Wide Angle Lenses

12 years 11 months ago #69263 by LukeWeymark
Hi All,

I own a D90 and have been using a 18-105mm Nikkor lens for the past year. It has been a great all rounder, which has served its purpose well during my travels. However I've been thinking about getting myself a wide angle to broaden my horizons a little.

I do a lot of traveling so most of my photography has been nature and landscape related, but I often feel like my photos are lacking something. And being the mass consumer that I am, I feel like a new lens will fix that :)

I've been trawling thought the NIkon website trying to work out what would be my best option the there are quite a few lenses to choose from. There's too many options. e.g. 35mm, 50mm, 17-35mm, FX, DX etc etc.

Is anyone able to shed some light on what I should be looking for?

Thanks a bunch!

Luke

12 years 11 months ago #69275 by Screamin Scott
Since you have a D90 (a DX format camera), you have to take the 1.5X "crop" factor into account. Thus a 50mm lens will have a field of view (FOV) of a 75mm lens has on a full frame (FX) camera. That said, your 18-105 has an equilvilent FOV of a 27mm lens on it's wide end. If you are looking to go wider, look for lenses starting at less than 18mm...Be advised that the wider you go, the more expensive these lenses get. You can lessen the $$$ layout somewhat by opting for a 3rd party lens...Hope this helps...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #69331 by Baydream

Screamin Scott wrote: Since you have a D90 (a DX format camera), you have to take the 1.5X "crop" factor into account. Thus a 50mm lens will have a field of view (FOV) of a 75mm lens has on a full frame (FX) camera. That said, your 18-105 has an equilvilent FOV of a 27mm lens on it's wide end. If you are looking to go wider, look for lenses starting at less than 18mm...Be advised that the wider you go, the more expensive these lenses get. You can lessen the $$$ layout somewhat by opting for a 3rd party lens...Hope this helps...

:goodpost: But if you are shooting wildlife from any distance, you will need a telephoto or telephoto zoom (at least 300mm).

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #69849 by Joves
Well if you are shooting mostly landscapes and such and find the 18-105 isnt wide enough then there is the 10.5 Fisheye which I have and love. If you want to start shooting more wildlife then there is the 70-300VR or the 80-400VR. Those two are the long reah budget lenses. I have the 80-400 and it is a great lens once you learn to use it right. But since you want the wider angle the 10.5 is the wide monster you may need. It has a close focusing distance of 1.5 inches and is actually very versatile when you learn to use it.
Desert View Grand Cayon.

Underground at Two Guns

Then it will do close to far as well.

12 years 11 months ago #69855 by MLKstudios
Nice work Joves. And yes, the 10.5mm is an affordable super wide for DX cameras.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

The following user(s) said Thank You: Joves
12 years 11 months ago #70317 by LukeWeymark
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. You've all been extremely helpful.

I'm feeling a lot more prepared to go shopping now!

Joves - Nice shots by the way!

Cheers,

Luke

The following user(s) said Thank You: Joves
12 years 10 months ago #77057 by JLBrown
I was looking at UWA lenses from third-party manufactures an ended up purchasing a Sigma 10-20 f/ 4-5/6. Sometimes a person must go wide.

12 years 10 months ago #77077 by Stealthy Ninja
Just buy the 14-24. You know you want to. :p
12 years 10 months ago #77251 by LukeWeymark
Stealthy Ninja - don't even joke around about that. I was salivating all over one in my local camera store yesterday.

12 years 10 months ago #77253 by LukeWeymark
How do you find that lens? I've thought about going for a third party lens, but unfortunately i'm a bit of a brand whore. Not a good trait.

I've also heard that the quality of the images aren't quite up to scratch with the Nikon lenses?

What are your thoughts? Is there a noticeable difference?

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #77279 by Rob pix4u2
I have Nikon glass and have always found the images to be sharp and of great quality, buy good glass and you won't regret it. The wide glass that I have for my D90 bodies is excellent and is Nikon ED glass, produces sharp images. I use it on a tripod or monopod mainly

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #77289 by Baydream

LukeWeymark wrote: Stealthy Ninja - don't even joke around about that. I was salivating all over one in my local camera store yesterday.

It's not his money he is spending. ;)

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #77363 by Shadowfixer1
I purchased a 12-24 Sigma. I hated it. I couldn't get anything sharp out of it until it hit f-8.0 and even that wasn't great. Go for the Nikon lens and you won't regret it.
12 years 10 months ago #77375 by LukeWeymark
Thats what i thought. I've got a 18-105mm Nikkor lens which has been amazing. Not sure I wan't to be downgrading :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024