One lens for a year, one photo per day - Challenge!

10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #310919 by McBeth Photography
So I had a chat with a friend of mine who is also an art professor at the university where I work. He is an avid amateur photographer. We are both Nikon gear heads and enjoy shooting with various lenses and sometimes loan each other a lens here or there....it's cool. He has an interesting idea, he's thinking about choosing one prime lens to shoot with for an entire year. It's kinda a personal growth thing, and he means using the one lens exclusively. I told him this morning that there is no way that I could do that, but after giving it some thought.....maybe.

So, one prime lens for a year, at least one photo per day. :blink: Film, digital, or both. Would you do it? Which lens would it be and why? :huh:

It is what it is.
10 years 4 months ago #311017 by icepics
A year! I'd never make it! LOL Although I've used a135mm most of the time doing sports/events. Now it depends on what I'm doing. When I'm using a rangefinder I'm usually using a 45 or 50mm.

Probably as soon as I decided to try something like this there'd be something that I'd want to photograph that I'd want a completely different lens than what I'd just put on the camera. LOL

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago #311035 by Stealthy Ninja
I've gone one day with one lens before.
10 years 4 months ago #311191 by Joves
No that is one challenge I would lose. Now shooting photos with one lens a one CF card sure. That way I would not mix the shots up with the rest.

10 years 4 months ago #311241 by McBeth Photography

icepics wrote: A year! I'd never make it! LOL Although I've used a135mm most of the time doing sports/events. Now it depends on what I'm doing. When I'm using a rangefinder I'm usually using a 45 or 50mm.

Probably as soon as I decided to try something like this there'd be something that I'd want to photograph that I'd want a completely different lens than what I'd just put on the camera. LOL

I'm not sure if I can make it either, lol. I'm thinking about it though...

After reading a few blogs on the topic, there seems to be more than one shooter that says going with one lens was very liberating and they didn't feel like they had missed shots. I'm still thinking about it....maybe 2 lenses for me ;)

It is what it is.
10 years 4 months ago #311243 by McBeth Photography

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I've gone one day with one lens before.

You should try for a week! :kmonst:

It is what it is.
10 years 4 months ago #311245 by McBeth Photography

Joves wrote: No that is one challenge I would lose. Now shooting photos with one lens a one CF card sure. That way I would not mix the shots up with the rest.

I like this idea too....Decisions, decisions.... :unsure:

It is what it is.
10 years 4 months ago #311247 by John Landolfi
What, exactly, is the point of it? If someone were beginning to photograph, it would be a good way to becomer aware of framing, composition, DOF, etc. But, if you aren't a beginner, then...?

Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #311251 by McBeth Photography

John Landolfi wrote: What, exactly, is the point of it? If someone were beginning to photograph, it would be a good way to becomer aware of framing, composition, DOF, etc. But, if you aren't a beginner, then...?

The point is to embrace minimalism. Take one's mind off of this gear or that gear and focus on the shot, lighting, composition, editing, enjoying the craft, one shot at a time. My friend suggests that too often we make compromises for the sake of convenience rather than placing the quality of the image at the forefront. Personal growth....

I am considering 2 primes....not sure that I could do just one. :)

It is what it is.
10 years 4 months ago #311289 by John Landolfi

McBeth Photography wrote:

John Landolfi wrote: What, exactly, is the point of it? If someone were beginning to photograph, it would be a good way to becomer aware of framing, composition, DOF, etc. But, if you aren't a beginner, then...?

The point is to embrace minimalism. Take one's mind off of this gear or that gear and focus on the shot, lighting, composition, editing, enjoying the craft, one shot at a time. My friend suggests that too often we make compromises for the sake of convenience rather than placing the quality of the image at the forefront. Personal growth....

Do you mean that there are those among us who fret over their gear, and DON'T think about exposure, composition, etc, but just choose a lens, shoot, and"fix it later"? Who don't shoot one shot at a time, but "let 'er rip"? :woohoo: . I started with one lens, because I couldn't afford anything else, but I couldn't wait to be able to get a WA after having to give up on too many architecturals, or looking at landscapes that featured microscopic cities, since I had no Tele. Framing with your feet does have its limitations. It seems :analogous to trying to cook with just one pot, not one pot of various types, just one. Isn't it part of the craft to choose the view angle, the crop, the suitability of the lens to color or B/W, etc? It would seem a bit like seeing for how long you can hold your breath. Not my thing. :)

Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #311291 by McBeth Photography

John Landolfi wrote:

Do you mean that there are those among us who fret over their gear, and DON'T think about exposure, composition, etc, but just choose a lens, shoot, and"fix it later"? Who don't shoot one shot at a time, but "let 'er rip"? :woohoo: . I started with one lens, because I couldn't afford anything else, but I couldn't wait to be able to get a WA after having to give up on too many architecturals, or looking at landscapes that featured microscopic cities, since I had no Tele. Framing with your feet does have its limitations. It seems :analogous to trying to cook with just one pot, not one pot of various types, just one. Isn't it part of the craft to choose the view angle, the crop, the suitability of the lens to color or B/W, etc? It would seem a bit like seeing for how long you can hold your breath. Not my thing. :)

Now this sounds like a direct quote from our original conversation yesterday, even still, he's determined to go forward with the project. To me, I have the same curiosity that you do about the logic behind the idea John, but I think that he is treating it like a bit of an epiphany. I am interested in using my primes more, I just don't think that it'll be a single prime. ;)

It is what it is.
10 years 4 months ago #311315 by John Landolfi

John Landolfi wrote:

Now this sounds like a direct quote from our original conversation yesterday, even still, he's determined to go forward with the project. To me, I have the same curiosity that you do about the logic behind the idea John, but I think that he is treating it like a bit of an epiphany. I am interested in using my primes more, I just don't think that it'll be a single prime. ;)

And, I'll make this my last remark. It seems that you're thining of using two lenses exactly because of what I said above seems the natural approach to shooting. You are probably thinking of what you shoot most often, and wanting the lens you think will work best for you. Except for numbers ( I'm usually walking around with 4 or 5), I think we basically agree :) :cheers:

Photo Comments
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #311319 by McBeth Photography

John Landolfi wrote:

John Landolfi wrote:

And, I'll make this my last remark. It seems that you're thining of using two lenses exactly because of what I said above seems the natural approach to shooting. You are probably thinking of what you shoot most often, and wanting the lens you think will work best for you. Except for numbers ( I'm usually walking around with 4 or 5), I think we basically agree :) :cheers:

We do agree indeed John. :cheers: The biggest benefit for me to do two primes is mobility. I've go a lens case that secures firmly to one leg of my tripod. It will hold my 24 or my 50 with extension tubes comfortably. So instead of shooting at the base of the hill, I can throw my sticks on my shoulder and head up the trail, anytime, anywhere. I don't have to be concerned about the rest of my gear in the car. Polarizer and a ND-8 together in the shirt pocket. 3 stop Soft GND in the back pocket extra battery in the front pocket .... Gone shootin' ;)

It is what it is.
10 years 4 months ago #311333 by Stealthy Ninja

:kmonst: You should go eat a cookie.
10 years 4 months ago #311343 by McBeth Photography

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

:kmonst: You should go eat a cookie.

I just did. :kmonst:

It is what it is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024