A portrait under the Huntington Beach Pier

4 years 10 months ago #645892 by Alex
Just before Caleb (my son in photo) and I, went to explore our favorite air museum, we stopped at Huntington Beach.  This ended up being the first time I have used the 70-200mm w/ adapter on the Z7.  

Caleb had his camera too, however tried using it as a shovel in the sand!  :rofl:   Thankfully V-Tech builds a solid kids camera and I was able to get it cleaned easily!  

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON Z 7
Lens: 70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8
ISO: 800
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/500 sec
Captured: Sun, 26 May 2019 0:53am

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 10 months ago #645924 by GaryA
Nice compression and DOF.  Well done ... (but it's hard to go wrong with such a good looking model!) 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 years 10 months ago #645950 by Nikon Shooter
I appreciate the end of the pier being off centre but that
takes Caleb to the far left… was it a good decision?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646130 by Alex

GaryA wrote: Nice compression and DOF.  Well done ... (but it's hard to go wrong with such a good looking model!) 

Hey Gary thanks brother!  This shot is actually composed from 2 shots, one with the back in focus, and the other with the foreground in focus.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646132 by Alex

Nikon Shooter wrote: I appreciate the end of the pier being off centre but that
takes Caleb to the far left… was it a good decision?

Hey bud, I 100% agree with you.  However all the shots with Caleb in the center where I wanted him, he's not smiling or looking at the camera.  LOL he was more interested in playing in the sand.  This shot was the best with him looking.  Unfortunately from a composition standpoint, it wasn't what I was after. 

What's funny is when I tell him to smile... he repeats me with the word "Smile, smile, smile..."  :rofl:

BTW, what's your first name if you don't mind me asking?  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646155 by Fess Walker
Cute kid

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646238 by Alex
Hey guys, I wanted to share a version of this shot that Nikon Shooter doctored up for me.  Now this is the ideal composition that I would have wanted out of camera.  Nikon Shooter improvised and did a solid job moving Caleb toward the right.  Nice work bro!

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 9 months ago #646239 by Nikon Shooter
Alex, you could have gone one step to your left, no?

Glad you like this quickie!  :P

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646249 by Alex

Nikon Shooter wrote: Alex, you could have gone one step to your left, no?

Glad you like this quickie!  :P

Technically I could have.  However I was on a tripod, plus, he seriously was moving around so much.  My son doesn't like to stay still for so long.  He definitely get's that from me!  ha ha ha

Thanks again... as mentioned in our message.  I was originally after him in the center, and didn't even think about positioning him on the right, (like I had the choice anyway :rofl:  )... your positioning of him here I think looks the best.  Kudos!   

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646310 by Nikon Shooter

Alex wrote: he seriously was moving around so much.  My son doesn't like to stay still for so long.  He definitely get's that from me!  ha ha ha 

The scene has plenty of water and sand…
just carry a pound of cement in your bag! :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646925 by Carl Mendez
Adorable subject. The smile is contagious! 

4 years 9 months ago #647285 by NewavaMike
I think they are both good and I'd have to say the first one is just a smidge better because the floating gull does not look as if its riding the shoulder :)

Haha..... how's that for critique ?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024