Showing motion

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #642738 by Troponin
Trying to get some feedback here. Took these of my girls. Shutter speed around 1/20 and used a monopod to stabilize. 

Is this too much blur? They actually moved a bit faster than I was expecting and the blur ended up more extreme than I was expecting. Next time I want to bump it up a bit. I didn’t take the time to compose these, it was purely to learn how to use slower shutter speeds. Would you consider these shutter speeds too slow? 

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 10 months ago #642750 by Nikon Shooter

Troponin wrote: Is this too much blur?

The difficulty is not much the amount of blur but it's
visual relation to the "not blurred". And here there is
no sharp area in the image. A tripod would have been
the better tool to achieve that goal, IMO.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642873 by Jack Mason

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Troponin wrote: Is this too much blur?

The difficulty is not much the amount of blur but it's
visual relation to the "not blurred". And here there is
no sharp area in the image. A tripod would have been
the better tool to achieve that goal, IMO.

I agree! 

4 years 10 months ago #644742 by Kyle Johnson
The motion still indicates figure so this is still a successful shot in my opinion. 

4 years 10 months ago #644756 by GaryA
Nikon Shooter makes a valid and solid point.  To answer your question, IMO yes, too much movement.  For me, blurry photos are all in the eye of the viewer .. a personal taste type of think.  Sometimes they work, sometime they well ... but more often than not (IMO) they are not successful.  The more blur one captures, again IMO, the less chance of success.  (But I come from a photojournalist background where most blur is unacceptable.) Henri Cartier-Bresson stated that "Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."  I've never been a big fan of Henri, I thought he was more PR than photographer (all hat no cattle type of guy). When a guy shoots a ton of unsharp photos you can expect something like "sharpness is a bourgeois concept" to come out of his mouth. But I have come to respect that statement, figuring that capturing a successful blurry image is much harder than capturing a successful sharp photo.  

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 years 10 months ago #644929 by Hannah Williams
Well said Gary! Personal taste is really one thing that is highly considered in these shots. In my case, I am also particular with the figure even when the movement is emphasized. If the figure is retained in attempt to illustrate a movement, i will call it successful.  

4 years 10 months ago #644988 by GaryA

GaryA wrote: ... When a guy shoots a ton of unsharp photos you can expect something like "sharpness is a bourgeois concept" to come out of his mouth. But I have come to respect that statement, figuring that capturing a successful blurry image is much harder than capturing a successful sharp photo.  

Consequently, I've been shooting a lot of low shutter-speed photos lately, especially my theatre stuff.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.

4 years 10 months ago #644992 by Nikon Shooter

GaryA wrote: Consequently, I've been shooting a lot of low shutter-speed photos lately, especially my theatre stuff.

Yes, that looks like it! ;)

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #644994 by Nikon Shooter
I just posted some examples of mine here:  Dancing

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #644999 by Troponin
Thanks for all of the feedback folks. 

My photos were shot wide open because of the low light. That's why the background is blurry.. That being said, I appreciate the advice of having something sharp in the photo now. For the purposes of these shots, I was really just experimenting with just how blurry to allow the subjects to get and what shutter speeds would accomplish that, at least, without causing handshake and at least having a correct exposure. I'll try to get more of a sharper background to make some nice contrast in the blur and make it look like I knew what I was doing (huehue)

GaryA, those are great shots. This is definitely a tricky area of photography, and is also certainly subjective. We had a similar conversation in another thread where NS had made some captures of a bird with slower shutter speeds and asked the opinions of the members here. I felt it wasn't enough blur and that it just looked like he accidentally had the shutter speeds to slow. Others liked the affect, while others had similar feelings as I had. This is what sparked my interest in learning how to do it. I wanted to better understand it and open up my mind a little bit to the possibilities and interpretations. 

This summer I will start planning some shots or put all of this together in an attempt to get good composition with motion blurr. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645320 by Alyssa Briggs
Gary, this is a nice set showing motion. I like the first and the third shot here.
I think it is safe to say that there are motion shots that maintain clarity just portray a movement. However there are also some motion shots that emphasize the movements with less clarity in the figure but rather the shape to create an abstract-like output. 
Troponin your set is more like of an abstract-like output but Gary portrayed motions in clear subjects.
But then again, this is just me. 

4 years 10 months ago #645358 by GaryA

Alyssa Briggs wrote: Gary, this is a nice set showing motion. I like the first and the third shot here.
I think it is safe to say that there are motion shots that maintain clarity just portray a movement. However there are also some motion shots that emphasize the movements with less clarity in the figure but rather the shape to create an abstract-like output. 
Troponin your set is more like of an abstract-like output but Gary portrayed motions in clear subjects.
But then again, this is just me. 

Not to hijack the thread, but I also have full blur shots also.

I think if Troponin had panned a bit with his low shutter speed that the images would had been more successful. 

4 years 10 months ago #645448 by Rohan Tushar
I like the first shot. I agree with Alyssa's perspective.

4 years 10 months ago #645482 by Troponin
So my inspiration for this was showing a bit more motion blur than Gary. This is absolutely open for interpretation. I think I would like a bit less for this particular shot, but I realize after reading replies and searching for inspiration, there are tons of successful shots with dramatic blur. It’s just finding the right composition to make it work

https://www.ilexinstant.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/image-195.jpg

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024