Getting started in flash photography

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #184811 by Heartfelt
I have a GH2. I have video experience but no professional stills experience although I am one of those who gets lucky with the family photos about 10% of the time with stunners.

My biggest downfall is flash. I have only used builtin flashes with my point and shoots but now with the DSLR (M4/3), I want to gear up, piece by piece to do some professional work.

Can someone recommend an on camera or an off camera solution that can be had on a modest budget?

Rob

12 years 3 months ago #187106 by icepics
There are probably almost too many choices... maybe narrow it down by price range to start? It might help to figure out how you anticipate using flash (what circumstances/environments); on-camera for example would seem to be more limited in usage. I don't do studio/portraits but photographers that do seem to need way more lighting equipment than I'd ever use, so what you want to photograph could make a difference.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #187178 by Heartfelt
Thanks for the reply. I just ordered a couple of flashes and umbrella/stand combos. I had been researching equipment since my post and watching a lot of videos of guys shooting with one or two off camera flashes. I think what I have is middle of the road and should suit me for a while.

Thanks for your kindness.
Rob

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #187509 by icepics
Nest time you might try another thread... since it's in an area about a specific brand, not too many people may have looked at it. There are plenty of people on here who do studio/portraits that next time could give you suggestions/feedback.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #187559 by Stealthy Ninja

icepics wrote: Nest time you might try another thread... since it's in an area about a specific brand, not too many people may have looked at it. There are plenty of people on here who do studio/portraits that next time you could give suggestions/feedback.

Yes, the problem here is that while the GH2 is a very nice video camera (despite it supposedly being a stills camera) especially with the hack ( ;) ) it's not so well accepted as a stills camera therefore solutions while out there won't be as easy to find as if you were using a more "mainstream" camera.

So anyway, I'd start with whatever flash they use for your system and get some sort of off camera triggers (to try that stuff). Bounce off walls to get softer light till you get the hang of it, then try umbrellas and multiple flash setups.

You'll be fine.
9 years 9 months ago #389118 by ambientphoto
Ambient photography is best service to giving many type of information about lot's of type of photography. in which i love flash photos and really now i want a best photographer for making trend in flash photography quickly.

9 years 7 months ago #397076 by ambientphoto
i love photography and i stared my study in photography please you always post a new photos and pictures i really want these.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024