Senior Portraits

6 years 4 days ago - 6 years 4 days ago #295407 by Dagny-Dreisewerd

HI,

I'm new to this forum but constantly reading the articles...

I recently did an outdoor photo shoot for Senior Photos of a young lady,

We ended the 7 hour day with over 1,200 pictures.

That to me is too many photos to choose from, so if you can only imagine trying to chose a mere 30 for the client to break down, imagine me in front of my editing screen for literally days going back and forth and tweeking here and there until perfection...

please let me know what you see in these photos, and which ones in a non bias way are the best for use in Senior Portraits...

Thanks, Dagny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 4 days ago #295449 by KCook
I like #2 the best. If the daylight is too strong to allow full aperture, try an ND filter to cut down the light. A few indoor shots with controlled lighting would have been a nice addition. Links for a few ideas -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/beginner-p...or-outdoor-portraits

photographylife.com/how-to-photograph-high-school-seniors

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dagny-Dreisewerd

6 years 4 days ago #295459 by Hassner
It is not easy to add to what Kelly said. He is a good teacher.

If you want a more detailed crit, you can always add the lens used and the mm of the shot (if done with a zoom).
Also add the ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.

Photo Comments

5 years 6 months ago #351779 by Simon Says
Stunning shots! Especially the 5th one, a WOW shot!

5 years 6 months ago #351831 by DSRay
#1 makes her look like a pole vaulter.
#2 the non-vertical building corner and wire is very distracting to me.
#3 is nice except the building in the background.
#4 I really like this one except for the railroad rail (?).
#5 is very nice but needs some fill light.
#6 don't care for B&W.
#7 got a chuckle from me, the best of the bunch in MHO.

5 years 6 months ago #355119 by Wall-E
It looks like you need to bring in some more light, either using a reflector or off camera flash.

#1 Could have used a scrim to soften the sunlight.
#2 Has no shadows on the face, therefore, no definition.
#3 You lost her left eye in the shadow.
#4 The tops of her cheekbones are dark.
#5 is just flat.
#6 Again, her face is just flat.
#7 Some reflected light from camera left would have brought out her eyes instead of hiding them in the shadow of her hair. Cute idea, though.

5 years 6 months ago #355231 by garyrhook
You need off camera flash. Your subject's face is just lost in shadow.

Fortunately, if you shot RAW, you can compensate in most of these by brightening her face.

7 hours is far, far too much. A decent plan and 2 hours, with only a handful of clothing changes, should be enough. You need, at most, 250 images to choose from, and that's only if you take multiple shots of each pose (which can be helpful; don't get me wrong). Slow down, take your time, work on posing, and be absolutely ruthless when culling.

if you have Lightroom, learn to use survey mode; I've recently adopted this approach and it is already helping me to save time.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Canon T7i is an entry-level camera with some excellent features that will help you learn and grow as a photographer. Find out if it's the right camera for you in this Canon T7i review.

Sep 09, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Camera sling bags are a top choice for photographers that want functionality, comfort, and ease of use. Here's our pick for the top 5 camera sling bags of 2019.

Sep 18, 2019

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

Not sure what to give the photographer on your shopping list? With a $5,000 budget, the possibilities are endless! Check out our picks for the best gifts for photographers under $5,000.

Sep 13, 2019

With these innovative camera accessories, you can extend the functionality and ease of use of your camera and give yourself a better ability to capture the beauty around you.

Sep 12, 2019

Learn how to master the art of wide-angle landscape photography with four simple tips that will greatly improve the quality of your landscape photos.

Sep 12, 2019

Are you sick of your gear weighing your shoulders down, causing undue neck and shoulder pain? With the new Holdfast Gear Tanker Belt, you can carry your gear in total comfort on your hips.

Sep 12, 2019

Photo by Prince Akachi on Unsplash #NoBudgetNoPhotos is going viral after a photographer, Nafa Ribeiro, revealed damning emails...

Sep 12, 2019