Why do you not shoot in RAW format?

12 years 9 months ago #111184 by Henry Peach

chasrich wrote: We all shoot in RAW. Do we save it in RAW is the question.

:agree: It's just a matter of which processing software is used and when it is applied.
12 years 9 months ago #111188 by Baydream

Joves wrote: Well I shoot RAW +Jpeg Fine and dont see my camera blowing down at all. I think a lot of that slowing is the cards and how fast they write from the buffer. I figure if my shots turn out as I wanted I can use the Jpeg right away for posting or sharing, if they need tweaking then I have the RAWs to fall back on. Also the other benefit of having the RAW is it is the original data, this is something to think about for Copyright violations. If you have the RAW data the theif will not so the RAW is essentially evidence. So I see no reason to not shoot RAW.

If you don't see a slow down, you must not shoot "bursts". Even your manufacturers specs will show the "buffer" limitations of the camera. Most cameras will shoot unlimited large jpegs but limited RAW regardless of the card speed. Yes, the card has an impact but the camera has limitations (unless you have the highest end pro model, then possible).

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #111195 by Henry Peach
Canon DSLRs show how many files you have room for in the buffer in the viewfinder. I assume Nikon has something similar. With my old 20D it's usually about 6 raw files, 5DI 9 raw files, and 5DII 13 raw files. As long as you can pause momentarily between bursts it's not too hard to keep the camera shooting.
12 years 9 months ago #111204 by photobod
I only shoot in raw, and always save a copy of the raw files they are my negatives should I wish to go back and do any other work, I never thought of the copyright issue but I like it and will keep it in mind, I dont think it comes down to how serious you are about your photography, I just believe its a matter of choice, when I did shoots for an agency they wanted me to shoot jpeg only, could never understand that but its there choice, we all think differently and no one is right or wrong thats the beauty of life.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #111207 by ShotbyMe
Well I don't at all, because I don't feel the need to. It's not for me.

12 years 9 months ago #111228 by mj~shutterbugg
I shot jpeg for a long time because I didn't have good post processing for RAW. It was a PITA. I now have CS5 and it processes RAW beautifully, I have become a RAW convert. The only time lately I have shoot in jpeg was a lightening storm when I needed to keep shooting to catch the shot. Even then I try to stay in RAW.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024