Exposure studio quandry

12 years 4 months ago #175733 by PNMBritt
Okay,
Typically I balance my exposure off the histogram from a grey card image. I run my main about a 1/2 stop to the right and my fill about a 1/2 stop left. I bump everything up a little if I am shooting to the right and I usually do because it typically works better for me in RAW. All this is done from the camera back. (Scarey I know). What I am wanting to do is balance this using a captured grey card, from Gimp software. In this scenario, I am adjusting exposure by lighting placement and keeping my f constant. Then using this grey card image as a color balance. Basically what I am doing in the camera moved to the computer, but untethered.

Application would be school, sports, ect. I do a lot of this type of work. Just looking to streamline a little.
Andy

In life there have always been those who make fire; but most just sit around the fire and enjoy the warmth. A great mind absent of action is waste.
Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #175829 by PNMBritt
Okay,
I have doing some homework and now it is time for the test. After this evenings photo=session, I am going to shoot a grey card and a quickly done portrait on a card. Once home, I am going to take a look at the histogram on the laptop and see if I can gauge off of that, then batch white balance. If this works and I can do this with two - three bodies at a time, this may be a good thing. We will see.

In life there have always been those who make fire; but most just sit around the fire and enjoy the warmth. A great mind absent of action is waste.
12 years 4 months ago #175920 by photobod
You have me puzzled, as I am not clear on what you are trying to achieve, your descriptions of what you are doing are not clear enough to be understood and answered.
Also what it is you are doing seems to be working as the photo shown is very good, in that case dont fix what isnt broken !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

The following user(s) said Thank You: PNMBritt
12 years 4 months ago #176126 by PNMBritt
Let me try this again. Currently, I am shooting a target / grey card and using the camera histogram to balance my lighting to the way that I like it. I use the same captured image of the grey card to batch white balance control in the computer. I have done this a million times and actually I am getting quite fast at it. Typically speaking, I set my camera for the effect that I want and very the lights power / distance to get the exposure that I am looking for. I know my exposure is correct and my lighting ratio is where I want it. I would just like to have a fail safe to view the histogram in Gimp before I begin my process. Turns out, it can be done! Now the same image that I use to check my lighting is the same image that I use to batch WB. Sort of like what they do with tethered systems only without manipulating the camera settings, so there is no real need to be tethered. At least I don't think so. I am still experimenting with this.

12 years 4 months ago #183341 by athday00
Good luck with the experimenting. The picture you posted, I think you did an incredible job on it. Well done. :judge:

The following user(s) said Thank You: PNMBritt
12 years 4 months ago #183487 by photobod
I get your drift, seems like you are answering your own question, good luck and share some more photos with us :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 4 weeks ago #213938 by H.Priyanka
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

©PH-otography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024