Carolina Ballet

12 years 11 months ago #66997 by DestinDave
I was invited to tag along with one of the professionals who shoot the Ballet.. Painfully aware after the fact that I should have had a tripod with me - won't make that mistake twice! Still, having never been to a ballet before, I'm pleased that I was able to track the movements, get some nice compositions, emotions, lighting, etc.. Just wish there wasn't the ever-present camera shake and/or out-of-focus problem! Next time, a tripod and rent a fast "L" lens...

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 11 months ago #67165 by chasrich
I wouldn't despair too much Dave. This had to be a valuable learning experience and from these photos here they look pretty good. Would a higher ISO have helped?

Thanks for sharing these.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #67423 by DestinDave
Perhaps, Charles.. I was at ISO-1600 (the limit on my camera) and I was shooting at 1/125 and f/4 or f/5.6 (also the lens limits).. I think the main problem was choosing the right focus points and I should have used AI Servo focus (?).. Plus, it's just not a good idea to hand-hold a 300mm lens at that speed..
Learning experience - you bet - and I'm looking forward to more opportunities!

Dave Speicher
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 11 months ago #67447 by chasrich
The 300mm lens was a surprise. Yes with the length and shooting at 1/125sec a tripod was surely needed. Still I like those shots you posted. Too bad no flash was allowed - that could have been a boost but I imagine it would be quite a distraction as well.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #77001 by quietguy
Have these been tweaked in software?

Apart from the last pic which seems to lack detail, this series look very good to my (admittedly inexperienced) eye. Catching the ballerina in mid air with that not so fast shutter speed seems to me a feat of magic - just love that shotb

Hope my eny is showing, as these are the sort of pics I aspire to

12 years 10 months ago #77031 by DestinDave

quietguy wrote: Have these been tweaked in software?

Apart from the last pic which seems to lack detail, this series look very good to my (admittedly inexperienced) eye. Catching the ballerina in mid air with that not so fast shutter speed seems to me a feat of magic - just love that shotb

Just a little bump in saturation maybe.. otherwise, straight from the camera.. At these sizes, they don't look bad but full-screen when working in Photosop, I can really see the camera-shake or off-focus problems..
Cool update - even though they were out of focus or a bit blurry, the photog who invited me was impressed enough to bring me on-board for his "team" next ballet season.. In addition, there is a chance I could get the opportunity to do some web and graphic design work for the ballet company as they are looking to redesign their site and start a new marketing campaign this Summer!! :beerbang:

Dave Speicher
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 10 months ago #77161 by robbie
You are on the right track Dave,you captured some very emotional images,very nice.

12 years 10 months ago #77165 by MLKstudios
Seems you have discovered the limitations of your gear. What's important is that you were able to push them all the way to their edge.

Nice work really.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #77169 by John Landolfi
Congratulations, Dave! ANd you certainly have the eye. You might try a Mmonopod on the lens, bracing it against something, and using a cable release. I've used this method shooting concerts, and it works well.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #77229 by DestinDave
Really appreciate the comments, support, and encouragement from everyone!

Dave Speicher
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 10 months ago #77233 by Stealthy Ninja
Ballet huh?!

12 years 10 months ago #77261 by chasrich

DestinDave wrote:

quietguy wrote: Have these been tweaked in software?

Just a little bump in saturation maybe.. otherwise, straight from the camera.. At these sizes, they don't look bad but full-screen when working in Photosop, I can really see the camera-shake or off-focus problems..
Cool update - even though they were out of focus or a bit blurry, the photog who invited me was impressed enough to bring me on-board for his "team" next ballet season.. In addition, there is a chance I could get the opportunity to do some web and graphic design work for the ballet company as they are looking to redesign their site and start a new marketing campaign this Summer!! :beerbang:

Congrats on the new challenge. I'm thinking you will be shooting more and more of this and honing your skills with each performance. Celebrate your accomplishments. Oh, and bring your tripod.

12 years 10 months ago #77265 by DestinDave

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Ballet huh?!

:rofl: :rofl: I've been not-so-stealthily ninja'd..
Yeah, I know.. I'd never been to a ballet before.. but I've always appreciated Shakespeare, classical music, maybe even an opera or two.. I thought WTH, it could lead to some work..
I can assure you I'm 100% hetero even if I did kinda enjoy the show.. B)

Dave Speicher
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 10 months ago #77271 by Rob pix4u2
Congrats on the doors you have opened ! the pix show you have the eye for shooting ballet

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024