1st time putting photo's up open for critique

10 years 5 days ago #360083 by Kell
img\def

img\def

10 years 5 days ago #360089 by Tuscan Muse
Great Kell!  I know the first time is kind of scary. :(    I like these, but the first thing that i noticed was the cropping of both images.  What made you decide to crop where you did?
10 years 5 days ago #360109 by Kell
Hi, thanks so much. I cropped the photo to try and tidy it up. I was wanting to get more of her in the photo. I was using a 50mm lense. I see now that yes it is a bit silly as her hand is missing and even the rest of her dress.

10 years 5 days ago #360111 by Kell
I just went and checked the original photo. Her hand has been cut out whilst shooting the photo. Wow!! Huge lesson learnt right there!

10 years 5 days ago #360131 by Leilanee
That first pic is adorable!  Love those eyes.  I'm okay with the tighter crop on that one, because the eyes seem to be the focus of that photo to me.
The second photo I would have framed slightly differently just so that finger isn't cut off... but otherwise, nice exposure and such.  Nice images!

10 years 5 days ago #360149 by Kell
Wonderful. Thanks so much. Learning so much already :)

10 years 5 days ago #360163 by KCook
#1 looks best to me.  Nice exposure and colors.  I would like to see a little more contrast.  This could be done either with lighting or in post.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 5 days ago #360167 by Kell
Should I be shooting in RAW to get better contrast etc..thanks so much for your feedback. This is wonderful :)

10 years 5 days ago #360211 by garyrhook

Kell wrote: Should I be shooting in RAW to get better contrast etc..thanks so much for your feedback. This is wonderful :)

If you prefer to let your camera make decisions on processing for contrast, exposure and color, by all means, do not shoot in RAW format.  As soon as you do, you've lost data that you may have used to your advantage.

If you want to create an image according to your vision, RAW files will provide the most flexibility. It also means learning to post-process in Lightroom, Photoshop, or similar application.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 days ago - 10 years 5 days ago #360213 by KCook
RAW offers more precise control over contrast than with a JPG.  Some folks are fussy about this, and some are not.  The better RAW editors also offer more flavors of tone control.  Unfortunately these better editors, such as Lightroom, are not cheap.  Links for more info -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...ead?start=120#155994

photographylife.com/mastering-lightroom-...-use-the-basic-panel

www.clickinmoms.com/blog/full-portrait-retouching-in-lightroom/

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kell
10 years 5 days ago #360343 by Leilanee
Oh, God...

Another wild RAW debate appears!  Go.. opinion!

I'm just going to throw it out there that I went FIVE YEARS without shooting RAW and some snobs laugh at me for that but I quite think my photos look damn fine thank you very much.  I shoot RAW now, but honestly I rarely even use my RAW editor, maybe because I'm not creative enough to really enhance my photos beyond my wildest dreams in photoshop, or maybe it's because I already achieve the look I wanted for the photo in-camera, and if I don't it's because it was a general flop and isn't something that can be fixed by recovery of "missing data" via under/over exposure or whatever else... it's because my idea sucked and I sucked at trying to portray it.

So do whatever you want, enter the slough of people telling you that I'm just a nut talking out of my ass and you should never shoot RAW, but I personally have only used a RAW editor to my advantage....

drumroll please....

once.
And I don't even remember when that was.

Yeah yeah, I'm stupid, apparently RAW is some deity I have not chosen to worship, and I guess my photos suck and have suffered because of my blind ignorance.

/rant

Now, ignoring my little outburst of annoyance at the inevitability of people telling you not to listen to me, that my opinion is wrong, and that everyone should shoot RAW ALWAYS (because RAW), if you're working in situations where the lighting just doesn't work to your advantage or you're trying to get a particular image but some factor isn't ideal in your environment, RAW can be handy.
I just usually avoid un-ideal conditions.  Maybe that's not realistic for professional paid photographers, but I dunno.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kell
9 years 6 months ago #400906 by Travel Nut
Both good ones...I like #1 though....

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024