Photo Contest Give-A-Way!!!

12 years 10 months ago #72377 by arvindpassey
Loved the contest... loved the friends and strangers here... loved the photographs... loved commenting on them... and loved learning soooo much.

Didn't win any prize in the photo contest... though I did get awarded the 4th place (8 Week PPSOP "Understanding Exposure" Course) in the Registration Give-A-Way Contest... and it makes me really happy.

Hope to keep learning from my new friends on this site.
:cheers:
The topic has been locked.
12 years 10 months ago #72387 by DonD2

arvindpassey wrote: Loved the contest... loved the friends and strangers here... loved the photographs... loved commenting on them... and loved learning soooo much.

Didn't win any prize in the photo contest... though I did get awarded the 4th place (8 Week PPSOP "Understanding Exposure" Course) in the Registration Give-A-Way Contest... and it makes me really happy.

Hope to keep learning from my new friends on this site.
:cheers:

Congratulations Arvind! :cheers:
And I agree with you about the friends and strangers and everything else!
12 years 10 months ago #72489 by arvindpassey
Congratulations to all...

The Registration Give-A-Way winners:
Grand Prize - Henry Peach, 1st Place - DestinDave, 2nd Place – NikonJan, 3rd Place – KCook, 4th Place – arvindpassey (This is me!), 5th Place – robbie, 6th Place - capturedbykaren, 7th Place - cod, 8th Place - DLynn Photography, 9th Place - Lars Van De Goor, 10th Place - John Landolfi, 11th Place - Jade71301, 12th Place - gusnelsonphotography, 13th Place - Eric, 14th Place - hilltop, 15th Place - PhotoSteve, 16th Place -JWC Studios, 17th Place - vulaadams, 18th Place - Pamela01, 19th Place - BigRich, 20th Place - dconnellyphotography

The Photo Contest Give-A-Way winners:
Grand Prize - DonD2, 1st Place - photobod, 2nd Place - MajorMagee, 3rd Place - Lori G, 4th Place - jordanmcrae, 5th Place -McBeth Photography, 6th Place - crystal, 7th Place- Karl Wertanen, 8th Place- Chasrich, 9th Place- Cre8tivefix, 10th Place - Turbogirlie

Hope I am lucky enough to have you all in my friend list sooner or later...

Arvind Passey
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turbogirlie
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #72513 by MajorMagee
and there I was only hoping for 5th place so I could get the Topaz Labs Bundle...

I do have too much kit (from lens acquisition syndrome) for my current shoulder bag, and half of it ends up on the shelf when I travel, so the roller will be a nice enhancement.

I know I posted a relatively large number of photos, but I did try to limit it to ones that I took recently, and were of better than average quality. I hope people found some of them to be memorable.

Link To My Contest Photos

12 years 10 months ago #72523 by McBeth Photography

MajorMagee wrote: and there I was only hoping for 5th place so I could get the Topaz Labs Bundle...

Congratulations on your second place win!!

It is what it is.
12 years 10 months ago #72531 by MajorMagee
and to your win as well.

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
12 years 10 months ago #72533 by Stealthy Ninja

MajorMagee wrote: and there I was only hoping for 5th place so I could get the Topaz Labs Bundle...

I know I posted a relatively large number of photos, but I did try to limit it to ones that I took recently, and were of better than average quality. I hope people found some of them to be memorable.

I haven't seen you around the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MajorMagee
12 years 10 months ago #72595 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

I haven't seen you around the forum.

Pay attention, sleepy head. :thumbsup: Just kidding. 172 posts thus far for a relative newcomer is not bad. The major has made some good input.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #72613 by crystal
Now that the contest is over. How many of you people who join on the sole purpose to enter the contest in hopes to win the contest, will now not be an active member to this forum?
12 years 10 months ago #72629 by chasrich

crystal wrote: Now that the contest is over. How many of you people who join on the sole purpose to enter the contest in hopes to win the contest, will now not be an active member to this forum?

We might never know... Everyone not here - raise your hand!

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #72657 by DonD2

chasrich wrote:

crystal wrote: Now that the contest is over. How many of you people who join on the sole purpose to enter the contest in hopes to win the contest, will now not be an active member to this forum?

We might never know... Everyone not here - raise your hand!

