Easter/Spring Photoshoot w/ Friend (Comments/Critiques Welcomed)

3 years 1 week ago #714152 by iKokomo
I just got back from a "cold" spring/Easter-themed photo shoot with a friend. First, I was wondering if you could give me Comments/Critiques on these photos. Second, While I like these photos, I find it hard to pose/direct and make photos more exciting. :) I have thousands of ideas in my head, however, when I try to implement them, they do not turn out the same in person as I envisioned them. (Sorry, it is hard to put what I am asking into words!)

I did ask my friend to give me critique and what her favorite photo was. She said she loved the more close-up photos (2nd one). 

Attachments:
3 years 1 week ago #714153 by Nikon Shooter
Your friend is right, the second is luminous and happy though the rendition
is, IMHO, not to the level.

The rendition of the first is better but the pose looks uncomfortable.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 1 week ago #714156 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

Welcome again - and you are asking for feedback, so a 'well done' from me to start the discussion :)

Looking at your 2 images -
#1 shows me some houses and trees and a lovely grassy area where kids can play games ... and golly, there is someone in the way of it all.
This is one of those locations / poses where you can use the longest zoom you have to enlarge the actual subject - and to do so, you walk away from the subject as part of your arranging the image. You will often hear the photo-phrase "vote with your feet" ... ie- look around you - check the background - move sideways if needed to change the background - change the lens to also change the background - and so it goes

An alternative is for the young lady to pick a flower and enjoy its scent while you take the photo thus putting her more into the location / give her a book or magazine to read and you then move around taking several shots - noting light and shadows and background while doing so

#2 shows the young lady to great advantage. You have done well with this image. Again - vote with your feet to alter the background a bit, and see how each image varies ... some will be better, some will be junk - that's the way it is for all of us too!

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 1 week ago #714217 by Sarit Kevesh
I think you have make the model more comfortable with her poses. I noticed that she is a bit looking not so comfortable with the shots. The first one has a better render. 

3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #714261 by iKokomo

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day mate

Welcome again - and you are asking for feedback, so a 'well done' from me to start the discussion :)

Looking at your 2 images -
#1 shows me some houses and trees and a lovely grassy area where kids can play games ... and golly, there is someone in the way of it all.
This is one of those locations / poses where you can use the longest zoom you have to enlarge the actual subject - and to do so, you walk away from the subject as part of your arranging the image. You will often hear the photo-phrase "vote with your feet" ... ie- look around you - check the background - move sideways if needed to change the background - change the lens to also change the background - and so it goes

An alternative is for the young lady to pick a flower and enjoy its scent while you take the photo thus putting her more into the location / give her a book or magazine to read and you then move around taking several shots - noting light and shadows and background while doing so

#2 shows the young lady to great advantage. You have done well with this image. Again - vote with your feet to alter the background a bit, and see how each image varies ... some will be better, some will be junk - that's the way it is for all of us too!

Hope this helps

Thank you! That brings up the question of how do you do effective non-posed photos? 

You mentioned walking around (for example) someone reading a book or smelling a flower. As I walk, take photos to see how the lighting affects the photos. 

How would I have the model do that (read/smell flower) while acting natural?

Thanks!  

3 years 1 week ago #714268 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

In the beginning - it is not easy as you yourself are unsure as to what & how to do stuff (and don't worry - it happens with all of us). Every model I have worked with will help all the more after you explain your newness to this type of photography and quite often, will offer suggestions to help things along a bit

Maybe the easiest way is to give her / the model / a good magazine and ask her to read bits back to you - ie: create some communication without it being too stiff and forced. As you move around a bit, your replies to her are related to her posture - move your head up/down/left/right - lift a shoulder / move your chin a bit / look at me / look left or right ....... and so it goes

You are then guiding her into the areas of interest to you

Hope this helps
Phil

3 years 4 days ago #714799 by Monica Martinez

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day mate

In the beginning - it is not easy as you yourself are unsure as to what & how to do stuff (and don't worry - it happens with all of us). Every model I have worked with will help all the more after you explain your newness to this type of photography and quite often, will offer suggestions to help things along a bit

Maybe the easiest way is to give her / the model / a good magazine and ask her to read bits back to you - ie: create some communication without it being too stiff and forced. As you move around a bit, your replies to her are related to her posture - move your head up/down/left/right - lift a shoulder / move your chin a bit / look at me / look left or right ....... and so it goes

You are then guiding her into the areas of interest to you

Hope this helps
Phil

+1

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024