Chasing pidgeons

12 years 10 months ago #80893 by Trudehell
I'd like som critique on this photo, and the edit.

The colored one, attached at the bottom, looked too "messy" for me, it was hard, I thought, to see the bird.

The photo could not have been taken with any planned bacgrund, as it happened "then and there".

So I made my edit, but I'm not sure I did the right thing the right way.

A user friendly computer first requires a friendly user.
Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #80895 by MLKstudios
Ask yourself.. "what is my subject"? Now, did my edit draw more attention to that or something else?

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #80899 by MLKstudios
One other point is colors make us happy. So more color isn't a bad thing. It makes for a happy picture.

But, again, you should always make your subject the focal point of the image.

I'd do some fake shallow DOF (and the next time do it in camera). In Ps, Select [subject(s)] > Inverse, Filter > Gaussian Blur.

If you know layers, you can erase back the parts that need sharpened. There are many other ways too.

HTH :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #80905 by Trudehell

MLKstudios wrote: One other point is colors make us happy. So more color isn't a bad thing. It makes for a happy picture.

But, again, you should always make your subject the focal point of the image.

I'd do some fake shallow DOF (and the next time do it in camera). In Ps, Select [subject(s)] > Inverse, Filter > Gaussian Blur.

If you know layers, you can erase back the parts that need sharpened. There are many other ways too.

HTH :)

I had the image saved as xcf (gimp's equvivalent of psd) and made this attempt at editing:

Is this better than toning down colors? I think so myself. Thanks a million Matthew!

:cheers:

Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #80909 by MLKstudios
I might go a wee bit further with the "blur". Looks better though.

And thanks for friending me. Some here don't like me yet.

;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #80915 by chasrich

MLKstudios wrote: I might go a wee bit further with the "blur". Looks better though.

And thanks for friending me. Some here don't like me yet.

;)

Hang in there Mathew... Opinions might vary.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #80919 by MLKstudios
Will do chas! Thank you.

Just takes some longer than others.

:duel:

BTW I really enjoy a good battle. Foil and Epee are my weapons.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #80921 by Trudehell
A bit further with the blur:

But now I think It's a bit overdone. Maybe a mix of the two is for the best.

---

In playing with the photo I came across this variation, it's kind of fun:

And - you are welcome as a friend! :thumbsup:

Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #80927 by chasrich
I like the variation too. I can see the driver in the van now...LOL

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #80929 by MLKstudios
Agree on both counts. That last one I would have never thought of. I come from the "straight photographer" group of photography, like Adams and Weston. In other words, pure photography, not manipulation (and yes I know they both dodged and burned).

I really think the bottom one has imagination to it, and represents a little girl's world VERY WELL. **

**Not that I have ever been one, but what I think how a young girl perceives her world.

Wonderful!

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024