A portrait under the Huntington Beach Pier

3 months 3 weeks ago #645892 by Alex
Just before Caleb (my son in photo) and I, went to explore our favorite air museum, we stopped at Huntington Beach.  This ended up being the first time I have used the 70-200mm w/ adapter on the Z7.  

Caleb had his camera too, however tried using it as a shovel in the sand!  :rofl:   Thankfully V-Tech builds a solid kids camera and I was able to get it cleaned easily!  

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON Z 7
Lens: 70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8
ISO: 800
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/500 sec
Captured: Sun, 26 May 2019 0:53am

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 3 weeks ago #645924 by GaryA
Nice compression and DOF.  Well done ... (but it's hard to go wrong with such a good looking model!) 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

3 months 3 weeks ago #645950 by Nikon Shooter
I appreciate the end of the pier being off centre but that
takes Caleb to the far left… was it a good decision?

Light is free… capturing it is not!

3 months 2 weeks ago #646130 by Alex

GaryA wrote: Nice compression and DOF.  Well done ... (but it's hard to go wrong with such a good looking model!) 

Hey Gary thanks brother!  This shot is actually composed from 2 shots, one with the back in focus, and the other with the foreground in focus.  

Photo Comments

3 months 2 weeks ago #646132 by Alex

Nikon Shooter wrote: I appreciate the end of the pier being off centre but that
takes Caleb to the far left… was it a good decision?

Hey bud, I 100% agree with you.  However all the shots with Caleb in the center where I wanted him, he's not smiling or looking at the camera.  LOL he was more interested in playing in the sand.  This shot was the best with him looking.  Unfortunately from a composition standpoint, it wasn't what I was after. 

What's funny is when I tell him to smile... he repeats me with the word "Smile, smile, smile..."  :rofl:

BTW, what's your first name if you don't mind me asking?  

Photo Comments

3 months 2 weeks ago #646155 by Fess Walker
Cute kid

Photo Comments

3 months 2 weeks ago #646238 by Alex
Hey guys, I wanted to share a version of this shot that Nikon Shooter doctored up for me.  Now this is the ideal composition that I would have wanted out of camera.  Nikon Shooter improvised and did a solid job moving Caleb toward the right.  Nice work bro!

Photo Comments
Attachments:

3 months 2 weeks ago #646239 by Nikon Shooter
Alex, you could have gone one step to your left, no?

Glad you like this quickie!  :P

3 months 2 weeks ago #646249 by Alex

Nikon Shooter wrote: Alex, you could have gone one step to your left, no?

Glad you like this quickie!  :P

Technically I could have.  However I was on a tripod, plus, he seriously was moving around so much.  My son doesn't like to stay still for so long.  He definitely get's that from me!  ha ha ha

Thanks again... as mentioned in our message.  I was originally after him in the center, and didn't even think about positioning him on the right, (like I had the choice anyway :rofl:  )... your positioning of him here I think looks the best.  Kudos!   

Photo Comments

3 months 2 weeks ago #646310 by Nikon Shooter

Alex wrote: he seriously was moving around so much.  My son doesn't like to stay still for so long.  He definitely get's that from me!  ha ha ha 

The scene has plenty of water and sand…
just carry a pound of cement in your bag! :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

3 months 1 week ago #646925 by Carl Mendez
Adorable subject. The smile is contagious! 

3 months 1 week ago #647285 by NewavaMike
I think they are both good and I'd have to say the first one is just a smidge better because the floating gull does not look as if its riding the shoulder :)

Haha..... how's that for critique ?  

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Canon T7i is an entry-level camera with some excellent features that will help you learn and grow as a photographer. Find out if it's the right camera for you in this Canon T7i review.

Sep 09, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Camera sling bags are a top choice for photographers that want functionality, comfort, and ease of use. Here's our pick for the top 5 camera sling bags of 2019.

Sep 18, 2019

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

Not sure what to give the photographer on your shopping list? With a $5,000 budget, the possibilities are endless! Check out our picks for the best gifts for photographers under $5,000.

Sep 13, 2019

With these innovative camera accessories, you can extend the functionality and ease of use of your camera and give yourself a better ability to capture the beauty around you.

Sep 12, 2019

Learn how to master the art of wide-angle landscape photography with four simple tips that will greatly improve the quality of your landscape photos.

Sep 12, 2019

Are you sick of your gear weighing your shoulders down, causing undue neck and shoulder pain? With the new Holdfast Gear Tanker Belt, you can carry your gear in total comfort on your hips.

Sep 12, 2019

Photo by Prince Akachi on Unsplash #NoBudgetNoPhotos is going viral after a photographer, Nafa Ribeiro, revealed damning emails...

Sep 12, 2019