Senior Portraits

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #295407 by Dagny-Dreisewerd

HI,

I'm new to this forum but constantly reading the articles...

I recently did an outdoor photo shoot for Senior Photos of a young lady,

We ended the 7 hour day with over 1,200 pictures.

That to me is too many photos to choose from, so if you can only imagine trying to chose a mere 30 for the client to break down, imagine me in front of my editing screen for literally days going back and forth and tweeking here and there until perfection...

please let me know what you see in these photos, and which ones in a non bias way are the best for use in Senior Portraits...

Thanks, Dagny
10 years 7 months ago #295449 by KCook
I like #2 the best. If the daylight is too strong to allow full aperture, try an ND filter to cut down the light. A few indoor shots with controlled lighting would have been a nice addition. Links for a few ideas -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/beginner-p...or-outdoor-portraits

photographylife.com/how-to-photograph-high-school-seniors

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dagny-Dreisewerd
10 years 7 months ago #295459 by Hassner
It is not easy to add to what Kelly said. He is a good teacher.

If you want a more detailed crit, you can always add the lens used and the mm of the shot (if done with a zoom).
Also add the ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #351779 by Simon Says
Stunning shots! Especially the 5th one, a WOW shot!

10 years 1 month ago #351831 by DSRay
#1 makes her look like a pole vaulter.
#2 the non-vertical building corner and wire is very distracting to me.
#3 is nice except the building in the background.
#4 I really like this one except for the railroad rail (?).
#5 is very nice but needs some fill light.
#6 don't care for B&W.
#7 got a chuckle from me, the best of the bunch in MHO.

10 years 1 month ago #355119 by Wall-E
It looks like you need to bring in some more light, either using a reflector or off camera flash.

#1 Could have used a scrim to soften the sunlight.
#2 Has no shadows on the face, therefore, no definition.
#3 You lost her left eye in the shadow.
#4 The tops of her cheekbones are dark.
#5 is just flat.
#6 Again, her face is just flat.
#7 Some reflected light from camera left would have brought out her eyes instead of hiding them in the shadow of her hair. Cute idea, though.

10 years 1 month ago #355231 by garyrhook
You need off camera flash. Your subject's face is just lost in shadow.

Fortunately, if you shot RAW, you can compensate in most of these by brightening her face.

7 hours is far, far too much. A decent plan and 2 hours, with only a handful of clothing changes, should be enough. You need, at most, 250 images to choose from, and that's only if you take multiple shots of each pose (which can be helpful; don't get me wrong). Slow down, take your time, work on posing, and be absolutely ruthless when culling.

if you have Lightroom, learn to use survey mode; I've recently adopted this approach and it is already helping me to save time.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024