EDIT ME challenge

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #390313 by Awediot
There is a lot of great advice out there...sometimes in the form of a critique for a specific photo. Different people perceive The Best outcome for an image differently and describe the varying steps to get there in different ways... This is a way to not just describe it, but to do it...everyone beginning at the same point, with the same starting shot...

1.a)  Post a 'difficult', straight from the camera photograph you have questions about improving so that others can download and FIX/enhance it for you...in their own unique way...

1.b)  Download an image posted by someone else and make it into the best shot you can... Keep track of the major steps you use and re-post both the edited work and short tutorial others can learn from.

[note...be sure to leave a link so full size image can be downloaded for editing]

How different artists treat the same image can be fascinating to see...and it forces those who want to play to 'put their money where there moth is'...so to speak...

To get started... This is a shot of the High Park forest fire smoke in Colorado, as seen from about 15 miles away, rising above the City Park pool in Ft Collins. I've never been happy with my improvements... Help?

img\def

(link: s247.photobucket.com/user/aztrobot/media...jpg.html?sort=3&o=47)

9 years 8 months ago #390355 by garyrhook

1.b)  Download an image posted by someone else and make it into the best shot you can... Keep track of the major steps you use and re-post both the edited work and short tutorial others can learn from.

I posted 3 images over in the Editing and Presentation area, simply for comments, but have yet to receive any feedback.

As for the image above, it's a JPG. It's been destroyed with respect to future edits.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #390410 by Awediot

garyrhook wrote:

I posted 3 images over in the Editing and Presentation area, simply for comments, but have yet to receive any feedback.

Sorry 'bout that...

I wasn't sure where to post this sort of thing. It is an interactive/ game type thread (mods feel free to adjust accordingly). It's critique in action...

As for the image above, it's a JPG. It's been destroyed with respect to future edits.

Nah it's not... May not be the RAW format many prefer (and I need to get more used to), but destroyed as to future editing is a bit of an overstatement...

Post one of your photos here and see if it gets any takers... It IS a pretty slick idea...

9 years 8 months ago #390411 by Awediot
Thanks Geospiri... In a hurry but will comment a bit more on your fix a bit later :)

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #390417 by Scotty

Awediot wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

Sorry 'bout that...

I wasn't sure where to post this sort of thing. It is an interactive/ game type thread (mods feel free to adjust accordingly). It's critique in action...

Nah it's not... May not be the RAW format many prefer (and I need to get more used to), but destroyed as to future editing is a bit of an overstatement...

Post one of your photos here and see if it gets any takers... It IS a pretty slick idea...

I agree, highlights are blown out completely.  I'd scrap it and reshoot.

Don't let me discourage this type of thread, just being honest. :)

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390435 by Awediot
Reshoot?

Let me grab my matches ;)

9 years 8 months ago #390523 by Leilanee

Awediot wrote: Reshoot?

Let me grab my matches ;)

OK now I'm concerned that those clouds are actually forest fire smoke and that OP is implying he started it... :blink:

9 years 8 months ago #390632 by Awediot
Lol...yep. Ya caught me... When I'm not spamtrolling the forums of photo sites to shame strangers away from cutting edge editing technology, I start forest fires because blue gets boring as a sky color, and sunsets are a dime a dozen...

img\def

9 years 8 months ago #390648 by icepics
It's not a bad idea, but maybe choose a different photo - or maybe people just aren't that into editing other people's pictures.

It looks like the exposure may have been off, and it could have been framed differently when the photo was taken. I would probably crop a portion of the bottom of the picture, probably from just above the horizontal metal bar in the fence - what's below that seem to be distractions that aren't adding to the photo. I'd probably crop the top just slightly too, there seems to be some white flare? across the top and I'd want to also eliminate that edge of a branch/leaves in the top left corner.

What's interesting is the blue sky and the arriving cloud of smoke. To me what tells a story is the pool and the people there still enjoying themselves and maybe not yet noticing that it's not just the sky clouding up before a rain. What's interesting visually too is the slide, and the fence could be part of the composition, but if you're going to use it instead of shooting thru or over it I think it would take thinking about how you want it in the picture.

The vertical post doesn't seem to add anything to the picture, but you'd have to move around and change the way the shot was framed and think about where the post and metal bars and chairs etc. are in the viewfinder. It could also be interesting to wait and keep shooting once you find a good vantage point and you might catch some reaction from the people (but you also might have started losing the blue sky by then).

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390678 by garyrhook

Awediot wrote: Lol...yep. Ya caught me... When I'm not spamtrolling the forums of photo sites to shame strangers away from cutting edge editing technology, I start forest fires because blue gets boring as a sky color, and sunsets are a dime a dozen... 

And it's not interesting to edit a JPG. The image has already been edited, either by the camera, or by you, or whatever. You can't undo that. So where the challenge? Fixing a mediocre image?  At least with a RAW file one has something with which to work.

It's not clear to me that you're shaming anyone. One wonders if you ever actually listen to yourself? It seems like so much self-important nonsense.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #390718 by Leilanee
I love it when people are willing to say what others are merely thinking :patriot:

9 years 8 months ago #390750 by garyrhook

Leilanee wrote: I love it when people are willing to say what others are merely thinking :patriot:

Well, it's part of my charm.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #390755 by Stealthy Ninja
Mmmm... the striking love inspects a bath of art. The nonsense cakes every employee participating in editing photoshop joyfully. A bearded alien facilitates an intent water whilst diving. A sod bicycles.

Here's my edit:

Awediot wrote:  'put their money where there moth is'...so to speak...

Seems about right...

9 years 8 months ago #390828 by garyrhook
:rofl:

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #390897 by Awediot

garyrhook wrote:

Awediot wrote: Lol...yep. Ya caught me... When I'm not spamtrolling the forums of photo sites to shame strangers away from cutting edge editing technology, I start forest fires because blue gets boring as a sky color, and sunsets are a dime a dozen... 

And it's not interesting to edit a JPG. The image has already been edited, either by the camera, or by you, or whatever. You can't undo that. So where the challenge? Fixing a mediocre image?  At least with a RAW file one has something with which to work.

It's not clear to me that you're shaming anyone. One wonders if you ever actually listen to yourself? It seems like so much self-important nonsense.

Oh dear... Bet I'm not the only one who isn't able to meet whatever it takes to interest you... At least I managed to qualify as worthy of the time it took to try and enlighten me as to how self important the nonsense I obliviously  post makes me appear... Appreciate you stooping to deliver such a constructive critique...blatant, almost painful irony you missed aside.

Personally...boring things posted by arrogant people doesn't merit a response. I barely even know I skimmed them. But to each their own.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024