Looking for older film camera

13 years 3 months ago #10763 by gwen3654
I'm looking for an older film camera without all the bells and whistles to more or less just play around with. Quality of images would be nice, but not a priority. And I don't want to spend more than maybe $100 or so. Any suggestions.

13 years 3 months ago #10771 by Scuba Mike
Hmmm... I would strongly suggest bay, craigslist or Ken.com

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #10774 by Jorelskid

13 years 3 months ago #10777 by luckywish1
I saw a few on ebay last night you might want to go and look at. i saw a nikon film one last night on ebay

13 years 3 months ago #10783 by Rob pix4u2
Try pawn shops, camera shops used camera lists, B & H Photo has a huge selection of used stuff that is of good quality and working order. Recomend a Nikon FM 10 as a good full manual simple 35 mm or a similar Nikon AF model N65 as simple , easy to understand starter cameras

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #10852 by Jeffster
Don't forget Craigslist.org

Just watch out for scammers.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #11069 by NormC
Believe it or not, camera stores are usually full of older cameras. They take many on consignment wihen someone buys a newer model. You can find all types and models. Assuming you mean you want a 35 mm, the best thing is to look over the camera and choose the one that suits your needs. If you're not comfortable with who you're buying it from, ask if you can take it to a camera store / photographer you trust and let them look it over before you give anybody any money.

13 years 3 months ago #11437 by pennsylvania
And older camera without all the controls may be difficult to come by. See if you can find an Argus C3, an older Pentax (pre 1995) or a Nikkor.

13 years 3 months ago #11816 by debra_moore
With the advent of the digital, film cameras have lost some of the appeal to most. Search around and you should be able to pick up an older camera at a reasonable rate. Just get some sort of a guarantee that it works. Maybe a time limit to return it such as 2 weeks or so.

13 years 3 months ago #11860 by Steven Swanson

NormC wrote: Believe it or not, camera stores are usually full of older cameras. They take many on consignment wihen someone buys a newer model. You can find all types and models. Assuming you mean you want a 35 mm, the best thing is to look over the camera and choose the one that suits your needs. If you're not comfortable with who you're buying it from, ask if you can take it to a camera store / photographer you trust and let them look it over before you give anybody any money.

So true, also pawn shops might be a good place to find some older stuff

13 years 3 months ago #12965 by McBeth Photography
I just found a FM10 on craigs list for $25, Like new condition! Not much eletronically to go wrong on it, thats for sure! Looking forward to shooting some landscape, seascape, and cityscapes.

For a film newbie, any recommendations on film brands, processing labs, etc?

It is what it is.
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #12971 by Karl Wertanen

McBeth Photography wrote: I just found a FM10 on craigs list for $25, Like new condition! Not much eletronically to go wrong on it, thats for sure! Looking forward to shooting some landscape, seascape, and cityscapes.

Fugi Superia Reala 100 is a very nice film. I love it. Has a fine, smooth grain, excellent sharpness, excellent color accuracy (has a 4th color layer as apposed to the normal 3).
I process locally (well, somewhat locally, Taylor Photo, Toledo OH).
13 years 3 months ago #13011 by McBeth Photography
Thanks Karl,

Ill pick up a couple rolls next week, have you tried the Fuji Velvia 50?

It is what it is.
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #13037 by Karl Wertanen

McBeth Photography wrote: Thanks Karl,

Ill pick up a couple rolls next week, have you tried the Fuji Velvia 50?

Yes i have and it's a fantastic slide film. I just prefer print film. I'm not too big on having slides. Thats just my personal preference. :)

If i were to go back to slide film, that Velvia would be the one!

Also, if you can find that film locally, thats awesome because i cannot! It's hard to come by. I usually order mine from dealers stores on ebay. It's around $4.50US/roll.
13 years 3 months ago #13042 by Rob pix4u2

McBeth Photography wrote: I just found a FM10 on craigs list for $25, Like new condition! Not much eletronically to go wrong on it, thats for sure! Looking forward to shooting some landscape, seascape, and cityscapes.

I've used both Reala and Velvia and find both to be excellent landscape films. also if you can find AGFA 50 or 100 speed print films these have excellent color rendition and fine grain. For a High speed print film I highly recommend FUJI 800 PRO PRESS film for it's fine grain(for the speed) and extra stops of exposure in low light situations.Below is a shot with the 800 Fuji I took at sunset

And a shot with the AGFA 50 speed print film

and a shot with REALA print film from a trip to Alaska

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024