(Beginner) I took a photo of my best friend. Feedback appreciated!

5 years 4 days ago #636777 by 08clair3
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS Rebel SL2
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
ISO: 1600
Aperture: f/5.0
Shutter speed: 1/6 sec
Captured: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 21:10pm

Background information:
  • I wanted to capture my friend's playfulness, youth, and beauty in this photo using the lighting and the position of the blanket.
  • I am a nervous beginner who has had my camera for only a few weeks, so I do not yet have a firm grasp on basic photography elements such as composition and lighting. Do you have any related points of criticism for me to address so that I can improve my portrait photography? What aspects of the portrait catch your eye, in a good way or a bad way?
  • I used Lightroom and then Photoshop to color grade the image. I cleaned up a lot of the background using the clone stamp and spot healing brush tools (there were outlets and cords and unattractive lines all over the wall behind my model).
  • EXIF DATA:
    • I use a Canon EOS Rebel SL2 with an EFS 18-55 mm kit lens (I plan to stop using a kit lens and to invest in a 50mm prime lens very soon).
    • Focal length: 33 mm
    • Shutter speed: 1/6 sec
    • Aperture: f/5.0
    • ISO: 1600
  • Thank you very much for your time! I appreciate all feedback and will take it to heart for improvement.

Attachments:
4 years 11 months ago #637580 by Piechura
I'm not sure the playful thing comes across if I'm honest. I think the problem is that her expression doesn't really show playfulness (she's not smiling for a start) and the pillow is obscuring her face so it'd be difficult to see even if it did.

I also think the lighting seems a bit unnatural. I get what you're going for and the choice of colours is nice, but I think the fact that the pink light is lighting her from below looks unnatural (not that pink light is meant to be natural, but I think lighting tends to look better if it's coming from the sort of angle we're used to seeing light come from).

With the background, there's a situation where her pants and socks blend in with the background, creating this situation where the floating ankles draw the eye. You also have this bright light next to her hip that also draws the attention away from her face slightly. Some solutions just off the top of my head (as someone who's definitely not an accomplished photographer) would be to either use a longer focal length in order to completely blur the background, or actually make a feature of her whole body by dressing her in something that contrasts with the background and possibly even draws the eye (some funky socks, perhaps).

But definitely not a bad first attempt. It's in focus and nicely exposed, at least to my untrained eye, which is far more than I can say for a lot of my photos of people.

4 years 11 months ago #637582 by garyrhook
I don't find the pink helpful, but the light under her hip is the biggest problem for me. It's the brightest thing in the frame, so it's going to draw the eye.... to .... nothing of any real interest.

Agreed that this doesn't come across as "playful" but I think it's a good start. You could lighten her face and darken the background, and work to bring attention to her eye. She's on a bed... fully clothed. Not sure what that's about.

Here's a suggestion: don't try so hard when starting out. Focus on composition and story, and leave complex post work for a bit later. And keep in mind that your style will develop and evolve; don't try to create one from the get-go.

All IMNSHO, of course.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #637627 by Nikon Shooter
I think the shot reflects more your
very own playfulness than hers! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #637717 by Eshan Rachit
Pick contrasting colors especially from the background. 

4 years 11 months ago #637803 by Joshua Atkins
I think that the composition of the shot can be worked out in this shot. The story-telling of the shot needs to be improved. 

4 years 11 months ago #638005 by Bobby Mitchell
:thumbsup:  Keep it up. I have nothing to add in the pointers. Keep posting. 

4 years 11 months ago #638128 by Carl Mendez
Make use of the color or the tonal contrasts between the subject and the surrounding areas. make sure the background would always compliment the subject not compete. 

4 years 11 months ago #639825 by Kyle Johnson
I don't think the colored lights helped here. It did not make the subject more a standout but caused a bit of a distraction. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024