Need advice on upgrading my camera

4 years 9 months ago #651432 by Calendyr
Hello everyone.  I am new to the forum and also to photography.

I purchased the Olympus E-410 about 10 years ago and only used it a handful of times during that period.  

Now I took an interest in photography and have been studying the art for about 2 months.

I can see a lot of shortcomings with my current equipment and want to upgrade it.

I like the 4/3 system so I would like to stay within that no matter what I go for.

I guess what I would like to know is: What is the best 4/3 Legacy camera, and what are the best lenses for sports photography. 

The one thing I quickly noticed while trying to take picture at an airshow was that the camera took a long time to focus and the majority of my pictures were out of focus.   When the planes were at low speed or on the ground, the image was superb, but trying to capture fast maneuvers was a nightmare.

I currently own the 2 kit lenses that came with the camera: 14-42mm 3.5f and the 40-150mm 4.0f

So obviously faster lenses would be nice, and also longer lenses as well.  I do have the 2x ec-20 interface so technically I can do 300mm.

I was looking at getting the E-5 off ebay.  But if I am gonna put a lot of money down on a camera body, I might as well get the best one that was available before they switches to micro four thirds.  And despite searching google for 2 hours, I was not able to find a guide showing the best or even top 5 cameras in the four thirds system.

So anything you can tell me would be much appreciated.

4 years 9 months ago #651436 by Piechura
Coincidentally, Tony Northup just uploaded a video on a lens that might be what you're looking for. It isn't cheap though.

But it's a useful video to see what you can expect from a micro four-thirds system in terms of wildlife photography. I know that's not what you're interested in, but there's a lot of crossover with wildlife and sports, and particularly with birds and planes as you might expect.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Calendyr
4 years 9 months ago #651460 by Shadowfixer1
Four thirds cameras haven't been made for quite a while so I wouldn't go that route. Not surprising you couldn't find much about them. I think you have 2 choices. Keep your lenses and get an E-M1 MK II and use them with an adapter. The E-M1's have PDAF which will focus your lenses. The better choice would be to sell your lenses and get a newer m43 body along with m43 compatible lenses. This is the better way to go. I suggest against trying build a system around old outdated technology. Your asking about sports and trying to use old 4/3 technology just doesn't work very well for that. The best sports camera for m43 is the E-M1X but that thing cost a ton. Good luck in your decision but I would abandon the old 4/3 line as it's getting long in the tooth. I use Olympus so this advice is from somebody that uses the system and not someone who never has and is only guessing.
4 years 9 months ago #651523 by Calendyr

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Four thirds cameras haven't been made for quite a while so I wouldn't go that route. Not surprising you couldn't find much about them. I think you have 2 choices. Keep your lenses and get an E-M1 MK II and use them with an adapter. The E-M1's have PDAF which will focus your lenses. The better choice would be to sell your lenses and get a newer m43 body along with m43 compatible lenses. This is the better way to go. I suggest against trying build a system around old outdated technology. Your asking about sports and trying to use old 4/3 technology just doesn't work very well for that. The best sports camera for m43 is the E-M1X but that thing cost a ton. Good luck in your decision but I would abandon the old 4/3 line as it's getting long in the tooth. I use Olympus so this advice is from somebody that uses the system and not someone who never has and is only guessing.

Yes in terms of camera quality and availability of accessories, going with the micro four thirds system would be ideal.  

My issue is that this is a new hobby for me.  I am not sure yet if I am gonna love it or not.  So I am not interested in spending thousands of dollars on high end cameras and lenses just to discover a few months from now that I don't care for it that much.

Currently with my setup I can do most types of photography.  The one limitation is on action stuff.  I know that the pro 70-300mm Olympus lens is supposed to be very good... but I am not ready to spend 2000$+ for it.  I have seen a few more recent bodies going for sub 1000$ on Ebay, I was just not sure what to buy.  

If I decided to ditch my lenses and body for something new, I would not be able to get the same thing for under 2K.  So that's not in the cards.

