Panasonic Leica lenses these same as Leica?

4 years 6 months ago #659439 by Office Guy
I'm thinking about moving to Panasonic and just thought about something.  Panasonic lenses are co-branded with Leica, so are these the same as a Leica lens? 

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659540 by garyrhook
Only Panasonic and/or Leica can answer that question.

Panasonic has been touting Leica glass for quite a while. But it's not clear what that means, precisely.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659567 by icepics
Leica partnered with Panasonic and Sigma to produce lenses to work with Leica's new(er) L lens mount. I don't know if Leica has any involvement in the design or manufacture of the lenses.

I think Panasonic and Sigma are producing their lenses for the Leica L mount; I don't know that you'd be getting a lens comparable to Leica lenses (probably not, I think you'd be getting a Panasonic or SIgma that fits the L mount).

l-mount.com

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #659571 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day OG

There are possibly 2 answers here ...
1) I use Panny superzoom / bridge cameras and all my lenses are branded 'Leica'. Overall their sharpness and overall image quality is more than good enough for me. A few years back when I had the Panny FZ30 [small sensor], 12x zoom [35-400mm FF equiv] lens job as well as the Pentax [APS-sensor] with Sigma 28-135 APO and the Sigma 70-300 APO lenses, I tested both Sigmas against the Panny 'Leica' lens. In most side-by-side comparisons the Panny / Leica images were sharper, although noise from the small sensor was more evident than the Pentax images. After all, the Pentax sensor is 9x larger in area than the Panny sensor!! ps: if you want a PDF copy of the lens target, email me:)

2) From industry reviews into Leica equipment, I am well aware that all mechanical and optical components are carefully selected to ensure that they are 'the best possible' as against us with 'commercial' grade equipment where all the components "pass quality control inspection". Therefore I would expect Leica branded cameras and lenses to be better quality than the commercial grade stuff ~ and the price reflects this as well

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024