Matt's "Fix it in Photoshop" challenge

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #199417 by Henry Peach
I hear/read it all the time: photographers are taking shortcuts or just flubbing the exposure and/or lighting all together, and then they are fixing it up lickity-split in Photoshop. I need to learn these tricks, because even after studying Photoshop and photography for years I find it almost impossible to turn a poorly taken photo into a good finished photo.

I would like to see examples of poor photographs (as they come out of the camera) turned into good photographs with image processing software. I'm not talking removing a zit or adding a catchlight. I want to see sows' ears turned into silk purses! It doesn't have to be your work; feel free to post links (please consider PT forum rules on posting copyrighted photos) to examples of other photog's work that demonstrate fixing it in Photoshop.

Here's one of my favorites: Ansel Adams' most popular (I believe that means best selling) photograph "Moonrise". Although since the photo was made in 1941, it was "fixed" in the darkroom (no pun intended). Scroll halfway down the page at the link below to see an example of a contact print of the neg and Adams' finished print.

haroldhallphotography.com/blog/photo-alterations-26.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: CharlesE
12 years 2 months ago #199420 by Baydream
Grand example of post processing "making" the photo. Now to look for the same type of "magic". :goodpost:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #199487 by photobod
Photoshop will not turn a poor photograph into a good one, it will turn a good photograph into a better one, remember it is best to do most of the work in camera. :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 2 months ago #199490 by Darrell
Great example of how pictures have been created even with film, not sure about the idea of making a bad picture a good one " lickity-split in Photoshop ", I sure can't do it.....

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #199515 by Scotty
I have a few ill post in a bit.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #199533 by icepics
I saw you mention this Matt in an earlier thread, so you got me looking into this more today. I think too that you can only do so much with a bad photo, but by that I mean one that's out of focus, has blur from camera movement, etc. etc.

This image seems somewhat different from that as Ansel saw something there, enough to cause him to pull over the car and start grabbing equipment etc. This may not exactly be one of his best negatives and took a lot of work to get this photo, but in this case it involves a good bit of artistic interpretation I think ( such as the exceptionally darkened sky). And it was a matter of doing what you can with what you have to work with, or not getting the shot at all. He supposedly considered bracketing, but there wasn't time as the sun was going down, and even making a second shot wasn't an option since by the time he finished the first exposure was done, he'd lost the light.

I have one particular photo that happened once when I was out of town. I'd been shooting indoors low light with 400 speed film and on my way to the car saw some industrial type buildings next door that I stopped to photograph. I was on the last roll of film with nowhere in sight to buy more, so being out in bright sun I closed the lens down all the way, set the camera at the fastest shutter speed and used up the last of the roll. There wouldn't have been a chance to go back so it was use what I had or nothing at all.

I had one particular shot of a brick building that due to the conditions was so dense I could hardly see the image, but I knew what was in that negative; so I zapped light thru it and burned the heck out of it til I got the photo I knew was there. But if the photo had been too out of focus or the negative was way too thin etc. I probably wouldn't have been able to do anything with it. As it turns out it was good enough to get accepted and displayed in a local art exhibit this fall.

So maybe it depends on if there's some potential in an image that it's worth the time and effort and editing, or if it's a badly done photo that with a lot of processing ends up being an image where you notice the editing more than the image itself.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #199545 by Scotty
Now you'll know some of my secrets.

It's no ansel adams or van gogh, but I completely saved the shot from disaster and made it presentable.
BEFORE

AFTER.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #199547 by Baydream
Good save, Scotty.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #199549 by Darrell
Great job !! :judge: :judge:

Bet that was not done lickity-split ...

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #199550 by Scotty

Darrell wrote: Great job !! :judge: :judge:

Bet that was not done lickity-split ...

Correct. Doing rays by hand takes a lot of patience.

Thank you btw.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #199561 by mj~shutterbugg

Scotty wrote: Now you'll know some of my secrets.

It's no ansel adams or van gogh, but I completely saved the shot from disaster and made it presentable.
BEFORE

AFTER.

Great example of what a talent photographer and excellent PP skills can produce. I do not have the best PP skills so I strive for better camera skills. Btw, great finished product.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 2 months ago #199586 by Scotty

mj~shutterbugg wrote:

BEFORE

AFTER.

Great example of what a talent photographer and excellent PP skills can produce. I do not have the best PP skills so I strive for better camera skills. Btw, great finished product.

Thank you.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #199587 by Shadowfixer1
This was an experiment gone wrong. Most here will remember this image. I think I salvaged the image somewhat. Not completely, but some.

Before

After
12 years 2 months ago #199681 by Scotty

Shadowfixer1 wrote: This was an experiment gone wrong. Most here will remember this image. I think I salvaged the image somewhat. Not completely, but some.

Before

After

Nice save!

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #199900 by Stealthy Ninja

BEFORE

AFTER.

Tsk tsk, lost details in the light areas. :p

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024