A portrait under the Huntington Beach Pier

4 years 10 months ago #645892 by Alex
Just before Caleb (my son in photo) and I, went to explore our favorite air museum, we stopped at Huntington Beach.  This ended up being the first time I have used the 70-200mm w/ adapter on the Z7.  

Caleb had his camera too, however tried using it as a shovel in the sand!  :rofl:   Thankfully V-Tech builds a solid kids camera and I was able to get it cleaned easily!  

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON Z 7
Lens: 70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8
ISO: 800
Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter speed: 1/500 sec
Captured: Sun, 26 May 2019 0:53am

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 10 months ago #645924 by GaryA
Nice compression and DOF.  Well done ... (but it's hard to go wrong with such a good looking model!) 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

4 years 10 months ago #645950 by Nikon Shooter
I appreciate the end of the pier being off centre but that
takes Caleb to the far left… was it a good decision?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646130 by Alex

GaryA wrote: Nice compression and DOF.  Well done ... (but it's hard to go wrong with such a good looking model!) 

Hey Gary thanks brother!  This shot is actually composed from 2 shots, one with the back in focus, and the other with the foreground in focus.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646132 by Alex

Nikon Shooter wrote: I appreciate the end of the pier being off centre but that
takes Caleb to the far left… was it a good decision?

Hey bud, I 100% agree with you.  However all the shots with Caleb in the center where I wanted him, he's not smiling or looking at the camera.  LOL he was more interested in playing in the sand.  This shot was the best with him looking.  Unfortunately from a composition standpoint, it wasn't what I was after. 

What's funny is when I tell him to smile... he repeats me with the word "Smile, smile, smile..."  :rofl:

BTW, what's your first name if you don't mind me asking?  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646155 by Fess Walker
Cute kid

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646238 by Alex
Hey guys, I wanted to share a version of this shot that Nikon Shooter doctored up for me.  Now this is the ideal composition that I would have wanted out of camera.  Nikon Shooter improvised and did a solid job moving Caleb toward the right.  Nice work bro!

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 10 months ago #646239 by Nikon Shooter
Alex, you could have gone one step to your left, no?

Glad you like this quickie!  :P

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646249 by Alex

Nikon Shooter wrote: Alex, you could have gone one step to your left, no?

Glad you like this quickie!  :P

Technically I could have.  However I was on a tripod, plus, he seriously was moving around so much.  My son doesn't like to stay still for so long.  He definitely get's that from me!  ha ha ha

Thanks again... as mentioned in our message.  I was originally after him in the center, and didn't even think about positioning him on the right, (like I had the choice anyway :rofl:  )... your positioning of him here I think looks the best.  Kudos!   

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646310 by Nikon Shooter

Alex wrote: he seriously was moving around so much.  My son doesn't like to stay still for so long.  He definitely get's that from me!  ha ha ha 

The scene has plenty of water and sand…
just carry a pound of cement in your bag! :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646925 by Carl Mendez
Adorable subject. The smile is contagious! 

4 years 10 months ago #647285 by NewavaMike
I think they are both good and I'd have to say the first one is just a smidge better because the floating gull does not look as if its riding the shoulder :)

Haha..... how's that for critique ?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024