Been away for a bit... here's some of my recent efforts

10 years 4 months ago #319943 by John37
My usual model (my son) is getting really into music and wanted to do some shots with his guitar. These are some of our results. Some have criticized them because they believe kids should be happy and smiling. That was not our intent. He's supposed to be a thoughtful, emotional being who rocks his music. How'd they turn out? In hindsight I wish we would have 86'd the sunglasses.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
10 years 4 months ago #319957 by Camera Diva
I'll be following your work, these are great portraits! I really like the lighting and the 3rd one down is easily my favorite. What a cute son you have.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago #320089 by garyrhook
People (not just kids) should not always be smiling. It's kinda annoying, but difficult to get clients to understand that.

Anyhoo....

I like #1.

#2 and 3, it seems like he's squinting ever so slightly, which results in a pinched looking face (to me). I could be way off base here, but that's just my take. Love the chest, not the milk can. Good crop in 3, but would prefer better posture.

#4 doesn't work for me at all; seems too contrived. But I'm not a fan of little kids with 'tude, just like I don't like little girls with too much makeup doing booty-shaking dances at recitals, or Toddlers and Tiaras (which is just a tragedy in my book). So, YMMV. My $0.02.

Color, focus, exposure is awesome on all of them.

Welcome back.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago #320447 by icepics
I like the first one, and I don't think you have to always have kids smiling, if you can keep the expression looking natural like in the first it can work to have a more thoughtful pose. I was thinking the same thing as Gary about the next two, that he wasn't actually frowning but squinting a little. I actually like the one w/the sunglasses, although that style can probably get looking somewhat contrived pretty easily - this seems more fun than ones I've seen where it looks like they're trying too hard with the posing etc. (and the orange in the glasses seems to be set off somewhat with color in the wooden cart).

I'd think about cropping the last one a little to get rid of the edge of the back tire etc. Good setting/background I'd just watch the sides/corners of the photos when framing, maybe do a little cropping to clean up the compositions a bit. The only other thing is his shirt seems to have gotten scrunched by his guitar and strap, might help to make sure clothes are straightened as needed or even go with just one shirt for a photo.

I agree the color and quality is nice and engaging your subjects is something you always seem to do well even when it's not your boys.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago #320479 by KCook
Interesting. They look Ok on PT. But on Flickr, I would back off a little on the clarity, to barrow an ACR slider.

B)

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 4 months ago #320541 by Stealthy Ninja
Looks good to me. You're improving for sure.
10 years 4 months ago #320619 by Hassner
Good job.

I would add a little vignetting to bring the focus back on him. With everything in focus in #2-4, my eye seems to wander.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago #320667 by Tuscan Muse
Enjoyed them all.
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #327417 by John37
As usual thank you all for the great feedback. :) :thumbsup:
Happy New Year!

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024