November 5th weekend Photography Challenge/Homework

12 years 5 months ago #163467 by Alex
OK folks, this weekends photography Challenge/homework is a simple one. All you need to do is take a close up of any small object in your house (can be found else where too), something that has a story to it.

I'll start this out. While up in NY last week we visited my Uncle David who I hadn't seen in nearly 11 years or so. My Uncle is a collector of antiques and entire house if full of cool stuff to photograph. One of the objects that caught my eye right away was this gold hunk of metal and gears which ended up being the guts of an old clock.

With so much stuff all over the place it's hard not to get a busy back ground. In this photo my Uncle had a antique light he was holding about 2' above the clock, I had a 24mm lens set at f/1.4 ISO 500 with shutter at 1/5000 sec. . With the fast shutter and light over head I was able to get a black back ground and keep the focus on the gears.

Your turn! Find something in your house with a story to it, and share it here!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #163479 by RogerS
Nice one. I'll have to go dig out some of my antiques now.

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #163490 by Deb920
Interesting ... I thought it was a gear from a clock.

In response to your 'challenge', I found this little basket sitting on a bookcase.
Nikon D700
f/9 1/3 sec (tripod mounted) no flash.
28-300mm lens set at 70mm
No post processing, just downloaded and posted.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #163503 by Alex
Nice start, keep it coming folks!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #163512 by Papabear63
Got these from my bro when i got out of the hospital just before Christmas, yeah they bring back good memories,lol,lol
Canon Powershot
shutter speed 1/50 sec
F-stop f4.0
ISO 1600

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #163513 by RAvellone

This was my grandmothers coffee grinder that sat on her living room table since I was a child, when she passed away the one thing I ask to have was this. I played with it, pretended I was grinding coffee , opened the drawer at the bottom. Oh the memories. I wouldn't take $1,000 for it

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #163530 by Scotty

Father's guitar he bought when he was a youngin with paper route money.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #163560 by Baydream
Now off on a "treasure hunt". But first, from a visit to my cousin in Wingina, Va, I found this in the Post Office.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #163632 by Deb920
The first image is the sun coming thru the cut glass on the front door reflecting across the room onto the door leading to the basement.
Image 2 is a Galileo thermometer on top of a glass covered table with a lamp lighting the scene. No flash was used in either photo.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #163676 by Ty1977

one of my Buddhas!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: chasrich
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #163696 by McBeth Photography

Perhaps something that very few people know about me is I am a hearing aid wearer, almost deaf in my right ear. And thanks to my two little friends here, I can hear stereo sound beautifully now instead of living in a mono-toned world.

Lighting sucks but here is what I used;

Nikon D70, f16, 1/500 sec, 200 ISO. Sigma EF-500 DG Super NA-iTTL fired wirelessy in the D70 Commander Mode TTL.

Oh yeah, the lens was my AF Nikkor 35-70mm 2.8D which has a macro feature on the 35mm end.

It is what it is.
Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #163835 by Rascal07
Have one just like that one . Belongs to my husbands grandmother. He has a lot of cool stuff. Rascal07
12 years 5 months ago #163858 by Screamin Scott

McBeth Photography wrote:

Perhaps something that very few people know about me is I am a hearing aid wearer, almost deaf in my right ear. And thanks to my two little friends here, I can hear stereo sound beautifully now instead of living in a mono-toned world.

Lighting sucks but here is what I used;

Nikon D70, f16, 1/500 sec, 200 ISO. Sigma EF-500 DG Super NA-iTTL fired wirelessy in the D70 Commander Mode TTL.

Oh yeah, the lens was my AF Nikkor 35-70mm 2.8D which has a macro feature on the 35mm end.

Barry, I have been hard of hearing since birth, I wear hearing aids in both ears. I have a severe loss in both ears but with the aids, it's like night & day. Once I take them off, there are lots of things I can't hear (good for when my wife is asking me to do "Honey Do chores:rofl: :rofl: )

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #163869 by Maria21
awesome shots guys. now I'll have to get looking around here to find some interesting things to shoot... I'll post something later. Keep the pics rolling
:thumbsup:

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #164192 by Dr_Jingles
Picture of a grandfather's clock that my son bought for $5 at Goodwill while away at College...because he said it reminded him of his beloved Great Grandmother who recently passed...

Shot with my Nikon D3100
f/6.3
24mm focal length
1/160
no flash
ISO 1600
AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 5.6G lens

Anyone can take a picture...a person with a passion sees the picture before it's taken. - Anonymous
Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024