Lossless telephoto function in the GH5

5 months 1 week ago #659032 by Chester Foster
I've heard about turning this on in the GH5 and would like to know what exactly is it doing?  I get that it adds reach with no loss in quality.  But is this an additional crop or digital zoom of some sort.  How is this even possible? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 week ago #659043 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Chester

Panny - like many other camera makers - offers a digital zoom arrangement internally that works with the JPG algorithm to produce a very fine image somewhat larger than before. They call it 'Ezy-zoom' and it magnifies the optical image by a factor of 1,4x

I have used it on many occasions and -yes- it does produce images that are more than acceptable for all but the most discerning viewers ~ but then we get into the arguments of best image quality via prime lenses vs zoom lenses vs in-computer cropping vs all the other bitz 'n pieces

For my money - in camera digital zoom before the JPG algorithm gets to the image will / does produce a slightly better result than in-computer cropping of an image after it has been saved to disk.

RAW users will tell you that via their use of RAW there is no image degradation anyway - but this Ezy-zoom & similar stuff is for JPG users ... ie: the vast majority of digital camera users

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 months 1 week ago #659046 by Piechura
If it's anything like the GH2, which I still use, then it's a video function, not a photo one (called ex-teleconverter). As I understand it, because video doesn't need to use the whole sensor, what cameras usually do is convert the data that the sensor captures into a smaller file by deleting some of what is captured. What this feature does is only use enough of the sensor to make up the file size needed, so it deletes the data by cropping rather than deleting lines. Hence why you can digitally zoom more in 1080p (2.7x) than you can with 4K (1.4x).

What I can tell you is that on the GH2, and it's unlikely to have got worse on newer models, it definitely does work without any noticeable difference in quality. But as I said, it's only a video feature.

5 months 6 days ago #659172 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Chester

Our colleague Piechura is pretty close to the mark above ... the Ezy-Zoom feature I have used for the last 10 yrs or so has been 'updated' into the "4K photo" system. My earlier G2 body along with other Panny cameras all had the Ezy-Zoom when you chose to downsize pixel recording from "L" to "M" or "S" - with "M" giving you a 1,4x digital zoom and "S" giving a 2x digital zoom

Now with the 4K / 6K video plus 4K single / multi photo image shooting regime, [as Piechura also says] via the usage of a reduced pixel area, the apparent image size is increased, therefore appearing to be a longer zoom at the same time.

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 months 6 days ago #659195 by Roger Lang
A buddy has a GH5, amazing that camera is 2 years old and still kicking hard in 2019. 

Photo Comments

4 months 3 weeks ago #660698 by Chester Foster
Cheers peeps, all good.  Your help was appreciated and I'm up to snuff now.  

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020

In this Leica SL Typ 601 review, learn why this camera is still a marvel five years after its release, and find out where you can get the best deals on used versions.

Feb 14, 2020

In a Sony a9 vs Sony a9 II comparison, you might think the a9 II would be the clear winner. Not so fast! The older a9 has a distinct advantage - a much better price.

Feb 12, 2020

There are tons of options in terms of a camera on a budget. But with so many choices, it's hard to know what the ultimate deals are. Here are three top choices for budget-friendly DSLRs.

Feb 12, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The holy trinity of landscape photography lenses includes three zooms - a wide-angle, a standard, and a telephoto. If you can fill out your kit with these lenses, you'll be sitting pretty!

Feb 20, 2020

Photo by Goh Rhy Yan on Unsplash While it's no secret that China heavily relies on state surveillance to mediate their country...

Feb 20, 2020

Making great videos requires that you have the capability to record superb sound. Get critical audio recording tips in this tutorial on audio tips for videographers.

Feb 19, 2020

With these urban photography tips you'll have a better idea of the gear you need and the compositional choices to make in order to get the best shots.

Feb 18, 2020

jungle photography, jungle photography tips, landscape photography, landscape photography gear

Feb 18, 2020

Starting a photography business requires you to do it in a way that is legitimate and legal. Get some critical tips on how to make your photography business legal in this quick tutorial.

Feb 17, 2020

Getting a beautiful canvas print requires much more than finding a good printer. Instead, you need to consider the various canvas print options in order to get the best-looking results.

Feb 17, 2020

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 III vs OM-D E-M5 II debate has raged for nearly three years. So which of these micro four thirds cameras is right for you? Find out in this comparison review!

Feb 17, 2020