Large wedding when do you get 2nd shooter?

12 years 9 months ago #107404 by Pettigrew
I just got approached to shoot a large wedding of 280 people. This is by far the largest wedding I have shoot before. I have till tomorrow to get my pricing to them. I'm wondering at what point do you bring along a second shooter?

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #107406 by Nikonjan
I am usually a 2nd shooter and think it's always a good idea to have one. While one is taking formal shots the other is taking candids no matter what size the wedding. This way you have a couple different perspectives and can catch what the other didn't.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 9 months ago #107421 by mj~shutterbugg

Nikonjan wrote: I am usually a 2nd shooter and think it's always a good idea to have one. While one is taking formal shots the other is taking candids no matter what size the wedding. This way you have a couple different perspectives and can catch what the other didn't.

:agree: with Jan.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 9 months ago #107444 by ShutterGuy
A wedding with that many people I would definitely have one more photographer with you.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #107471 by Rob pix4u2
I always have a second shooter to help with the wedding no matter how big - will 280 people fit on the alter ??? You will need a wide angle lens for this one me thinks....

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #107770 by arkady001
2nd shooter will be needed at any wedding or event that requires you to be in two places at once - such as when Bridal-Prep and Groom-Prep coincide - otherwise you can manage by yourself, no matter how 'Big' the wedding - the groups will be the same size and occur at roughly the same intervals (if you've done your job properly and worked out the schedule with the client, venue and if present, the wedding-planner), no matter how many guests are in attendance...
Even if you're called upon to do a group-shot with all of them, it doesn't need two people to press the shutter...

Having a 2nd along just means you make less money unless you pass that cost on to the client (and these days who's going to stump up the extra 500+ notes just to bring what the client may percieve as 'insurance' for you not being up to the job by yourself...?)

12 years 9 months ago #107784 by photobod

arkady001 wrote: 2nd shooter will be needed at any wedding or event that requires you to be in two places at once - such as when Bridal-Prep and Groom-Prep coincide - otherwise you can manage by yourself, no matter how 'Big' the wedding - the groups will be the same size and occur at roughly the same intervals (if you've done your job properly and worked out the schedule with the client, venue and if present, the wedding-planner), no matter how many guests are in attendance...
Even if you're called upon to do a group-shot with all of them, it doesn't need two people to press the shutter...

Having a 2nd along just means you make less money unless you pass that cost on to the client (and these days who's going to stump up the extra 500+ notes just to bring what the client may percieve as 'insurance' for you not being up to the job by yourself...?)

Totally agree, I have shot a 350 wedding on my own as I knew that nothing clashed, on the other hand I have taken my 2nd shooter to a small wedding if as Arkady says the mens times clash with the ladies, its all about prep, I pay my 2nd shooter £200 and she is delighted, I always ask her to seek out the small details such as posies, table decor etc and she catches a lot of moments that I may not spot.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #107808 by Pettigrew
All good points, thank you everyone. I'm glad I signed up here. Making new friends and getting sound judgment calls :thumbsup:

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #107860 by Fpherion
I would think it's up to the photographer if they feel the need to have a 2nd shooter no matter the size of the wedding. The wedding could be 10 people or 500 people, either way could be a good idea to have a 2nd shooter. Such as the photographer could be with the bride, the 2nd shooter could be with the groom. Then both photographers shoot different angles of the ceremony and reception.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024