Is my D-510 camera obsolete?

3 years 7 months ago #694455 by Sonofagun
I was told something about the cards for it are no longer any good or are unavailable.

3 years 7 months ago #694507 by Shadowfixer1
That camera has been obsolete for almost 20 years. 
3 years 7 months ago #694513 by Sonofagun
Well I need to be able to use it - it seems in good shape and I have been able to take some pics with it but it will only hold 3 pics with the card that's in it now.   Can I get a card for it that will allow more pics?  If so what card should I get?   I really don't know much about the tech side of digital cameras - I learned old school with film cameras.

3 years 7 months ago #694604 by Sonofagun
I joined here to get help - won't someone help me??   At least clarify what "obsolete" means - the same as unusable?   It takes a few pictures and seems all functions work.   

3 years 7 months ago #694607 by Screamin Scott
The camera is old and is only a 2MP sensor whereas most today range from 16-45 MP. It takes a "Smart Media" card. You can still find some used on Amazon but they look pretty pricey for such small capacity cards. eBay has cheaper used cards. The card that it came with is only an 8MB card. Cards for today's cameras are a lot bigger and less expensive. You will be able to get images, but they won't print very big or enlarge on a screen without serious image degradation. Thus, if all you want to do is view them on a screen (uncropped of course) then it may be OK. You are the only one who can decide that...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #694608 by Sonofagun
Yeah, I understand that most on here want the latest hi-tech cameras and gear and understand all this hi-tech computer gee-whiz stuff and do all kinds of fancy elaborate photography work Well, I don't - I barely know how to use these "old" cameras which still are good enough for what I need one for - taking pics of stuff to sell online (ebay); that's all and usually no more than a few dozen pics. I used a D-370 model for years until it finally wasn't good anymore but became familiar (barely) with using it - this 510 is similar and cheap ($5 at a garage sale).

OK, so I have to get a smart media card. One in it is a 64mb (wahteverthehellthatmeans) but I only can take 3 pics. Is that right? Damn, there isn't even a local camera shop I can take it to. Bought another cheap camera (a new vivitar) but hell if I can figure out using it!!

3 years 7 months ago #694609 by Screamin Scott
You should be able to get more than 3 pics on that card. Are you sure there are not other images on the card from before you bought it? That camera came with an 8mb card and I can see that card not allowing many images, but the 64mb card has 8 times the amount of storage space on it...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #694611 by Sonofagun
Oh, does it have to be an olympus card (or card for olympus cameras) or does any "smart media" card work universally? Shows you what I know about this stuff!!

3 years 7 months ago #694612 by Screamin Scott
The brand should not matter but it has to be a “smart media” card

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #694614 by Shadowfixer1
Make sure you erase all images on the card you have to see its capacity. If you have a cell phone, it will most likely take better pictures than this camera unless you phone is obsolete also. One reason you are not getting help is very few here would be familiar with that particular camera because of its age. People were shooting film instead because of the quality during that era. Everyone on this site doesn't think you need the latest and greatest but you need to understand the extremely limited amount of people that used this particular model. There is a good chance no one here did. Good luck in your quest.
3 years 7 months ago #694616 by Sonofagun
Don't own "smart" phone - wouldn't want one as a gift as I'd never figure out how to use it (other than making and getting phone calls).   Wish there was a "camera shop" to take it to - are those obsolete now too??!!

3 years 7 months ago #694620 by Sonofagun
"Are you sure there are not other images on the card from before you bought it?"

Have no idea or how to do that.

3 years 6 months ago #696309 by Naheed
The D-510 camera obsolete can only zoom up to 3.00x with its autofocus lens and has only 2 megapixels sensor. Its storage memory is only 8 MB. It is compatible with SmartMedia to 128MB.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024