I have seen a lot of comments saying not to invest in an old system, I really don't understand why.  Once you have the lenses you need, what does it matter that other more recent products are available?  In my mind, if I can get a decent telephoto lens at a reasonable price, and maybe a better camera body.... I will be set,  Unless there is something I am not considering.  Also I have no issue buying used, people usually take good care of their camera gear and most of the time it is in great to pristine condition when you buy used.

4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #651548 by Shadowfixer1
You can always go the cheap route of buying a used E-M1 MK1 which is about 450 at KEH for excellent+ grade which will look brand new. Add a 4/3 to n43 adapter to it and it will autofocus the lenses you have. No need to go with an old body. The reason people say not to invest in old technology is the image quality and performance lags behind the newer stuff. Autofocus and image quality have come a long way. One more thing, there isn't a 75-300 Olympus Pro Lens. There is the 300 f-4.0 prime and the 40-150 f-2.8 zoom. Even if you decide you're not interested in photography, you could sell it and only be out very few dollars. That's what I would do, but to each his own.
4 years 9 months ago #651576 by Calendyr

Shadowfixer1 wrote: You can always go the cheap route of buying a used E-M1 MK1 which is about 450 at KEH for excellent+ grade which will look brand new. Add a 4/3 to n43 adapter to it and it will autofocus the lenses you have. No need to go with an old body. The reason people say not to invest in old technology is the image quality and performance lags behind the newer stuff. Autofocus and image quality have come a long way. One more thing, there isn't a 75-300 Olympus Pro Lens. There is the 300 f-4.0 prime and the 40-150 f-2.8 zoom. Even if you decide you're not interested in photography, you could sell it and only be out very few dollars. That's what I would do, but to each his own.

Ok makes sense if the bodies are a lot better then.  

What kind of hit would I take with the adaptor?  My extender makes me loose 2 steps if I remember correctly.  Do you get the same penalties with the adaptor?

450$ is really low.  I have seen E-5s going for just under 1000$ on Ebay.  I am not familiar with the model numbers, is the E-M1 Mk? the pro serie like that the E-5 is, or is it more of a consumer grade product like the E-520 would be?

As for the lens, you are right, I have been looking at too many lenses LOL  The pro one is  a prime lens, not a zoom.  I was mixing it with the 70-300 that isn't pro but seems like a good lens overall.

4 years 9 months ago #651577 by Shadowfixer1
No penalty concerning light with the adapter. It just corrects the registration distance from the lens to the sensor. The top Olympus models are the E-M1 MK 1 and the E-M1 MKII. The E-M1X is above them but its price is out of reach. The reason I don't recommend lower models is their lack of PDAF which helps a lot with focusing 4/3 lenses. The E-M1s are weather sealed as well if that is important to you. Good luck in your decision.   
4 years 9 months ago #651707 by Calendyr
Thanks, I will have a look at those models. Today it Prime day on Amazon... so maybe there will be a deal? ;)

4 years 9 months ago #651731 by KCook
I agree with all of the advice by Shadowfixer1. But, if you want to keep this super cheap, you should be able to pick up a used Oly 4/3 E-620 for small change. Which would still be a nice little bump up over the older E-410.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 9 months ago #652257 by Calendyr
Yes I was looking at the 620 and the 520.  Very small improvements over the 410.  The 520 is a better camera in terms of quality over the 410 and is a bit bigger.  The 620 is like a cross between the other 2, almost as small as the 410 and almost as good as the 520.

Then I started looking at the E-5 and was thinking about buying instead since it is a much better camera.

Price wise, I could find a 620 for about 100-200$. 

The OM-D E-M1 on the other hand, I just lost a bid was on ebay at 400$ (all prices are Canadian Dollars).  

I feel like having a much much better camera with the E-M1 is worth the extra money, even if I will also have to buy an adaptor.  My biggest issue with the E-410 is how slow it is, and how hard it is to get anything that moves into focus.  Looking at the specs of the E-M1, it's like night and day with the E-410.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024