Why do you not shoot in RAW format?

12 years 9 months ago #110866 by Roger.T
I have read a few blogs about RAW this and RAW that, and how there is no higher. So why wouldn't you shoot in RAW?

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
12 years 9 months ago #110867 by Baydream
Speed. Photographing sports often requires rapid firing and processing RAW shots will slow your camera. Other times are "snapshots" where perfect exposure,etc. is not critical. RAW also takes up LOTS of memory on your card and your drives.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #110948 by Scotty

Baydream wrote: Speed. Photographing sports often requires rapid firing and processing RAW shots will slow your camera. Other times are "snapshots" where perfect exposure,etc. is not critical. RAW also takes up LOTS of memory on your card and your drives.

I concur. Really only sports.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #110960 by KCook
Also depends on the camera. With my Sony A200 RAW results were no better than JPG, so I just stuck to JPG. Now I have a Canon EOS 50D, and RAW is making more sense. And it certainly doesn't hurt that Canon ships some nice editing software for RAW with their cameras.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 9 months ago #110964 by Johnnie
I photograph in both RAW and JPG. I find that JPG with the correct settings can give wonderful results. Get it right in camera and things will be fine. I shoot Raw for critical shoots where important detail is required.

The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinA65
12 years 9 months ago #110984 by Stealthy Ninja
Anything that requires you to get your photos out really fast. Fashion, sports, journalism.
12 years 9 months ago #110985 by KevinA65

Johnnie wrote: I photograph in both RAW and JPG. I find that JPG with the correct settings can give wonderful results. Get it right in camera and things will be fine. I shoot Raw for critical shoots where important detail is required.

Agree 100% Raw when needed ( Import. Photos), and Jpeg when just doing a walk and shoot,
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #110988 by Stealthy Ninja

KevinA65 wrote:

Johnnie wrote: I photograph in both RAW and JPG. I find that JPG with the correct settings can give wonderful results. Get it right in camera and things will be fine. I shoot Raw for critical shoots where important detail is required.

Agree 100% Raw when needed ( Import. Photos), and Jpeg when just doing a walk and shoot,

I humbly disagree. With modern programs like Lightroom and the price of HDDs coming down and down there's no excuse for shooting jpeg only. Lightroom can be set up to handle your RAW files the way you like them (and does a better job than in camera, the NR and sharpening alone are better and you can use something like a colorchecker passport to do your own profiles for more accurate colour).

When you're doing casual shooting you never know when you'll see something worthy of RAW so to speak (like a sunset or something) so respectfully you should always shoot RAW unless your income depends on you getting the files out fast.

Johnnie didn't say he shoots jpeg only. He shoots RAW+Jpeg... RAW+Jpeg is fine if you want that, but never Jpeg on it's own (if you're serious about photography that is).

:)
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #111021 by Henry Peach
The only reason I would shoot jpeg is because I was limited to the in-camera processing for some reason. Either I couldn't get to a computer with processing software, or I had to deliver the pics right out of the camera. My cameras have faster fps in raw than I need or can keep up with anyway, so speed hasn't ever been an issue for me.

The reasons people don't shoot in raw are the same reasons people didn't develop their own film: they don't know how, it's too inconvenient, it takes too long, someone told them it was hard, etc...
12 years 9 months ago #111027 by Joves
Well I shoot RAW +Jpeg Fine and dont see my camera blowing down at all. I think a lot of that slowing is the cards and how fast they write from the buffer. I figure if my shots turn out as I wanted I can use the Jpeg right away for posting or sharing, if they need tweaking then I have the RAWs to fall back on. Also the other benefit of having the RAW is it is the original data, this is something to think about for Copyright violations. If you have the RAW data the theif will not so the RAW is essentially evidence. So I see no reason to not shoot RAW.

12 years 9 months ago #111060 by KCook

never Jpeg on it's own (if you're serious about photography that is)

It's all a matter of degree. You could just as easily say that anybody shooting with less than 35mm Full Frame is not serious about photography.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #111072 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote:

It's all a matter of degree. You could just as easily say that anybody shooting with less than 35mm Full Frame is not serious about photography.

Kelly

Don't mix categories. We're talking a file format that all good cameras can use and isn't that hard to work with. Even my Canon S95 can shoot in RAW.

It's there. If you're serious about photography you should use it (or learn to use it).

Unless of course you have a good reason not to (as stated above).

Free software (if your camera doesn't come with it:
ufraw.sourceforge.net/

Macs have iPhoto which should open RAW.

If not go here and it has some info on how to get it to work (look a few posts down):
discussions.apple.com/thread/2625299?start=0&tstart=0
12 years 9 months ago #111093 by chasrich
We all shoot in RAW. Do we save it in RAW is the question. The sensor output remains the same no matter what settings you apply. The cameras on board processor can convert it to jpeg instantaneously it is the write time for the larger RAW file that slows down.

That was a good point about the proof of ownership.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #111171 by Henry Peach

KCook wrote:

:agree:

Jpegs are like slides: what comes out of the camera is pretty much done cooking.

Raw are like negs: there are still plenty of processing options before the photo is finished.

They used to say "serious photographers shoot slides." Of course this was just as much BS as serious photographers shoot raw.
12 years 9 months ago #111181 by Baydream

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

KCook wrote:

Kelly

Don't mix categories. We're talking a file format that all good cameras can use and isn't that hard to work with. Even my Canon S95 can shoot in RAW.

It's there. If you're serious about photography you should use it (or learn to use it).

Unless of course you have a good reason not to (as stated above).

Free software (if your camera doesn't come with it:
ufraw.sourceforge.net/

Macs have iPhoto which should open RAW.

If not go here and it has some info on how to get it to work (look a few posts down):
discussions.apple.com/thread/2625299?start=0&tstart=0

It is a different subject but an excellent analogy. You can be serious about photography and not shoot RAW all the time.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024