What do you think about my portraits?

4 years 2 months ago #671238 by antonsportraits
Hey, I am a 22 year old cinematographer who recently got into Portraits. Just been shooting friends for fun. Tell me what you think of my portrait style? Thanks!:)

4 years 2 months ago #671244 by Nikon Shooter

antonsportraits wrote: Tell me what you think of my portrait style.:)

This shot has the greater value in terms of photography because
it is a shot in itself… and a darn good one. :P

A videographer will see flowing pictures and many of them serve
the purpose to take to the next but, in photo, there was not a be-
fore and there will be no after… the shot must tell the whole story
by itself.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #671275 by Hannah Williams
Yeah! I think the last shot is the most successful of all. Really good composition and the message of the shot is well received.

4 years 2 months ago #671356 by Suni Park
This is a pretty good set. The second to the last photo is very appealing as well. Just be careful with the shadows because it a bit strong in few shots. 

4 years 2 months ago #671419 by garyrhook
Having a "cinematic style" in portraiture doesn't mean using the same techniques.

Good color, and lovely bokeh (where applicable). As portraits, I find most of these unsuccessful.

So here's my opinion, because you asked what we think. You are, of course, free to ignore or disagree.

We don't like mottled lighting in a portrait. It's not attractive.  In film, it's usually moving, and you can get away with that. Not in a still.

Most of your light here is harsh, with sharp shadows. Neither attractive nor flattering to your subjects. 

The eyes in most of these are dead. No catchlights, deep impenetrable shadows, and in a portrait I mostly want to see the eyes. If your subjects are looking off-camera, it's more likely a fashion shot, not a portrait. At least the way these guys are posed. Tell me something about your subject, not you (I think Avedon was wrong).

The 1st: okay light. Kinda green. You've crushed the shadows and lost detail in the hair for no apparent reason.

2: squint, bad light, nasal shot. Why sunglasses? Is the subject his cheek?

3: all I can see is the bright spot on his nose. Eyes: dead. Loss off detail between the hoodie and the shadow.

4: Squint. Bright spot above the collarbone. Water droplets, but no reason why. Swimming? Sweat? What should I be getting from this?

5: again, dark eyes. What do you want me to look at? The labels?

6: don't get this at all. Is your subject the lamp? Again, crushed shadows, no sense of place or person.

7: mottled light, no context.

8: the brightest thing in the frame is the t shirt. Face and head are mostly lost in shadow. This looks like a clothing ad, which, if intentional, is just fine. But the light is just... not good.

9: for me, the most successful. I like this one as a portrait.

10: least successful. The crushed shadow on his face is just ... odd. The eye is in focus, but so much else is lost.

I think you could get your camera a bit higher, too. Don't like looking up so much.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024