Crystal clear eyes

12 years 9 months ago #99657 by Anne
Hi, can someone tell me how photographers get those crystal clear eyes in photos? I know light has the most to do with it, but sometimes they really don't look real. I would just like to get mine clearer and crystally-looking. Are they using a program to enhance? Thanks.

12 years 9 months ago #99673 by Anne
www.sarahmarinophotography.com/index2.php#/gallery1/2/

Here are some examples of the crystal clear eyes. How do they do that?

12 years 9 months ago #99675 by MLKstudios
Starts with getting them sharp with the lens (in focus). Then often an extra touch is given them in post.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #99709 by chasrich
I just spent ten minutes looking for this tutorial on photoshop that included eye touch ups. No luck finding it but Photobod might know where it is.

Basically it went in and described darkening the pupil, dodging the inside portions of the iris while a slight burn to the outer edge of the iris. Remove any bloodshot whites then add a reflection.

Does anyone remember where that video was?

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #99745 by chasrich

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #99879 by Anne
Thank you for all your looking. Is all that available in Photoshop Elements 7, or do I need something like CS5?

12 years 9 months ago #100025 by Stealthy Ninja
Focus properly with a sharp lens... and shallow DOF.

As MLK said, nice PP work too.
12 years 9 months ago #100065 by chasrich

Anne wrote: Thank you for all your looking. Is all that available in Photoshop Elements 7, or do I need something like CS5?

I did all of the steps in Paint Shop Pro... I'm sure there are dozens of applications that can accomplish this Post Production magic. The real key is to aim small... focus on just the eye as MLK and Stealthy Ninja has mentioned.

12 years 9 months ago #100149 by DestinDave
Nice video Charles - thanks for finding it again.. added to my bookmarks.

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 9 months ago #100585 by Anne
Thanks, everyone. I just bought Lightroom and don't know much about it yet. Can it do the same editing as Paint Shop Pro? If not, any other good, not too expensive programs you might suggest? Thanks!

12 years 9 months ago #102501 by Anne
Hi again didn't hear from anyone on the lightroom
topic. Anyone??? Thanks!

12 years 9 months ago #102521 by photobod

chasrich wrote: I just spent ten minutes looking for this tutorial on photoshop that included eye touch ups. No luck finding it but Photobod might know where it is.

Basically it went in and described darkening the pupil, dodging the inside portions of the iris while a slight burn to the outer edge of the iris. Remove any bloodshot whites then add a reflection.

Does anyone remember where that video was?

Darn it I am away for 24 hours and missed my moment of glory on my favourite technique, well done Charles for finding the tutorial it really is a good one, practise practise practise.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #102525 by photobod

Anne wrote: Hi again didn't hear from anyone on the lightroom
topic. Anyone??? Thanks!

Hi Anne, you can do lots of work in lightroom but when it comes to the finer techniques like dodging and burning eyes etc then you need photoshop or similar software.

Try this site for lightroom lightroomers.com/

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #103588 by Tuscany

Anne wrote: www.sarahmarinophotography.com/index2.php#/gallery1/2/

Here are some examples of the crystal clear eyes. How do they do that?

Looks like Portrait Professional

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #104102 by Anne
Ok, someone said something about a good reflector helping make those crystal eyes. If so, what kind do you suggest? Nothing that will break the bank! LOL

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024