How can you identify a bad photographer?

12 years 9 months ago #114553 by Henry Peach
How can you identify a bad painter? They're a photographer. ;)
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #114557 by Maria21

Henry Peach wrote: How can you identify a bad painter? They're a photographer. ;)

:rofl: That's funny. I actually do both .. I just do one better than the other....LOL :rofl: :rofl:

If you wanna see some low res images of some paintings I did for a psychology mag. I attached them. Mind you they were done almost 14 years ago.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Henry Peach
12 years 9 months ago #114559 by Rob pix4u2
nice paintings - my Dad was a painter and worked in charcoal/oils/watercolor and such. I was never that good so I picked up a camera and followed that route

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 9 months ago #114568 by Maria21
In a way I think we "paint" a photograph in the way we compose it's elements.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 9 months ago #114602 by ClaudetteDup
A good photographer would be able to pick up a film camera and know what to do! How to capture an image without using Photoshop to correct errors or get it an effect you can capture on a film.. Please don't think for one mintue I am anti digital I am not, I love what you can do with PS and digital images but if you learn the basic's on a film camera it will make your digital photography better.. Also a good photographer is always learning and dosen't know it all, we all learn something new everyday we shot .B)

12 years 9 months ago #114609 by Stealthy Ninja

Maria21 wrote: I for one think we are our own worst critiques, that being said I think a bad photographer is one who quits trying to do better in the very next shot.

Yeh I'm toally my worst critic. I voted for one of my photos in my PT gallery and the overall star rating went DOWN. :blink:

Rocket Man wrote: Photographers who claim to be experts (who aren't) and post ads on Craigslist

This pretty much sums it up:

This one is pretty funny too:
12 years 9 months ago #114625 by chasrich

Rob pix4u2 wrote: only the mediocre are always at their best

I like the message. No offense taken here Rob.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 9 months ago #114657 by crystal

Silver Fox wrote: Know it all photographers drive me up the wall!

:agree:
12 years 9 months ago #114669 by crystal
When the photographer thinks their work is better then many others out there.
When the photographer ask for constructive criticism, when they receive it, they go off the wall & defend their work. Instead of learning form it.
When the photographer needs to buy the same exact lenses a fellow photographer has, but announces to everyone else, they did the search on the lenses and knew it's what they needed.
When a photographer can not come up with their own photo ideas and blames a fellow photographer for copying.
When a photographer over uses photoshop to save a photo.
When a photographer resizes a photo to an 8x10 to upload to FB, for the sole purpose for people not to steal (you know smaller image, can't print), but fail to realize one can still print that 8x10 because the photographer never resize for the web.
When a photographer will never tell anyone how they took the photo, edit the photo or where the photo was taken. But insist other photographers answer the above ?s on their work.
When a photographer thinks they know Photoshop well enough to teach it (getting paid) and decide they rather teach, instead of shoot), when in the same sentence, they are still learning Photoshop..and asking other photographers how to do something.
When two photographers go out shooting, and the one blames the 2nd photographer for getting in the way for the reason of the poor photos.
12 years 9 months ago #114742 by Dave Burburry

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Maria21 wrote: I for one think we are our own worst critiques, that being said I think a bad photographer is one who quits trying to do better in the very next shot.

Yeh I'm toally my worst critic. I voted for one of my photos in my PT gallery and the overall star rating went DOWN. :blink:

Rocket Man wrote: Photographers who claim to be experts (who aren't) and post ads on Craigslist

This pretty much sums it up:

This one is pretty funny too:

The first video is a classic

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: boriqua latina
12 years 9 months ago #114764 by ClaudetteDup

crystal wrote: When the photographer thinks their work is better then many others out there.
When the photographer ask for constructive criticism, when they receive it, they go off the wall & defend their work. Instead of learning form it.
When the photographer needs to buy the same exact lenses a fellow photographer has, but announces to everyone else, they did the search on the lenses and knew it's what they needed.
When a photographer can not come up with their own photo ideas and blames a fellow photographer for copying.
When a photographer over uses photoshop to save a photo.
When a photographer resizes a photo to an 8x10 to upload to FB, for the sole purpose for people not to steal (you know smaller image, can't print), but fail to realize one can still print that 8x10 because the photographer never resize for the web.
When a photographer will never tell anyone how they took the photo, edit the photo or where the photo was taken. But insist other photographers answer the above ?s on their work.
When a photographer thinks they know Photoshop well enough to teach it (getting paid) and decide they rather teach, instead of shoot), when in the same sentence, they are still learning Photoshop..and asking other photographers how to do something.
When two photographers go out shooting, and the one blames the 2nd photographer for getting in the way for the reason of the poor photos.

:agree:

12 years 9 months ago #114775 by Henry Peach
They show up at black tie weddings in beach casual. They park in the handicap space. They use the Photoshop to make people look a little fatter. They don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom, and they borrowed your camera! :evil:

I read a lot of crazy stories on the internet, but in real life the photographers I meet seem like regular folks. Most are fairly pleasant whatever their skill level. You tell how good or bad photographer is by looking at their photos.
12 years 9 months ago #114804 by PasterJohn
Identify a bad photographer ..... Does the photo follow the rules? Does it have good range of color tones? Is it not over post process? Does it have good exposure? Does the photographer treat other photographers with respect, when out shooting or online chatting about photography?

12 years 9 months ago #114826 by JAWED ALAM
there is nothing like Good or bad Photographer....A photographer is a photographer... Some clicks subject/photograph by keeping in mind that how the viewers will see his/her picture and some clicks photograph by thinking how he/she feels about the subject which makes him/her happy...
There are two types of photographers
1. Photographers who are successful in sending his/her message/emotions through his/her photographs.
2. Photographers who are not successful in sending his/her message/emotions through his/her photographs.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bhillger
12 years 9 months ago #114931 by The Time Capturer

JAWED ALAM wrote: there is nothing like Good or bad Photographer....A photographer is a photographer... Some clicks subject/photograph by keeping in mind that how the viewers will see his/her picture and some clicks photograph by thinking how he/she feels about the subject which makes him/her happy...
There are two types of photographers
1. Photographers who are successful in sending his/her message/emotions through his/her photographs.
2. Photographers who are not successful in sending his/her message/emotions through his/her photographs.

I agree that an image should show emotion or tell a story ... otherwise it's just a picture.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JAWED ALAM

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024