Which lens for Panasonic GH5 for video?

1 year 6 months ago #684293 by NickSano
My main camera is a Nikon, I've been hearing for some time about the GH5 being an awesome video camera.  Turns out luck paid me a visit and I got a killer deal on a used body only.  I just don't know enough about their lenses.

Can you suggest one to me please?  All I'm going to use the camera for is for video.  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 6 months ago #685128 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Nick

Anyone who has bought a new panny G-body will have "yet another" 14-42 lens in their collection ... along with the extra lenses that one purchases for the style of imagery one wants to end up with

I suggest that you put out a search for someone's "unwanted" 14-42 and do a deal with them. (we're in Oz, but I'm sure that you could find something closer to you)

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 year 6 months ago #685150 by Piechura
If you're wanting a zoom lens, then ideally you want one with an continuous aperture.

A lot of GH5 owners go for the Lumix Vario 12-35mm f2.8 and the 7-14mm f2.8, but neither are particularly cheap. If you have the money, there's even a 10-25mm f1.7. Olympus do some f4 constant aperture zooms that are a bit cheaper. It also depends what kind of videos you're going to be shooting.

If you're shooting things where you don't need to react really quickly, then a set of primes might be better, especially since faster speed will compensate for the smaller sensor size. I bought a GH2 nearly 10 years ago and bought it with the Lumix 20mm f1.7, the Lumix 14mm f2.5 and the Olympus 45mm f1.8. I find that a good wide angle is always the toughest to find with prime lenses. That 14mm isn't the best, but it's a huge jump up in price to get something wider and faster. I did enjoy using the 20mm and 45mm though (although the latter isn't stabilized, which is a nightmare on the GH2, which also isn't).

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D3X is a 13-year-old high-end camera. The question is, does it still have what it takes to be a pro-level camera in 2021? The answer might surprise you.

Nov 19, 2021

The Canon EOS Rebel SL1 was the smallest DSLR on the market when it came out in 2013. Is it still a decent option for photographers in 2021? Let's find out!

Nov 04, 2021

The Nikon D4 is nearly a decade old, but despite its age, it still offers a lot of features and benefits for professional and amateur photographers alike.

Nov 03, 2021

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021

Latest Articles

In this Sony camera shoppers guide, get details on some of Sony's best cameras for photographers and videographers.

Dec 06, 2021

The Canon EOS R has been out a few years now, which means the price has dropped, making it a great option for budget-conscious photographers.

Dec 06, 2021

Not sure where to spend your money on photography gear? Use this guide to learn what items are essential photography gear and what items can wait.

Dec 03, 2021

Learn how to create emotions in photos and help viewers connect with the subject with these simple, yet effective portrait photography tips.

Dec 03, 2021

Use this teleprompter shopping guide to learn about the features you should look for in a teleprompter.

Dec 01, 2021

Learn how to get sharp photos in camera and without using post-processing in this quick beginner photography tutorial.

Dec 01, 2021

If you're in the market for a new camera, you might have questions about the micro four thirds vs APS-C debate. Get the scoop on these common camera systems in this guide!

Dec 01, 2021

In this comprehensive WhiteWall metal print review, we'll take a look at the quality of the print and give you information about WhiteWall that will help you decide if it's the right printing company for your needs.

Nov 30, 2021