70-300mm Lens

12 years 10 months ago #67529 by Turbogirlie
:woohoo: Just bought myself the 70-300mm Four Thirds Lens to go with my E400. Hopefully it will arrive on Monday next week, can then start playing & uploading results! It's not the pro lens - the max aperture on mine will be F4.0/F5.6 - Couldn't afford the pro lens at well in excess of £5K!:sick:

Will let you know how I get on - any comments or tips on using this beast would be appreciated!B)

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 10 months ago #67545 by chasrich
The only guideline I know to follow is to keep the shutter fast - above 1/300th of a second for the 300mm setting.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turbogirlie
12 years 10 months ago #67555 by Turbogirlie
Thanks Chas - will have lots of fun playing. Just started (only taken me 4yrs) to play with the 40-150mm lens I have - it's just a case of thinking out of the box a bit, as I like the whole image I get with the 14-42mm, but I don't always get the detail I want. Looking forward to experimenting! Maybe one day will upgrade the body, but the E400 was a birthday present, and, for now & long term future, fits my needs!

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 10 months ago #67567 by chasrich
I'm a big fan of Olympus. Be sure to take the new gun out and hunt up some wildlife.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #67573 by Turbogirlie
It's on the cards.............LOL! :)

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 10 months ago #69543 by Turbogirlie
Lens arrived today - what a beast! This is one for the tripod for sure at 615g! (I have neck & shoulder problems so stability for hand held is an issue for me)

All seems to work well, both manual and auto focus, so will have fun playing!

Once I get used to it, I'll upload some of the results for condemnation!!!!!!! Lol! :)

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 10 months ago #69545 by McBeth Photography
Congrats ..... remember to have fun! :cheer:

It is what it is.
12 years 10 months ago #69575 by Turbogirlie

McBeth Photography wrote: Congrats ..... remember to have fun! :cheer:

Will try to! :thumbsup:

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 10 months ago #69589 by Baydream

Turbogirlie wrote: Lens arrived today - what a beast! This is one for the tripod for sure at 615g! (I have neck & shoulder problems so stability for hand held is an issue for me)

All seems to work well, both manual and auto focus, so will have fun playing!

Once I get used to it, I'll upload some of the results for condemnation!!!!!!! Lol! :)

Congratulations. That big a lens needs a tripod, especially at the long end. Have fun.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #69619 by photobod
Its nice to see you getting something big and long Kaz, have heaps of fun with it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :banana: :banana: :banana: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :watching:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago #69675 by JLBrown
Enjoy the lens. Back in my Olympus days it was one of my favorite. Good lens to use for portraits.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #70335 by Turbogirlie

photobod wrote: Its nice to see you getting something big and long Kaz, have heaps of fun with it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :banana: :banana: :banana: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :watching:

Ooh err missus - don't let Fil read this or he'll be getting jealous! :toocrazy: :catfight: :toocrazy:

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 9 months ago #81795 by Turbogirlie
:( Ok, so I've had the lens out a couple of times. Some of you here on PT have seen these already on FB - sorry for the replication. Started with taking photos in the garden, to try & get a feel for the lens. Today tried to capture the birds on the feeders. Not overly happy with my technique with this lens - definitely more practise required. Was having fun, until I viewed the results on the computer.:pinch:

[attachment:10]C:\fakepath\_6050063.jpg[/attachment]

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

12 years 9 months ago #81799 by MLKstudios
Most Nikon and Canon shooters don't realize that Zuiko is one of the greatest lens makers, ever. I compare them to Leitz lenses in contrast and clarity, for a much lower price.

I have an OM-1 and OM-2 in my collection, and lots of Zuiko glass. I won't sell them.

Hope you get more used to the lens. I'm sure it is capable of a lot more than you've gotten so far.

Nice start though, and glad you are using it.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #82571 by Turbogirlie
Thanks for your kind words of support Matthew!B)

I have the Katz Eye Focusing Screen as the screen which came with the Olympus E400 was, I found, very difficult to focus with. The Katz Eye makes it easier, but I still find manual focusing difficult with the digital, compared to the 35mm Film SLR I have.

Luv Turbogirlie

xxx

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024