Client Complaints

12 years 2 months ago #194619 by Jeannie_Cee
Lately two clients from two separate occasions have been disappointed in my work.

Both events were traditional african events, one being a lobola (please google lobola) and then a traditional wedding.

I met up with these clients to discuss the necessary procedures and what their requirements are and to give them the contract to read through and sign which they both did and they stressed to me that they understood.

Earlier today I received an e-mail from the one I did the lobola and she said she does not like the quality of my photos compared to the one's I posted on my blog which she saw and loved so I am not sure if the dvd I gave her with low-res photos could be the problem. When I say low-res it is still good viewing quality. I keep hi-res for printing purposes and where I make extra money. Another reason was when I took their photos it was taken at midday, summer time in full full sunlight. Not my favourite but that was no problem. The surroundings were horrible but what can you do but to make the most of it.

I do not know how to react to this situation. The photos were not horrible and if she loved what she saw on the web, what has suddenly changed?

It's not nice getting e-mails like this when you are offering a service you take great pride in.

As for the traditional wedding, well there is not much to say except that she was in a terrible mood on the day of the wedding and was shouting at everyone including me. It was most likely all the stress but she was in such a hurry to get to the reception that I did not take many of the couple photos but the family photos seemed to interest her more than anything else so I was angry inside. They had a morning wedding and it was a good opportunity to spend more time with the bride and groom afterwards but she was having temper tantrums and was very uncoopperative the whole day.

The bride also complained how expensive my photo books are.

After all is said and done you can't change what you have given to the client.
12 years 2 months ago #194623 by Darrell
I can see why that would bother you, but keep in mind you can not please everyone. I once heard a small business owner say that he finds he spends 70% of his time trying to satisfy 30%. The majority of people will be happy when served with a good product and there are others who feel they must challenge you every inch of the way. Perhaps to satisfy yourself you could get a 3rd party opinion, ( someone that will give an honest critique)

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #194628 by scifitographer
Honestly it sounds like you've had a bridezilla. Don't worry about it, everyone gets one of those brides eventually. I had one once who was a monster to work with on the day of the wedding. I sent her the link to her web gallery and never heard a thing, never received a print order, nothing. A little more than a year later she called me to say how much she loved her wedding photos and wanted to know if I was available to shoot her wedding. I suddenly became very booked on the day in question..

As for the other lady, call or email her to find out what she isn't happy about. It doesn't sound like she's upset with the photos. She might be trying to make the photos bigger and finding out she can't. If she tries to browbeat you into giving her larger photos for free be sure to quote your contract. Offer to send her a price sheet and if you sell higher res digital files mention that too. Don't let this one sit around, even if she isn't happy with what you tell her she won't be able to say you ignored her.

12 years 2 months ago #194632 by Jeannie_Cee
Thanks!

I'm just feeling totally bummed out at the moment.

As for the bride, I didn't get any thank you whatsoever. She even asked me to take the photos down from my blog even though my contract states that the images will be used.

I asked the other client to e-mail the photos she does not like. She said she does not like most of them so I will have to wait and see.

What would have changed?? Maybe they photos copied incorrectly to the dvd though I doubt that very much or perhaps she printed some for herself at some dodgy printers. Will see when I speak to her again.

I get great reviews from all my other clients but I have to get some that are "off". I am going to say no to such traditional events next time. I do not need to attract clients like this. Not anymore.
12 years 2 months ago #194635 by Darrell
One issue maybe she does not like how she looks in the pictures, I did a family portrat of 5. The Mother was the one picking out the pictures they wanted to buy, She only looked at her self in the pictures, I had to point out to her that the picture she picked showed her son with his head cocked sideways. I also had a young Mother who asked if I could fix her chipmunk cheeks, I couldn't see them at all, but to her they were a big issue, and an easy fix by moving her hair in PS.

And I also agree the lady with CD tried to print the pictures herself.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #194637 by Jeannie_Cee
I've just gone through every single photo and I am dying to know what is wrong with them. She said she is going to e-mail some of them to me. Very curious to know and I will ask her if she tried to print them.

Enough is enough.
12 years 2 months ago #194664 by scifitographer
Is it possible that she looked at the website on one computer and then opened the cd on another? Could just be a problem with an uncalibrated monitor..

12 years 2 months ago #194728 by Baydream
My guess is that the "traditional" ceremony lady wants to have larger prints "on the cheap". If she got what the contract called for, she has not beef. Wait and see what she is complaining about.

As for bridezilla, she wouldn't be satisfied with anything. Remind her of the contract. For "group" portraits at the wedding, it's a good idea to have the client prepare a list of requested shots beforehand. As long as the "subjects" cooperate, that will eliminate some issues. Make her aware that more shots means more $ and can seriously delay departing for the reception. At one last summer (as a second shooter), the list was very long and took well over an hour, and took a lot of time "rounding up" the subjects. Had to have another family member with the list scout ahead and have the right people ready. It was a pain but since the guests came from across Canada, it was worth it.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #194786 by TheNissanMan
I know it sounds obvious and apologies if it is a stupid question but have you asked specifically what they do not like about the images?

It may turn out to be something daft that can easily be rectified?

As for being bummed out, don't let it get to you, you are obviously happy with the end result or you would not have posted them on your website (which I wouldn't remove if your ahppy with as per contract). Easier said than done I know.

In terms of Customer Satisfaction it's getting harder and harder to please people in general these days, 50% of my salary is based on our customers saying that they would defiantely recommend, typically if one customer a quarter says that they would probably recommend us is enough to kill that quarters bonus so know exactly how you feel aboutr being bummed out.

12 years 2 months ago #194884 by proverbs3photos
I agree with what everyone else said on here. Would you mind sharing a couple of those pictures on here so we can see what you're talking about? Or a link to your blog?

I recently experienced something like this too... where the people were trying to get the "cheaper way out" (only it was VERY obvious that's what the intent was). I had already cut them a REALLY good deal but it just goes to show that you can't please everyone and sometimes you just have to move on and put your smile back on. Good luck though! :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024