:rofl: :rofl:
Charles strikes again...:rofl: :rofl:

Crystal I can't speak for anyone else, but I plan on sticking around, I've met some really great photographers / people since joining and this site is the best, the people on here are "Real" photographers who try to help whenever and however they can. Even when critiquing a photo (you noticed I said critiquing and not criticizing) they have only offered advice to help folks become a better photographer and or how they might improve their photo and not to tear folks down and make them feel better about themselves as is found on so many other photo sharing sites that I have participated in. Although we may cut up and kid each other a fair amount, when all is said and done, everyone that I have had any interaction with has seemed to have had as a goal to help me (anyone) become a better photographer or work through an issue. Great site, great people, great atmosphere. Kudos to the founders of this site, my hat is off to you and keep up the great work.
12 years 10 months ago #72663 by MajorMagee

By the way you defined it as "sole purpose" logic says none will.

By the tone of your post, the rest of "you people" may not want to.

I've been fairly active over at the micro four thirds forums since I bought my little E-PL1 camera back in January (Yes, I'm that new to photography). Admittedly, this contest had the desired effect of attracting me over here. If the experience is as good as it's been on the other site then I'll gladly stay and contribute here as well. If not, the I hope I've helped make it a better place by whatever input I did make.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #72741 by photobod
I am not sure but I dont think the decisions were made just on photo quality, if you take a look at the rules, Participation was a big part of the competition, so there may not be a particular photo that won for any of us, I guess we have to wait and see if Alex tells us the reasons for there choices, was it the team, was it independant or was it just on photo quality.

Whatever the reason I am elated at winning first prize, still keep going back to the page to see if my name has been suddenly withdrawn on a technicality :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .

Congratulations to all the winners in both competitions, lets not forget there were two lists so congrats go to Henry , Dave and Jan also the rest on that list.

I hope this becomes a regular thing on PT, maybe two or three times a year.
for now dont forget to join in Scotty's thread.
www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...-appreciation-thread

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago #72777 by DestinDave

photobod wrote: I am not sure but I dont think the decisions were made just on photo quality, if you take a look at the rules, Participation was a big part of the competition, so there may not be a particular photo that won for any of us, I guess we have to wait and see if Alex tells us the reasons for there choices, was it the team, was it independant or was it just on photo quality.

Whatever the reason I am elated at winning first prize, still keep going back to the page to see if my name has been suddenly withdrawn on a technicality :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .

Congratulations to all the winners in both competitions, lets not forget there were two lists so congrats go to Henry , Dave and Jan also the rest on that list.

I hope this becomes a regular thing on PT, maybe two or three times a year.
for now dont forget to join in Scotty's thread.
www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...-appreciation-thread

True and I agree.. after re-reading the contest page, nothing was even mentioned about images on the Registration side of the give-away... in fact it said all new registrants would be automatically entered and winners would be randomly selected.. Whatever the criteria and selection process, the contest had the desired effect - getting a lot of new members, sharing a lot of photographs, and making new friends. Seriously, more than 56,100 views and 7,800 replies to a single forum thread in 5 weeks - that could be a Guinness record! Like Crystal wondered, I'm sure many will disappear ( looks like a lot already did during the past month) but I've been around several forums and that's always the case. A very small percentage of members stay active over the long-haul. The ones who stay and contribute will enrich and inspire everyone else and vice-versa...

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #72867 by photobod

arvindpassey wrote: Congratulations to all...

The Registration Give-A-Way winners:
Grand Prize - Henry Peach, 1st Place - DestinDave, 2nd Place – NikonJan, 3rd Place – KCook, 4th Place – arvindpassey (This is me!), 5th Place – robbie, 6th Place - capturedbykaren, 7th Place - cod, 8th Place - DLynn Photography, 9th Place - Lars Van De Goor, 10th Place - John Landolfi, 11th Place - Jade71301, 12th Place - gusnelsonphotography, 13th Place - Eric, 14th Place - hilltop, 15th Place - PhotoSteve, 16th Place -JWC Studios, 17th Place - vulaadams, 18th Place - Pamela01, 19th Place - BigRich, 20th Place - dconnellyphotography

The Photo Contest Give-A-Way winners:
Grand Prize - DonD2, 1st Place - photobod, 2nd Place - MajorMagee, 3rd Place - Lori G, 4th Place - jordanmcrae, 5th Place -McBeth Photography, 6th Place - crystal, 7th Place- Karl Wertanen, 8th Place- Chasrich, 9th Place- Cre8tivefix, 10th Place - Turbogirlie

Hope I am lucky enough to have you all in my friend list sooner or later...

Arvind Passey

You are already on my friends list and darned pleased to have you there, congrats on your placing.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024