blue (self-portrait)

7 months 3 weeks ago #636937 by 08clair3
I took a self-portrait photograph and tried to use the reflection of the light in my glasses as a focal point to the frame.
  • Canon EOS Rebel SL2
  • 18mm
  • f/7.1
  • 1/200
  • ISO 1600
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS Rebel SL2
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
ISO: 1600
Aperture: f/7.1
Shutter speed: 1/100 sec
Captured: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 14:35pm

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 months 3 weeks ago #637106 by Sara Miles
This is interesting. The right part of the photo is just too bright though.

7 months 2 weeks ago #637274 by Alyssa Briggs
The blur is a bit distracting. The face needs to be more emphasized.

7 months 2 weeks ago #637408 by Kira Minori
And more of the eyes please...

7 months 2 weeks ago #637586 by garyrhook
+1 on the above. The gradation of light could use taming on the right.

The problem with focusing on the eyeglasses is that that's not really the subject. The person is the subject, and you'll want (at the very least) her left eye to be in focus.

The color I like. I'm so not a fan of the fake blur (as evidenced by the fact that the hair is blurry even when it passes through the same plane of focus as the glasses). Seriously... please don't do that. If you can't accomplish shallow DoF with the equipment you have, then don't try to fake it.

All for me, of course. YMMV.

Compositionally, her looking too far to the right is also not engaging. If you want aloof, there are other was to get that. But I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to look at, or to care about, in this image.

Photo Comments

7 months 2 weeks ago #637800 by Joshua Atkins
The lack of viewpoint is I guess the biggest issue here. I don't exactly know what you are trying to achieve in this shot. And yes, more focus on the eyes. 

7 months 3 days ago #639824 by Kyle Johnson
The blur is indeed a bit too  much that it is already distracting to the viewer. The angle of the face should favor of the camera side to see better facial expressions. 

6 months 3 weeks ago #641511 by Pitter
You must have a reason for wanting the glasses in the photo but for me they add nothing and just obscure the face of a pretty girl.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

In this Nikon D3500 review, learn all about this camera's features, specs, and capabilities, as well as details about compatible lenses, the camera's pros and cons, and its price.

Nov 06, 2019

In this Panasonic G9 review, we take a look at its essential features, its build quality, compatible lenses, and other crucial details to help you decide if this is the camera for you.

Nov 04, 2019

In this Canon EOS 7D Mark II review, we outline the pros and cons of this camera and identify whether it's still a good buy in 2019.

Oct 25, 2019

Latest Articles

Winter photography can be a challenge for sure. But with these tips for winter photography, you can prepare yourself (and your gear) to get the best shots.

Nov 13, 2019

One of the critical aspects of creating awesome vlogs is having footage that's stabilized. With these methods for how to stabilize a camera, you'll have plenty of options for smooth video.

Nov 13, 2019

Photo by Cristian Grecu on Unsplash A Chinese university student tumbled off of one of China's largest mountains to her in death...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Karina on Unsplash Who among us doesn't have the intrinsically human desire to get absolutely smashed, incredibly naked...

Nov 12, 2019

Photo by Tim Bennett on Unsplash In a year of continuously bad news for Facebook, it turns out the iOS Facebook app has been...

Nov 12, 2019

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

The new Panasonic Lumix S Pro lenses have been announced, and they have some impressive specs. But will they be worth the huge price tags?

Nov 12, 2019

nikon d5100, nikon d5100 review, nikon d5100 specs, nikon d5100 price, nikon d5100 features, used nikon d5100

Nov 12, 2019