Reflections

4 years 9 months ago #649024 by Chris Pauwels
On the beach of Arromanches-les-Bains (F)
Make: SONY
Model: DSC-RX10M3
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/50 sec
Captured: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 17:51pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 9 months ago #649042 by Kira Minori
Nice capture! Very good eyes! 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Pauwels
4 years 9 months ago #649055 by Nikon Shooter
This could use even minor tweaks as it looks pretty flat, Chris!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649086 by Jack Mason
But the concept is really good. Tonal range can improve though. 

4 years 9 months ago #649099 by Chris Pauwels
Hey Nikonshooter,

It is true I didn't do anything with this photo. This holiday I started photographing with the manual exposure and aperture.

I would like to know what you would adjust, because I often tend to exaggerate, sometimes it is good and sometimes not.

So if you have a few tips, I will try them out.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649232 by Daryl Flores
You can start by increasing the contrast. 

4 years 9 months ago #649256 by garyrhook

Chris Pauwels wrote: I would like to know what you would adjust, because I often tend to exaggerate, sometimes it is good and sometimes not.

What tool are you using? It helps to speak the same language.

The histogram shows a pretty good spread up to the highlights. So you could brighten the image, and increase the mid-range contrast. Then bring up the shadows to recover some details in the dark clothing.

Micro-contrast (clarity) would help enhance detail in the clouds, as well as the mountain.

You could warm the image up slightly, and push the tint towards magenta a tiny bit.

Now, Meta:

When you're making changes to an image, and you think you've gone too far, do this:
  1. Make the change to whatever degree you want. Maybe even more. Understand what that change is doing to the image.
  2. Bring the change back to zero (completely remove it).
  3. Now add the change back in just until you can detect its affect on the image. Then back off slightly.
In general, changes should not be seen for themselves, but only how they serve the image, and your artistic interpretation of what you saw.

When you're done editing, walk away. Come back tomorrow to look at the image. Do you still like it? Does it need more? less? something other approach?

Repeat as necessary.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649266 by Nikon Shooter
I would not recommend that as the blacks are already very low,
Daryl, and it is tonally pasty enough. That could benefit the high
keys a tad but making them muddier as some mid-tones will be
bushed up too — to no gain in terms of DR.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650383 by Chris Pauwels
Thank you for your comments and tips. I have made a few minor changes to the photo. This is the result:

Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 9 months ago #651317 by Hannah Williams
This is a good improvement. 

4 years 8 months ago #654279 by Monica Martinez
Yeah! I agree that the second version is so much better. The clouds are more defined and the mountains. The color as well has improved well. Great job! 

4 years 6 months ago #660727 by Lauren Grant
This is a good render now. Nice details in the shot. 

4 years 5 months ago #665660 by Breanna Ellington

Chris Pauwels wrote: Thank you for your comments and tips. I have made a few minor changes to the photo. This is the result:

Nice render here. This is so much better. 

4 years 3 months ago #670030 by Pitter
Image is nice and clear now. What were all those people dong at the waters edge?

4 years 3 months ago #670109 by Chris Pauwels
Thank you for your comment, Pitter.

These children were on school holiday and learning about the invasion in Normandy by the allied forces in june 1944. The picture is made in Arromanches, Normandy (F) were you can still see the remains of the Mulberry harbour build in june 1944.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024