Faces Are Not Required

5 years 5 months ago #613133 by garyrhook
Got this in an email today:

www.ai-ap.com/publications/article/24072...et-the-winner-z.html

The winning photo shows someone repairing a fishing net, and the face isn't visible.

Huh.

I bring this up because NewavaMike posted an image of a neighbor gardening, and there were comments that a face was required.

I'm here to state unequivocally that that is not true. Clearly it's
possible to win an international photo competition with an image that
contains people and no faces.

What I am not saying is that other elements of an image aren't important. Quite the contrary. But to
focus on a single thing is, I believe, somewhat problematic. Especially
when it's pretty easy to refute said claim.  Like here.

In any event, the winning images are beautiful, and I thought worth sharing.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #613136 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: I bring this up because NewavaMike posted an image of a neighbor gardening, and there were comments that a face was required.

In the case of my comment, it was applying to Mike's picture only at
that moment, on that photo.

Mike's picture has none (yet) of the many visual pleasures your posted
linked picture has to offer. So many that the scene does not document
but expresses, inspires, reveal. A face is not required because the viewer
is overwhelmed by textures, shades, tonalities etc that are so rich and
convincing that the documentation of the person is surely not required.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #613146 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote:

garyrhook wrote: I bring this up because NewavaMike posted an image of a neighbor gardening, and there were comments that a face was required.

In the case of my comment, it was applying to Mike's picture only at
that moment, on that photo.

Mike's picture has none (yet) of the many visual pleasures your posted
linked picture has to offer. So many that the scene does not document
but expresses, inspires, reveal. A face is not required because the viewer
is overwhelmed by textures, shades, tonalities etc that are so rich and
convincing that the documentation of the person is surely not required.

I'm going to disagree with that assertion.

I think that the referenced (winning) image was more successful at telling its story. I believe that effective commentary is goes deep in evaluating effectiveness.

The problem is that what were offered as (ostensibly) critiques (of Mike's image) came across as nothing of the sort ("nothing special"?). I found them unhelpful, unencouraging, and lacking in scope in either a micro, macro, or meta perspective.

And frankly, that really bothers me. Quite a bit. Not that anyone cares.

My experience (limited though it may be) is that this community (photography, not just PT) encourages (for the most part) better. And when I see an epic failure (such as how I think this instance came across) I'm going to express my opinion about it.

So: in my opinion some of the posted critiques of Mike's image could have been handled with far more grace and helpfulness. Instead of emphasis on a single aspect that was, in my opinion, relatively minor. In my opinion the sandwich approach is always a good idea, if only to force a commentor to think about what they're trying to say.  Or to keep quiet.

Def: "commentor": one who comments. Apparently it's not really a word.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #613147 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: So: in my opinion some of the posted critiques of Mike's image could have been handled with far more grace…

I surely have none of your skills in your language. :(
I had some PMs with Mike and the contact was easy and pleasant. I felt
like he understood what I meant even with my language difficulties.

garyrhook wrote: Def: "commentor": one who comments. Apparently it's not really a word.

Commentator maybe?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #617622 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote:

garyrhook wrote: Def: "commentor": one who comments. Apparently it's not really a word.

Commentator maybe?

Works for me.

Apologies for being a grammar cop. Or perhaps "flic de la grammaire" according to babelfish.

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #621634 by NewavaMike
I appreciate both of your inputs (and everyone else's too) about my "gardener" shot.  
It hardly compares to the winner of that contest, but I understand your point and appreciate  you sharing the link with my shot in mind Gary.  As limited as my experience in photography is, I find that critique, especially by photographers whom I respect, like NS and yourself...... (and a great number of others around here: ( I really am a small fish)  is wonderful !  It means someone actually looked at my picture and had a thought about it.  That's pretty cool.  NS didn't like that the neighbors face did not show.  To me, that only meant that he would have liked to see her face in the image.  It would have made a better connection with him as an outsider to the scene.  

Yourself and others liked it just as it was. 

Conclusion:  Keep taking pictures !!  :) 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024