Spish Splash! How to shoot a water drop splash... It's a learning curve!

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #167336 by chasrich
Stand by for some mad scientist results. Yesterday I spent several hours shooting in my carport/studio trying to master the art of stop action photography with a water drop hitting a surface. There is a lot more to it than meets the eye - A LOT MORE!

Shooting on the white bed cover of my truck, I'm using a clear tumbler and a three foot drop. The camera is sporting a 270mm lens focused at about two feet. Closer and the camera gets splashed.

We need some color so I placed a blue colored plastic sheet under the tumbler and then switched the tunbler for a bit larger bowl... The splash changed shape somewhat for the better, I think.

I learned that timing the shot is critical. Too early and you get a splash shaped like a crater with fringe around the edges... This shape changes into a deep round valley with a ridge built up. As the ridge rushes in to fill the hole it spouts a central column upward. Mostly you try and get something good - mostly you don't. Understanding where you are in the cycle with the quick review you can try to fine tune your click a bit sooner or later.

I'm thinking a shallow pool for the splash might sharpen the plume I'm seeking so I changed to a puddle formed on the plastic piece alone - no container... Did I mention this got very complicated? :woohoo:

Then I tried a saucer and a new color - black...

At some time in here I changed the drop to a six foot drop... New color alert. This is a red plastic plate. A bit deeper and a lot redder! :rofl:

I'm still not satisfied but I think I learned a lot and a working setup is getting closer. Future options will include lower drop height, colored water, faster drop rate, selecting the angle the camera is pointed, lighting experiments are ongoing. and the list goes on and on...

I just remembered I need to dry my white lab coat off... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: _Colleen_
12 years 4 months ago #167337 by Pixelchix
Water drops are like Cabbage Patch dolls. No two are ever alike! Great job. I always find the most challenging thing is the focus of the water when it drops. Plus I have never had a collision. Oh well if everything was easy I would be so bored!!

12 years 4 months ago #167378 by icepics
I like the blue 'crown' - classic, you captured that well. Never tried anything like this myself but find it interesting. Don't know if you're familiar w/Edgerton - another 'mad' scientist - at MIT. You'd probably enjoy 'Drops and Splashes', under Galleries.
edgerton-digital-collections.org/galleries/iconic
web.mit.edu/Edgerton/

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #167380 by chasrich
I'm familiar with him now. Thanks for the link. He does some amazing work. A lot of his images were made way back in the fifties. :goodpost:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
12 years 4 months ago #167395 by photobod
Nice work Charles surprised you have the time being so close to xmas :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 4 months ago #167425 by mklinejr
You have inspired, so i thought i would share my trials this one wasnt as flawed but i want to change the background color

Life is much more managable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffet
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Becca C. Photography
12 years 4 months ago #167491 by robbie
Interesting series Charles,lots of fun for you i`m sure!!

12 years 4 months ago #167510 by Stealthy Ninja
Your shots look quite cool, but I see the water drop shoot as a cliche that's a little overdone.

I've never done it myself for that very reason.
12 years 4 months ago #167527 by chasrich
I'm killing time until my strobe light gets here. Then I'm going to get some golf balls wet. Kind of a aqua hole-in-one.

12 years 4 months ago #167544 by Stealthy Ninja
For a minute there I didn't see the world "golf". :blink:
12 years 4 months ago #167550 by chasrich
I had to go back and add the word golf...

12 years 4 months ago #167618 by icepics
Once you get the strobe I'll be curious to see what you can do next with these type shots. If you have the interest in something, go for it.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #167627 by LauraD
Very cool shots ....Sounds like you put a lot of time in to it and I think they came out really good :)

I am a serious hobbyist and I am constantly trying to challenge myself with new and interesting shots. My photography can also be viewed here:
lauradphotography.zenfolio.com/
laura-daddona.artistwebsites.com/
LauraD.imagekind.com

12 years 4 months ago #167651 by Joiemagic
Charles.,.. getting adventurous with the camera I see... Now you got me thinking... to expand on my running faucet photos....

Nice series of shots I must say... Look forward to seeing more and what you come up with next.

:cheers: :judge: :judge: :judge: :cheers:

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 4 months ago #167657 by Stealthy Ninja
:banana:

chasrich wrote: I had to go back and add the word golf...

Good idea, don't want the young kids getting any crazy ideas. :pinch:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024