Focus Issues

4 years 6 days ago #681878 by jasonjdking
I bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ-80 for Christmas and I've been reading the manual trying to figure out how to stop the 1-area-focusing from going where ever it wants to. I set it to dead center and it may stay there for a few shots then when I try to take another shot it's located some where else in viewfinder/screen and tries to focus there. It is really annoying having to try and reset it before my subject disappears.

4 years 6 days ago #681887 by Shadowfixer1
I don't know this camera but if I had to guess what is happening is you are hitting the 4 way controller if it has one and inadvertently moving the focusing point. It could also be an accidental tap of the screen if it has focus to touch on screen. If it has the 4 way controller for moving the focusing point, see if it can be disabled. If it has touch to focus, turn that option off. If it doesn't have either of these then I have no clue because I'm not familiar with this model.
4 years 6 days ago #681905 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Jason

I am a panny user too :)

Okay- it sounds as though you have the LCD screen 'open' to view and as it is a touch screen, it will move stuff around the screen willy-nilly each time you accidentally touch the LCD screen. It is a damn nuisance and I hate it

Goto page 200 of the manual ... or play with the custom menu to disable it completely or partially

Personally- I rarely use the rear screen ... preferring to use the eyepiece 99% of the time. The only times I use the rear screen is when I can't see the eyepiece - ie: when the camera is on the ground for an insect or something like this

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 6 days ago #681906 by jasonjdking
This was doing it even with the lcd off and using the viewfinder I just shut the touch focus and the pad focus off will test it out as soon as it quits raining here Thanks

4 years 6 days ago #681907 by jasonjdking
Thank You I have now disabled both now just waiting for the rain to stop so I can go outside and test it.

4 years 5 days ago - 4 years 5 days ago #682016 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Jason

Good to hear the so-far, it seems to have offered you a solution

ps- If you are a facebook user pop into this site, goto FILES and download any of the PDFs relating to subjects of interest to you
www.facebook.com/groups/fzcommunity/

4 years 12 hours ago #682427 by jasonjdking
I tried the suggestions they work temporarily then the touch focus setting turns itself back on same with the touch pad I have also noticed that when I change the exposure compensation to -2/3 or -1/3 it resets itself to +2/3 even when I save everything to custom function.

4 years 8 hours ago - 4 years 8 hours ago #682430 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Jason
Give me today to think it over and I will respond tonight (my time)
...... equally, our mate Gary might have an answer

Phil

4 years 8 hours ago #682432 by jasonjdking
Okay Thanks

4 years 6 hours ago #682439 by garyrhook
My GH7 has been assigned a task to support remote meetings, so it's not at home right now. Thus, I can't experiment.

I'd look first to see if there's a firmware update for the camera, though. Maybe it's a bug that's been fixed?

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #682446 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Jason

Examining the FZ-80 book shows that all the touch screen stuff and settings appears identical to my FZ-2500 ~ so unless there is something unique to the -80 these multiple issues 'should' be fixable :)

Okay- p200 of the -80 manual shows a full list of touch options incl the reference that "when touch screen is turned 'off' then ALL associated options are disabled also. This clearly implies that the the focus point cannot have its position altered manually. (when I test it here, I cannot finger-move the focus point anywhere) Does it move for you? > if it does there is a fault somewhere

However > several function buttons only exist on the touch screen, so by turning 'off' the screen, you also lose several Fn buttons unless you allocate them to an existing button elsewhere (see p-47)

= if= you are sure that you have turned 'off' the touch screen stuff but the focus point can still be moved via your fingertip, then something else is causing it. Goto the left-cursor button and open the focus-point menu. Here you can change the size & shape & position of the focus point -but- after clicking okay, it should not move around the screen. Does it? > if it does there is a fault somewhere

Exposure issues
At the top-right on the rear panel is the exposure adjustment dial. It does 2 things and your finger needs to be careful here (but the screen changes showing you what it is up to)
a) rotate the dial right or left to increase or decrease exposure ... using P-A-S modes at least.
b) press the dial - feel the 'click' - and it will jump to the bracketing menu. You then rotate the dial to determine how extreme the exposures will be either side of 'normal'
The qty of bracketed exposures is determined within the custom menu ... 3 or 5 or 7 exposures (p-128 shows you more info)

Have a play in your loungeroom and see what's happening, and let us know how it all goes :)

Hope this helps

3 years 11 months ago #682948 by jasonjdking
Thanks for your responses. I took it out for a hike yesterday and again today with no issues and the picture quality is almost where I want it. Just a couple more tweaks and all will be good

3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #682965 by Ozzie_Traveller
Excellent!

I shoot jpg all the time and I have tweaked the 'photo style' settings for Vivid + several +/- tweaks in the colour options

Does me nicely
Phil

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024