Pentax Optio 50L

13 years 6 months ago #2087 by sleepydwarf
I have a little Pentax Optio 50L which has been working perfectly up until the weekend. Now every time I want to transfer pictures to the computer it comes up with: “Power Surge on Hub Port: - A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port; Click this message; A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port. You should disconnect the device. To re-enable the port, disconnect the hardware and click reset”. Okay, so I did this and still nothing. Does anyone know what this actually means and why all of a sudden it won't let me access my pictures? More importantly, does anyone know how to fix it?

13 years 6 months ago #2088 by crystalwater
Is it a powered hub? i.e. it has a mains transformer plugged into it? If it is, and the transformer is no longer powering the hub then the hub might be working as an 'unpowered hub' and doesn't like the extra load of your camera i.e. exceeding the current supply limits of unpowered hubs. Check fuses, connections etc of the transformer.

13 years 6 months ago #2089 by sleepydwarf
I forgot to mention, that I have an older digital camera - fujifilm FinePix - and I am able to plug that in to the same USB connection and download photos, but it just now decided it doesn’t like the Pentax - for no apparent reason. I have had the Pentax for 5 months and have had no problems - the camera works fine. I have checked all connections etc, but given that one camera works and now the Pentax doesn't, I initially thought it was the actual USB connection cable - which it isn't.

13 years 6 months ago #2090 by morepyre
It simply means that the camera is drawing too much power. If it is plugged in Via a USB hub, plug it directly into the computer. The other camera working has nothing to do with it - perhaps the Pentax runs off the PC's power when the other one didn't. Or perhaps they just have different power requirements. As to why it's just happened now - have you added a new USB peripheral or anything? Or it might just be a Windows update or something that allows the computer to recognize that the camera's drawing a bit too much power. But using a USB hub (if you are) is generally a bad idea. Plug the cable directly into the PC or if it directly in the PC at the moment, try a different socket (I.e. if it's plugged in the back, try plugging it in the front and vice versa). But the best thing to do would be to buy a card reader.

13 years 6 months ago #2091 by poppy99
At one of the schools I work at they had a Canon Ixus which would happily transfer pix from camera to computer using a usb cable then one day it suddenly would not transfer photos despite of trying another usb cable which worked on other cameras, weird. My solution was tell them to buy a card reader.

13 years 6 months ago #2092 by digitalforever
I second that suggestion - buy a card reader and put the SD card in the reader, so there's no need to connect the camera to the pc.

13 years 6 months ago #2093 by minicooper
The camera could have developed a fault, which is causing it to draw more power than it should. As suggested get a card reader, downloading from the camera is a crap way of doing it.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024