Lending Your Camera to a Friend

12 years 3 months ago #184045 by ThatNikonGuy
It was a moment not to be forgotten!

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #194663 by lschaerer
Never never never

12 years 2 months ago #194700 by Darrell
I would for sure and I have and I have also borrowed from him, but it is understood if you break it than you fix or replace it... Would I led my stuff just to anyone, no no no.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #194702 by Kr15t
My point and shoot yes. Not my DSLR. I paid too much for my DSLR. :)

11 years 9 months ago #239435 by 270
I would be choosy. After all, back in the days when I was using a Canon G6, I was encouraging my 6yo granddaughter to use a camera. She took a perfect shot when she was 5 so I felt it important to encourage her.
All went well until the day I saw her going down a slippery slide with the camera around her neck!
Needless to say, it wasn't long before a suitable camera was bought for her.

My nephew has recently started a photography business. He bought a new camera but couldn't afford the flash to go with it. I didn't mind helping out with that. By then, my camera was a Canon 450D which I loved until it 'went to God' while I was photographing in an old church. I brought it back home with me, just in case it's having an out of body experience and hasn't truly died. Next up, I have to see whether I bury it or...

As I was overseas when my camera gave up, I needed another - pronto! After all, I was looking forward to taking pics at the Chelsea Flower Show when our tour crossed the Channel. I bought a 7D in Brussels.

I definitely wouldn't loan this one because of other factors that followed. I live in Australia but couldn't register the camera overseas. It was all too difficult. However, I still had a couple of days in which to do that when we arrived back here. The catch was I could only register it if I said the store where I purchased it was in New South Wales! Smelling a rat, I phoned Canon on the Monday and was told that my camera body isn't under warranty. Apparently the warranties are all regional these days. (Someone at my camera club mentioned that other companies follow this process, so it's not just Canon.) I had been told by a salesperson at FNAC that they believed that the guarantees were world wide. I've yet to tell them and to email the Canon Plus magazine in the UK, too. Next time, I'll take a backup with me so I don't have any guarantee issues.

If the 450D springs back to life, then I might consider loaning it. After all, one has to start somewhere. For my part, I'd like to have it as a camera for macro work so I'd not be handing over a macro lens, in that case. I'd offer the kit ones I've only used once.

I think loaning cameras is a very personal thing. The more money one can spare then that would make it easier to be generous. Just remember, if you don't look after yourself first, then you can't help anyone else out. This is not a selfish point of view. It's practical so don't let anyone project their views onto you. Stick by your decision. After all, you'll be needing a camera for your next best shot.

Sorry I can't post a shot right now. I'm just lucky to be online as one of my computer programs has frozen and I can't turn it off until I've copied my pics!

11 years 9 months ago #239446 by fm48
This is a no no My photography gear purpose is to make money for me. Not to lend it out .It has taken me quite a lot of time and money to acquire my photography equipment . If it is damaged in any way I am out of money to get it repaired.Even if they pay to get it repaired I will have to rent. Most people fall into 2 groups. They can replace it then they should be able to rent,or they cannot pay to replace or repair and have no business borrowing anything.

11 years 9 months ago #239462 by Lauri Majamaa
This topic is kind of absolute NO NO for me!

I agree with you guys, lending your camera is serious thing.

I just ordered a new 1Ds body, I definitely won't lend it to anyone. The only reason for that is simply that if it would get broken, I couldn't do my job. (Yeah, what would photographer be without his camera).

But because I have backup body, I might be lending that for a short period of time if that other person is a professional photographer or atleast I know that he or she can replace it if it would break...

Otherwise I would be ether very choosy or I would defenitely also say that "sorry, but I just don't lend it."

11 years 9 months ago #239561 by MYoung
I work too hard for my camera equipment to lend out. So the answer would have to be a respectable NO for me too.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #239608 by Rob pix4u2
I have loaned a spare body to a friend during a shoot or two this past hockey season but I was right there with him at the time.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 9 months ago #239649 by boriqua latina
I remember posting before here to never lend your camera to anyone, but as months went by and seeing this post once again, and seeing how people have lend me a hand, I'll say lend out the camera only if necessary , be with them , just know in your heart it's only someone good and trustworthy....having fear of lending it is when something bad happens to it...

11 years 9 months ago #239680 by Little Kate
Only my sister would I let borrow my camera

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #569006 by GabbyMell
Thanks to your post I just broke a personal paradigm about this topic.

A close friend borrowed one of my lenses more than one time. The first two times I felt so guilty saying no, that I did lent it, even if I did'n wanted to.

Next times, I started giving excuses, but after reading your article and the rest of the comments, I found the courage to say no, explaining the reasons in an honest way just like you did!

Happily, he understood and I feel so proud of myself because I take the best decision!!! Thank you guys again!! :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024