E420 and shooting in low light

13 years 6 days ago #38164 by Lynn Kennedy
Just got back from a trip to Israel and had a lot of problem taking pictures in low light. I didn't bring my external flash. It would work on Auto sometimes, and sometimes on candle or fireworks setting. Another person who had a Canon said to take it off autofocus.

I will stand there trying to take a picture and it tries to focus and won't flash and it's just plain frustrating. I tried the A and S settings.

What's the answer to this problem?

13 years 4 days ago #39004 by Baydream
Digitalcamerareview had this to say about the E420 and auto-focus:
"While the E-420 offers good AF acquisition times for an entry-level product in moderate to good light, it struggles a bit in dim light. There is no dedicated AF assist lamp per se, but the built-in flash will act as such if it is deployed. Even with the flash functioning for AF assist, the E-420 generally took about 2 seconds to acquire focus in dim conditions; once it acquires focus, subsequent shots at a similar range find focus coming much quicker. If you're able, try to manually focus the camera on your subject in dim conditions to get the lens in "the vicinity" before using AF to fine tune the focus (but make sure you've set the AF mode to one that permits auto and manual focus via internal menu or the Super Control Panel – AF only is the E-420 default value)."

All AF cameras require a certain level of light to "see" well enough to auto-focus.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #46608 by Todd Frederick
If the AF is the problem it is probably best to focus manually as the Canon photographer suggested. Practice that at home.

12 years 10 months ago #67527 by Turbogirlie
Hi,

I have an E400 & have learned how to use it in low light conditions. I put it into Manual - it does autofocus but you have control over the settings. You can then adjust the ISO - the higher the ISO, the better the chance of taking the photo but you will lose definition - the image will become grainy (see image below - ISO 1600), you can also then tweak the aperture and the shutter speed.

Doesn't ALWAYS work, as it really does depend on what final image results you are looking for, but worth playing with.

Have fun experimenting - as Todd suggested, try practising at home.:thumbsup:

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #81401 by Turbogirlie
Here's a photo taken inside a church. Due to the decoration, I didn't want to use flash as:- 1) the photo wouldn't look right, and 2) I was worried that the flash would affect the paintings etc. So, hand held (hence not brilliant focus) with slow shutter speed, achieved these.

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lynn Kennedy

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024