do i have what it takes?

12 years 9 months ago #99837 by The Time Capturer
I think photography and business are two completely separate entities. You don't have to know squat about running a business to know photography. Likewise, you don't have to know photography to start a business. The two are "initially" unrelated.

However, if you plan to turn your photography into a business, or even just a paid hobby, then the two will have to unite and become one. But you certainly don't have to know both worlds as a beginner. Start with what interests you most and perfect it first before confusing yourself by trying to do both. It will make learning the second aspect a lot easier.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SnapShotsByTracy
12 years 9 months ago #99843 by mj~shutterbugg

SnapShotsByTracy wrote: im sorry everyone I just been busy with work, and kids... i left a message for one of you ill repost it on here too..

IM Not upset... I don't mind the critiques.. cause thats how you get better. I've only had my DSLR since christmas... Im still really learning the ins and outs of it. I dont mind good and bad. I dont let it bother me to much. Everyone has their opinions.. An Im not going to let one or two bad ones discourage me from doing what I love and want to become. Im sure every photographer has had bad critiques but that hasnt stopped them all. I know you have to have a tough skin for this.. I havent been on as much due to working full time and having 3 little models to control.. not always easy to get out and play with my camera...

I am glad you didn't leave! I think if you've only had the D-SLR since Christmas and have 3 kids plus a full time job your hands are full and that you will practice when the time is there. You have a full plate. As for a bad critique- they tend to be the best ones that help us grow more. At least that's how it is for me. Tell me what I did wrong, point out the flaws and I will work on them next time I shoot. Glad to have you still with us!

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 9 months ago #99851 by SnapShotsByTracy
Im Not Upset.. I don't mind the critiques.. cause that's how you get better. I've only had my DSLR since Christmas... I'm still really learning the ins and outs of it. I don't mind good and bad. I don't let it bother me to much. Everyone has their opinions.. An I'm not going to let one or two bad ones discourage me from doing what I love and want to become. I'm sure every photographer has had bad critiques but that hasn't stopped them all. I know you have to have a tough skin for this.. I haven't been on as much due to working full time and having 3 little models to control.. not always easy to get and shoot..

Tracy Stebbins
12 years 9 months ago #99855 by The Time Capturer

mj~shutterbugg wrote: I am glad you didn't leave! I think if you've only had the D-SLR since Christmas and have 3 kids plus a full time job your hands are full and that you will practice when the time is there. You have a full plate. As for a bad critique- they tend to be the best ones that help us grow more. At least that's how it is for me. Tell me what I did wrong, point out the flaws and I will work on them next time I shoot. Glad to have you still with us!

:agree:

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #99903 by SnapShotsByTracy
thanks everyone for you post im sorry i didnt reply right away... I do appreciate everything everyone has said and posted in my questions. and quest to become better.. Dont think I was ignoring anyone.. I read everyones post...

Tracy Stebbins
12 years 9 months ago #100019 by Stealthy Ninja

SnapShotsByTracy wrote: im sorry everyone I just been busy with work, and kids... i left a message for one of you ill repost it on here too..

IM Not upset... I don't mind the critiques.. cause thats how you get better. I've only had my DSLR since christmas... Im still really learning the ins and outs of it. I dont mind good and bad. I dont let it bother me to much. Everyone has their opinions.. An Im not going to let one or two bad ones discourage me from doing what I love and want to become. Im sure every photographer has had bad critiques but that hasnt stopped them all. I know you have to have a tough skin for this.. I havent been on as much due to working full time and having 3 little models to control.. not always easy to get out and play with my camera...

You wanna be pro, then stop taking "snapshots" and "playing" with your camera. ;) :p
12 years 9 months ago #100043 by Rob pix4u2
Tracy - glad you read all of our replies to your questions and it didn't scare you off. If going into photography as a pro is your dream then by all means follow your heart and try your best to be successful . My initial response to your query was to get you to think about what you had asked- it was a loaded question. Technique takes a long time to master for some folks especially if you are busy with life and a day job. Stay on task and practice, practice, practice as much as you can-it will mean long days. You need experience to hone your craft and you can only gain that behind the lens. read and ask questions as much as you can - there are no dumb questions except the one you never ask.. Good luck and Happy Shooting

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #100691 by photobod

SnapShotsByTracy wrote: thanks everyone for you post im sorry i didnt reply right away... I do appreciate everything everyone has said and posted in my questions. and quest to become better.. Dont think I was ignoring anyone.. I read everyones post...

Thanks for replying on this thread and thanks for replying to my message, we dont want to send anyone away unhappy, we just get people to look at themselves and understand which direction to go in, its all constructive, even the cheeky Ninja means well :P
we look forward to seeing you improve. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #101071 by Stealthy Ninja

photobod wrote:

SnapShotsByTracy wrote: thanks everyone for you post im sorry i didnt reply right away... I do appreciate everything everyone has said and posted in my questions. and quest to become better.. Dont think I was ignoring anyone.. I read everyones post...

Thanks for replying on this thread and thanks for replying to my message, we dont want to send anyone away unhappy, we just get people to look at themselves and understand which direction to go in, its all constructive, even the cheeky Ninja means well :P
we look forward to seeing you improve. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yes, i do. I use sarcasm, jokes and harsh words to show I love you. :blink:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024