Lending Your Camera to a Friend

12 years 8 months ago #109035 by arkady001

Henry Peach wrote: It depends who it is. Most folks no. There are a few, professional and serious photographers, who I would have no problem lending my gear to. They have plenty of their own gear, so if they are asking I know it's an emergency. They will reciprocate when I'm in a jam.

This ^
...what goes around, comes around...I may be a in a spot sometime and need to borrow a lens that's not in my current line-up...unlikely, but you never know.

Plus I've been known to remove body-parts from people who've pissed me off in the past...

12 years 8 months ago #109039 by mj~shutterbugg
I wanted to add I have rented my camera out, under a contract with stipulations, to someone I knew who needed it for his 2nd shooter at a wedding. The stipulation was he would replace or repair said equipment if it was damaged. I also knew the 2nd shooter so I was comfortable with that.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 8 months ago #109077 by effron

mj~shutterbugg wrote: I wanted to add I have rented my camera out, under a contract with stipulations, to someone I knew who needed it for his 2nd shooter at a wedding. The stipulation was he would replace or repair said equipment if it was damaged. I also knew the 2nd shooter so I was comfortable with that.

Normally, you would never need a contract with a real friend, however lending out your gear will soon identify who your friends are.....B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #109080 by The Time Capturer

arkady001 wrote:

Henry Peach wrote: It depends who it is. Most folks no. There are a few, professional and serious photographers, who I would have no problem lending my gear to. They have plenty of their own gear, so if they are asking I know it's an emergency. They will reciprocate when I'm in a jam.

This ^
...what goes around, comes around...I may be a in a spot sometime and need to borrow a lens that's not in my current line-up...unlikely, but you never know.

Plus I've been known to remove body-parts from people who've pissed me off in the past...

I agree with your way of thinking and I used to think that way myself. Over the years, I've helped many people with many things and have never asked for anything in return. I've never really been selfish with anything. However, it seems to be the in thing these days to screw those that helped you out. When I have needed help, no one was there for me. I even had one "former" friend, that I had helped out constantly, actually get angry with me for asking for a favour.

Unfortunately, the older, and more experienced I get, the more hardened I am becoming. I don't wish to but I am struggling to survive right now and can't afford to have others take advantage of me.

P.S. Remind me not to piss you off. I have all the limbs I was born with and have grown quite attached to them. :)

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 8 months ago #109211 by Alex
That would be a no go for me

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #109212 by liam
my camera i wont unless i have worked extensively with the individual and find them to be trustworthy. lights and gear im a little more sharing with!
12 years 8 months ago #109394 by Rob pix4u2
I only have one friend that I would trust with my camera gear and that's the only one- he has an original Nikon F and has had it since the 1960s

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 8 months ago #109414 by TMR 001
Really close friend yes, close enough like a family member. Anyone else no.

12 years 8 months ago #109418 by Johnnie
I would never lend my camera's out to anyone!

12 years 8 months ago #109421 by DestinDave
Don't know how I missed this topic until now but,
Nope!

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 8 months ago #109424 by Dori
I made that mistake....once. I get nervous when my kids go within 5 ft of my gear.:nunu:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #109427 by Henry Peach
For a while I did have 3 extra DSLRs I wasn't using for work: 2 20Ds and a 40D. I would have lent those to friends without much concern, as they were just sitting and not being used (they weren't even back-ups). The shutter failed in one of the 20Ds, and I think repair is almost as much as the camera is worth. I had the other 20D converted to IR (this is a camera my photo buddies occasionally borrow). I gave the 40D to my brother when he had his daughter so he had a decent camera to take family pics. So now I'm down to just my work cameras and back-ups.
12 years 8 months ago #109431 by chasrich

DestinDave wrote: Don't know how I missed this topic until now but,
Nope!

I was gonna say "nobody but Dave" but if you're gonna be like that... :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago #109434 by DestinDave

chasrich wrote:

DestinDave wrote: Don't know how I missed this topic until now but,
Nope!

I was gonna say "nobody but Dave" but if you're gonna be like that... :rofl:

Didn't think I even needed to mention that what's mine is yours:cheers:

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 8 months ago #109944 by PaperBoy
I hate to be a hard a$$ about this, but no way!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024