Pentax-Ricoh

12 years 6 months ago #157716 by icepics
I hadn't seen this til today, had no idea Ricoh had bought Pentax from Hoya (or realized that Hoya owned Pentax for that matter) www.ricoh.com/about/pri/index.html . My first SLR was a Ricoh and so is my digtal camera. Seems like they're doing cameras more on an international level, here in the US I'd thought they just did mostly copiers etc. til I happened to run across their website.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158304 by Henry Peach
The first SLR I used was a Pentax K1000, but the first one I owned was a Ricoh KR-5. Looking back that was a pretty good camera. I ended up selling it to a friend. These days they go for about $20 on Ebay. A great deal for anyone wanting to try film for cheap.
12 years 6 months ago #158668 by orion
Ive heard that u can use the pentax k lenses on the new pentax digital slr's. dont know if this is new tho. I have a k1000, me super and mx bodies.

12 years 6 months ago #159148 by icepics
I think you're right Orion that the K mount lenses that fit older Pentax K cameras are supposed to fit newer digital bodies, but I'm not familiar enough with Pentax to know if they're entirely compatible.

My first Ricoh, and the first camera I ever bought, was a Singlex II. It's still... well, usable (concrete floor, hockey rink....). Since the last time it took a tumble it went lens first it needs more repair than I want to try myself. I know it has no actual value to put money into repairing it but I love that old camera, and just found a Ricoh lens for it cheap. Now I have the Ricoh GXR digital and am waiting for the new unit for M mount lenses to come out.

I think you're right Matt, some of the older mechanical SLR's do seem to be easy enough to find and aren't exactly going to break the bank. I don't find much of anything Ricoh but the Pentax K's seem to have been more popular, I see more of those secondhand.

(And I finally figured out where I think you got the name Henry Peach... ).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #159804 by Henry Peach

icepics wrote: I don't find much of anything Ricoh but the Pentax K's seem to have been more popular, I see more of those secondhand.

(And I finally figured out where I think you got the name Henry Peach... ).

The Ricoh SLRs used the Pentax K mount, so Pentax lenses work on the Ricoh bodies.

H.P. Robinson , my favorite Photoshopper from 100 years before Photoshop.
12 years 5 months ago #159831 by icepics
You know I've seen Ricoh listed with Pentax sometimes for used cameras but didn't realize some have the same lens mount. I read that Ricoh originated with actually a Nikkor mount maybe? - then went with a screwmount, that's what mine is. I see more listings for the later Kr, not too many for the Singlex II. Well it's lasted for over 30 years and still works even with the current damage (and if I hadn't spent time dragging it around old hockey barns it wouldn't be in need of repair!)

I cheated, I googled your screen name, figured there had to be some significance to it. Wasn't exactly a surprise that it had a connection to photography.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #235511 by Provo
Ricoh does much more then copiers
look up on google "teknoforce" Total Business class IT solutions.

Ricoh also purchased Ikon
Pentax is a Ricoh Owned company but operated as a sub division

PROVO

11 years 10 months ago #235552 by icepics
I think you're right, but the last I looked at their site it seems like they're moving more toward either using the Pentax name more or maybe merging the two. They are supposed to be coming out with a new Pentax DSLR but I don't remember when.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #240964 by Henry Peach
They would be fools to drop the Pentax brand name in favor of the Ricoh brand name. Whether it's true or not, I think most photographers would give a higher favor-ability rating to Pentax over Ricoh. There's more name recognition, and Pentax has more street cred. I've owned and used both. Ricoh cameras are fine cameras, but they've always been an uncool brand among photographers. Why fight that when you just bought the rights to use the Pentax brand name and it's history?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024