Self portrait - Playing with harsh light

3 years 3 months ago #707989 by Thelgord

I took this with my Canon T6i and a Sigma 18-35mm @35mm - f/1.8, ISO 800, 1/20s (not sure if all of that info matters) 

I wanted to play with harsh light and I don't have a speed light. I used a remote shutter release and a shop light plugged into a power strip while sitting in my living on the coffee table. It took quite a few tries to get it right. I had to time turning the light on and off in one hand and pressing the remote shutter with the other. I had all of the lights in the house turned off and did this after the sun went down. My neighbor called me about the "flashing light". ;)  That look is genuine, I didn't think I was ever going to get a good shot. In the original RAW file you can still see the TV and and hallway past me, but LightRoom is an amazing program, and I was able to pull this out. 

Attachments:
3 years 3 months ago #708008 by Nikon Shooter

Thelgord wrote: … I didn't think I was ever going to get a good shot.

Nobody does at that stage.

There are too many unknowns, it takes time to for all the parameters to
sink in to the point were things are getting foreseeable, predictable, and
that is called experience.

When all things can be set in appropriate values — may it be intensity, an-
gle, or what not — then one look at the screen will confirm if you are on the
right track — doing the right thing, the right way at the right time.

Enjoy your journey! :P 

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thelgord
3 years 3 months ago #708069 by Lauren Grant
It's indeed a journey. I love the lighting of the shot here. 

3 years 3 months ago #708164 by Kira Minori
The look in his eyes! Awesome.

3 years 3 months ago #708326 by Jack Mason
The soft lighting really works for the shot well. 

3 years 2 months ago #708510 by Kelly Emery
I like the soft and dramatic lighting for the shot. 

3 years 2 months ago #708604 by Suni Park
The lighting INice dramatic composition.  just perfect for the shot I think. Nicely done. 

3 years 2 months ago #708607 by Thelgord
This shot was a lot of work. Thank you all for the support. :) 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024