Lending Your Camera to a Friend

12 years 9 months ago #109035 by arkady001

Henry Peach wrote: It depends who it is. Most folks no. There are a few, professional and serious photographers, who I would have no problem lending my gear to. They have plenty of their own gear, so if they are asking I know it's an emergency. They will reciprocate when I'm in a jam.

This ^
...what goes around, comes around...I may be a in a spot sometime and need to borrow a lens that's not in my current line-up...unlikely, but you never know.

Plus I've been known to remove body-parts from people who've pissed me off in the past...

12 years 9 months ago #109039 by mj~shutterbugg
I wanted to add I have rented my camera out, under a contract with stipulations, to someone I knew who needed it for his 2nd shooter at a wedding. The stipulation was he would replace or repair said equipment if it was damaged. I also knew the 2nd shooter so I was comfortable with that.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 9 months ago #109077 by effron

mj~shutterbugg wrote: I wanted to add I have rented my camera out, under a contract with stipulations, to someone I knew who needed it for his 2nd shooter at a wedding. The stipulation was he would replace or repair said equipment if it was damaged. I also knew the 2nd shooter so I was comfortable with that.

Normally, you would never need a contract with a real friend, however lending out your gear will soon identify who your friends are.....B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #109080 by The Time Capturer

arkady001 wrote:

Henry Peach wrote: It depends who it is. Most folks no. There are a few, professional and serious photographers, who I would have no problem lending my gear to. They have plenty of their own gear, so if they are asking I know it's an emergency. They will reciprocate when I'm in a jam.

This ^
...what goes around, comes around...I may be a in a spot sometime and need to borrow a lens that's not in my current line-up...unlikely, but you never know.

Plus I've been known to remove body-parts from people who've pissed me off in the past...

I agree with your way of thinking and I used to think that way myself. Over the years, I've helped many people with many things and have never asked for anything in return. I've never really been selfish with anything. However, it seems to be the in thing these days to screw those that helped you out. When I have needed help, no one was there for me. I even had one "former" friend, that I had helped out constantly, actually get angry with me for asking for a favour.

Unfortunately, the older, and more experienced I get, the more hardened I am becoming. I don't wish to but I am struggling to survive right now and can't afford to have others take advantage of me.

P.S. Remind me not to piss you off. I have all the limbs I was born with and have grown quite attached to them. :)

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 9 months ago #109211 by Alex
That would be a no go for me

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #109212 by liam
my camera i wont unless i have worked extensively with the individual and find them to be trustworthy. lights and gear im a little more sharing with!
12 years 9 months ago #109394 by Rob pix4u2
I only have one friend that I would trust with my camera gear and that's the only one- he has an original Nikon F and has had it since the 1960s

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #109414 by TMR 001
Really close friend yes, close enough like a family member. Anyone else no.

12 years 9 months ago #109418 by Johnnie
I would never lend my camera's out to anyone!

12 years 9 months ago #109421 by DestinDave
Don't know how I missed this topic until now but,
Nope!

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 9 months ago #109424 by Dori
I made that mistake....once. I get nervous when my kids go within 5 ft of my gear.:nunu:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #109427 by Henry Peach
For a while I did have 3 extra DSLRs I wasn't using for work: 2 20Ds and a 40D. I would have lent those to friends without much concern, as they were just sitting and not being used (they weren't even back-ups). The shutter failed in one of the 20Ds, and I think repair is almost as much as the camera is worth. I had the other 20D converted to IR (this is a camera my photo buddies occasionally borrow). I gave the 40D to my brother when he had his daughter so he had a decent camera to take family pics. So now I'm down to just my work cameras and back-ups.
12 years 9 months ago #109431 by chasrich

DestinDave wrote: Don't know how I missed this topic until now but,
Nope!

I was gonna say "nobody but Dave" but if you're gonna be like that... :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #109434 by DestinDave

chasrich wrote:

DestinDave wrote: Don't know how I missed this topic until now but,
Nope!

I was gonna say "nobody but Dave" but if you're gonna be like that... :rofl:

Didn't think I even needed to mention that what's mine is yours:cheers:

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 9 months ago #109944 by PaperBoy
I hate to be a hard a$$ about this, but no way!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024