Pixel size issues

2 months 4 weeks ago #671062 by [email protected]
Hi I am trying to sort my camera to take photos for my etsy (on line shopping) site and struggling!  My camera is a Panasonic DMC FZ1000.   Etsy require photos to be 4:3 and 2000 pixels wide.  I have set my camera AI, Picture size EX(M) 9M 3456 x 2592 however the image taken on these settings are s are 1024 x768.  Help - what am I doing wrong?   Thanks in advance Clare

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 weeks ago #671806 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Clare

Firstly - WELCOME to the photo forum where there are many here with heaps of knowledge and willing to help you and other beginners

The 2000px restriction is a quite arbitary number invented by the selling website, mostly to cut down on their internet storage needs plus the comms costs for transmitting images to and fro across the phone lines. It is a maximum size and a) there is no reason for you to post to that exact size, and b) size reductions are mostly done in the computer before uploading to the internet

As I do not know what photo editing software you have available, let's try using Windows Paint
1) open Windows Paint then open your image
2) with the image on the screen, choose Resize > then click Pixels (not percentage) > then change the Horizontal from whatever the camera has used to become 2000 > then OKAY
3) do not click onto the floppy disk icon
4) please click onto the Paint Menu down pointer (way up in the top left corner) > then SAVE-As > then JPEG > then give your photo a new name eg: topic becomes topic (2)
5) close and exit Paint

You now have your original camera photo plus a 2000px photo called "topic (2).JPG"
Good Luck :)

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder

2 months 3 weeks ago #671945 by ana luis
facing same issue .  

2 months 3 weeks ago #671956 by [email protected]
Thanks Phil for your reply and time, I have resized photos using websites but this is time consuming when you have many photographs. Is it possible with the Panasonic DMC FZ1000 to customise the size of the photograph before you take the photo so you don't have to edit afterwards.
Any suggestions on how to do this or whether it is possible?
Many thanks, Clare.

2 months 3 weeks ago #672097 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Clare

Two possible answers ...
a) page 196 of the manual "Picture sizes"
If you [record menu] choose 'S" small picture size and 16 x 9 Aspect ratio, then your image size becomes 1920 x 1080 pixels -or- using the square Aspect ratio, the image size becomes 1824 x 1824 pixels

b) I use PS Elements software for my foto editing - and it has a bulk image modification option.  I don't know what you have at your end, but maybe this is an option you may not be aware of.  In the PS E case, you select the original images then send the resized images to a different folder so that you always have the originals to come back to if needed at full size

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020

Latest Articles

For many Realtors, DIY real estate photography is necessary because they can't access or afford professional real estate photography services. Get some quick photography tips for Realtors in this guide.

Mar 27, 2020

If you're looking for cheap laptops under $500, look no further than this list of some of the best laptops 2020 has to offer. In many cases, these inexpensive laptops are well under $200!

Mar 27, 2020

You want to invest in camera gear that will give you long-lasting performance. The photography gear on this list fits the bill to a tee!

Mar 27, 2020

If you're in the market for one of the best lenses for beginner photographers, look no further than these versatile, budget-friendly options for Canon, Nikon, Sony, and more.

Mar 26, 2020

Is Elephant Stock worth your hard-earned dollars for a custom canvas print? In my Elephant Stock Review, learn the good, the bad, and the ugly of getting one of their fine art canvas prints.

Mar 25, 2020

These wedding photography marketing tips will help you spread the word about your business and generate more income from an increased number of clients.

Mar 25, 2020

If you're wondering how to improve your photography business, look no further than these sensible tips. Gain new skills, expand your service offerings, and be prepared to expand your business in the future.

Mar 25, 2020

If simple photography mistakes are getting you down, learn how to avoid common beginner photography mistakes so you can improve the quality of your photos. These tips will get you started!

Mar 25, 2020