Getting started in flash photography

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #184811 by Heartfelt
I have a GH2. I have video experience but no professional stills experience although I am one of those who gets lucky with the family photos about 10% of the time with stunners.

My biggest downfall is flash. I have only used builtin flashes with my point and shoots but now with the DSLR (M4/3), I want to gear up, piece by piece to do some professional work.

Can someone recommend an on camera or an off camera solution that can be had on a modest budget?

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 months ago #187106 by icepics
There are probably almost too many choices... maybe narrow it down by price range to start? It might help to figure out how you anticipate using flash (what circumstances/environments); on-camera for example would seem to be more limited in usage. I don't do studio/portraits but photographers that do seem to need way more lighting equipment than I'd ever use, so what you want to photograph could make a difference.

Sharon
Photo Comments

8 years 2 months ago #187178 by Heartfelt
Thanks for the reply. I just ordered a couple of flashes and umbrella/stand combos. I had been researching equipment since my post and watching a lot of videos of guys shooting with one or two off camera flashes. I think what I have is middle of the road and should suit me for a while.

Thanks for your kindness.
Rob

8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #187509 by icepics
Nest time you might try another thread... since it's in an area about a specific brand, not too many people may have looked at it. There are plenty of people on here who do studio/portraits that next time could give you suggestions/feedback.

Sharon
Photo Comments

8 years 2 months ago #187559 by Stealthy Ninja

icepics wrote: Nest time you might try another thread... since it's in an area about a specific brand, not too many people may have looked at it. There are plenty of people on here who do studio/portraits that next time you could give suggestions/feedback.

Yes, the problem here is that while the GH2 is a very nice video camera (despite it supposedly being a stills camera) especially with the hack ( ;) ) it's not so well accepted as a stills camera therefore solutions while out there won't be as easy to find as if you were using a more "mainstream" camera.

So anyway, I'd start with whatever flash they use for your system and get some sort of off camera triggers (to try that stuff). Bounce off walls to get softer light till you get the hang of it, then try umbrellas and multiple flash setups.

You'll be fine.

5 years 8 months ago #389118 by ambientphoto
Ambient photography is best service to giving many type of information about lot's of type of photography. in which i love flash photos and really now i want a best photographer for making trend in flash photography quickly.

5 years 7 months ago #397076 by ambientphoto
i love photography and i stared my study in photography please you always post a new photos and pictures i really want these.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

If you're looking for cheap laptops under $500, look no further than this list of some of the best laptops 2020 has to offer. In many cases, these inexpensive laptops are well under $200!

Mar 27, 2020

If you're in the market for one of the best lenses for beginner photographers, look no further than these versatile, budget-friendly options for Canon, Nikon, Sony, and more.

Mar 26, 2020

Is Elephant Stock worth your hard-earned dollars for a custom canvas print? In my Elephant Stock Review, learn the good, the bad, and the ugly of getting one of their fine art canvas prints.

Mar 25, 2020

These wedding photography marketing tips will help you spread the word about your business and generate more income from an increased number of clients.

Mar 25, 2020

If you're wondering how to improve your photography business, look no further than these sensible tips. Gain new skills, expand your service offerings, and be prepared to expand your business in the future.

Mar 25, 2020

If simple photography mistakes are getting you down, learn how to avoid common beginner photography mistakes so you can improve the quality of your photos. These tips will get you started!

Mar 25, 2020

Looking for things to do at home to pass the time? Need some activities for quarantine? This list will get you going with tons of ideas and resources!

Mar 24, 2020

Photography insurance is a must-have, yet some photographers roll the dice without it. In this guide, learn how to get photography insurance without paying high premiums.

Mar 24, 2020