Taking photos of people on the street? Need help on how to approach them?

13 years 6 months ago #202 by ShadowWalker
Typically I enjoy landscape, nature and macro photography. However I would like to get into photographing people on the street in candid scenes. Now I can use a longer lens to take a photo and have the individual(s) not even know I took a photo of them. However I would prefer to have their blessing which will allow me to get closer to them during the photo. I want them to be relax and act unaware I'm there taking the photo. So what is the best method?

Photo Comments
13 years 6 months ago #1007 by canon4me
I go to a lot of events in town...and I'm always taking pic's of ppl without them knowing. If it's a child, I'll quite often go up to the adult next to them and ask them if it's ok to take their pic's, otherwise, just take the pic's. I've been within 4' of ppl taking their pic's and they didn't know it.....that's because it's either a parade their watching...a rodeo..a Native American Pow Wow...where you can get amazing pic's. Its so much easier if there is something going on to distract ppl from the camera's that are everywhere. : )

13 years 6 months ago #1079 by youngrebel
I love using the element of surprise! It's so natural looking when the person doesn't realize that they are being photographed!!

13 years 6 months ago #1157 by therelic78
Most of the time if you're at an even people don't notice, but if I'm walking down the street and wish to take a photo of someone for one reason or another I will talk to them first.

13 years 6 months ago #1248 by teamsports
I would think it would just be polite to ask first. However, photographing an even well getting their picture taken is just a fact of life basically. Usually walking when around I ask first.

13 years 6 months ago #1635 by ltlredridinhood
I enjoy photographing nature and people. Taking photos on the street, well that depends on the neighborhood and whether or not the person is actually paying attention. lol

13 years 5 months ago #1862 by coloredcircles
To be honest I'm a bit paranoid to do this because the way society has become due to all the bad things that have happened to other people over the years. It's like you gotta give a full descriptive detail of what you are doing just to maybe get permission. So, I avoid taking pictures of people on the street.

13 years 2 months ago #10687 by TiaMia
Do you want candid shots? or posed shots?
I would assume you want candid shots of the people on the streets.
Normally if you asked someone if you can take their picture, if they say yes, they wont act their normal self. They will want to pose, or look pretty, try to show their better side etc..
You want to get the shot of the person in their every day life. So, shoot what you see when you see it.

If you want their permission. Shoot what you see first, then ask permission.

13 years 2 months ago #10715 by Scotty
Become a fast runner.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #10720 by Moe

Scotty wrote: Become a fast runner.

Snap and run! Lol

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #13199 by photobod
Once you ask someone and make them aware, thats the natural flavour of the photograph gone, most people are aware that there are photographers about and especially at an event, over here in the Uk no one blinks an eyelid if a camera is pointed at them, even if they notice you, so get out there and take loads of photos, just be prepared for someone to say, hey wat you doin, then all you have to do is apologise explain then move on, you will be surprised at how rare that will be.

[/size][/color][/b]

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

Attachments:
13 years 2 months ago #14327 by Litebox Fotos
Give them candy and ask them into the back of your van.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #29736 by Rob_W
I just use my 70-300 and be discreet, i'm usually with a few friends (non
photographers), so with the long lens no-one actually knows what i'm
shooting at. But i've never had a problem.

13 years 1 month ago #29884 by Stealthy Ninja

Litebox Fotos wrote: Give them candy and ask them into the back of your van.

:drool: candy

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024