Lossless telephoto function in the GH5

10 months 3 weeks ago #659032 by Chester Foster
I've heard about turning this on in the GH5 and would like to know what exactly is it doing?  I get that it adds reach with no loss in quality.  But is this an additional crop or digital zoom of some sort.  How is this even possible? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 months 3 weeks ago #659043 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Chester

Panny - like many other camera makers - offers a digital zoom arrangement internally that works with the JPG algorithm to produce a very fine image somewhat larger than before. They call it 'Ezy-zoom' and it magnifies the optical image by a factor of 1,4x

I have used it on many occasions and -yes- it does produce images that are more than acceptable for all but the most discerning viewers ~ but then we get into the arguments of best image quality via prime lenses vs zoom lenses vs in-computer cropping vs all the other bitz 'n pieces

For my money - in camera digital zoom before the JPG algorithm gets to the image will / does produce a slightly better result than in-computer cropping of an image after it has been saved to disk.

RAW users will tell you that via their use of RAW there is no image degradation anyway - but this Ezy-zoom & similar stuff is for JPG users ... ie: the vast majority of digital camera users

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

10 months 3 weeks ago #659046 by Piechura
If it's anything like the GH2, which I still use, then it's a video function, not a photo one (called ex-teleconverter). As I understand it, because video doesn't need to use the whole sensor, what cameras usually do is convert the data that the sensor captures into a smaller file by deleting some of what is captured. What this feature does is only use enough of the sensor to make up the file size needed, so it deletes the data by cropping rather than deleting lines. Hence why you can digitally zoom more in 1080p (2.7x) than you can with 4K (1.4x).

What I can tell you is that on the GH2, and it's unlikely to have got worse on newer models, it definitely does work without any noticeable difference in quality. But as I said, it's only a video feature.

10 months 3 weeks ago #659172 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Chester

Our colleague Piechura is pretty close to the mark above ... the Ezy-Zoom feature I have used for the last 10 yrs or so has been 'updated' into the "4K photo" system. My earlier G2 body along with other Panny cameras all had the Ezy-Zoom when you chose to downsize pixel recording from "L" to "M" or "S" - with "M" giving you a 1,4x digital zoom and "S" giving a 2x digital zoom

Now with the 4K / 6K video plus 4K single / multi photo image shooting regime, [as Piechura also says] via the usage of a reduced pixel area, the apparent image size is increased, therefore appearing to be a longer zoom at the same time.

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

10 months 3 weeks ago #659195 by Roger Lang
A buddy has a GH5, amazing that camera is 2 years old and still kicking hard in 2019. 

Photo Comments

10 months 1 week ago #660698 by Chester Foster
Cheers peeps, all good.  Your help was appreciated and I'm up to snuff now.  

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

Latest Articles

With this list of gifts for photographers under $250, you have tons of great holiday gift ideas for the photographer on your list!

Aug 06, 2020

The Canon EOS 80D is several years old, but it has some great specs and features that still make it a solid choice in 2020.

Aug 05, 2020

A great way to supplement your income is to sell stock photos. The question is, how do you sell photos online? Use these tips to increase stock photography sales.

Aug 04, 2020

Our upcoming photography trek and adventure series will provide you with actionable steps you can take to improve your photography and get ready for outdoor adventures of your own.

Aug 04, 2020

Not sure how to use your camera as a webcam? Use this guide to learn how to set up a DSLR or mirrorless camera with your computer.

Aug 04, 2020

A common question beginner photographers have is, what are step up rings? Learn what they are, why they're valuable, and where you can get a next-generation step up ring.

Aug 04, 2020

Photographing fog and photographing mist can be a challenge, but with these tips, you can get improved images on early morning foggy landscapes.

Aug 04, 2020

In this Sony a5100 vs Sony a6000 comparison review, you'll learn how these cameras are similar and different, including build quality, video performance, price, and more!

Aug 03, 2020