How can you identify a bad photographer?

12 years 9 months ago #115074 by Frank The Tank

JAWED ALAM wrote: there is nothing like Good or bad Photographer....A photographer is a photographer... Some clicks subject/photograph by keeping in mind that how the viewers will see his/her picture and some clicks photograph by thinking how he/she feels about the subject which makes him/her happy...
There are two types of photographers
1. Photographers who are successful in sending his/her message/emotions through his/her photographs.
2. Photographers who are not successful in sending his/her message/emotions through his/her photographs.

Good post :agree:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: JAWED ALAM
12 years 8 months ago #129799 by Greg Warren Photography
Oh, I dunno.... they get their first SLR camera and do all their shooting in AUTO mode, aren't prepared to learn creative approaches to their work *lol*:duel:

12 years 8 months ago #129824 by chasrich
I went on a cruise once. The lady of the "other" couple had this really cool camera and was showing me all the neatoslick (NWA) things it had and could do. I was impressed until after several hours I noticed she was shadowing me and taking more or less the same shots that I was taking. I quickly formed a strategy to fix this annoyance. I took a bunch of photos of her doing stuff. She took a few shots of me and her camera broke! :rofl:

OK, back to the topic.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago #130707 by The Time Capturer
A few years ago, the cub scouts did a "clean up," picking up garbage along the rail trail. The newspaper photographer was there and he did the same thing ... following me. The funny part, he didn't start taking pictures until I did. :)

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #134419 by PhoenixPhotography

The Time Capturer wrote: Without seeing any examples, what I would think would make a bad photographer is one that doesn't learn from past mistakes and makes the same errors again and again becaue they are so hung up on themselves, they don't pay attention to critique.

:agree: :goodpost:

This to me is huge. Mainly because recently I've been learning a lot about reflectors and my flash etc. So most of my pictures that I have taken before hand I now don't like lol. That must mean I'm learning. So that must mean I'm becoming a better photographer. In my mind, a photographer who doesn't constantly learn and improve will never become a good photographer. They will be left behind with all the people who just like taking pictures. Which is good, as long as they don't try and make a business out of it.
I will get better and when I feel I am finally good enough, then I will say I"m a good photographer. And I think that's what will make the person a good photographer ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: bhillger
12 years 7 months ago #134438 by McBeth Photography
Self portrait with blown highlights from the flash on the iphone being reflected in the mirror.

It is what it is.
12 years 7 months ago #134442 by Rob pix4u2
a bad photographer is one with no creative drive and never takes the camera off of simple mode, uses a D3s for snapshots and wants you to be impressed with his/her camera and not the skills that made the image

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
12 years 7 months ago #134564 by Arkangel7x3
He used a fighter plane LMAO you should have asked him what type of camera he might have said an A-10 Canon and a B-52 flash

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
12 years 7 months ago #134568 by Arkangel7x3
Thats funny as hell

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
12 years 7 months ago #134622 by photobod

DestinDave wrote: No way, you good-lookin' Brit you!
(refers to Photobod's entry.. meant to quote it.. :unsure: )

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I wish

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #134821 by Joves
Does Olan Mills count as bad? whifincog.wordpress.com/2008/01/25/olan-mills-awesomeness/ old site but still funny.

12 years 7 months ago #135362 by The Time Capturer

PhoenixPhotography wrote:

The Time Capturer wrote: Without seeing any examples, what I would think would make a bad photographer is one that doesn't learn from past mistakes and makes the same errors again and again becaue they are so hung up on themselves, they don't pay attention to critique.

:agree: :goodpost:

This to me is huge. Mainly because recently I've been learning a lot about reflectors and my flash etc. So most of my pictures that I have taken before hand I now don't like lol. That must mean I'm learning. So that must mean I'm becoming a better photographer. In my mind, a photographer who doesn't constantly learn and improve will never become a good photographer. They will be left behind with all the people who just like taking pictures. Which is good, as long as they don't try and make a business out of it.
I will get better and when I feel I am finally good enough, then I will say I"m a good photographer. And I think that's what will make the person a good photographer ;)

I have a lot of images from the past that I was so proud of at the time. When I look at them now, they are crap and I'm actually embarassed to admit they are mine... I think we all go through that during our learning phase. The learning phase, concerning photography, I suspect to last a lifetime. If I stop learning, that would mean I have lost my interest in photography.

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 5 months ago #160502 by amielongphontography
I am fairly new to the Photography Business. took classes and entered in contests and I know I can use some work. But I have been taking pictures for over 20 years.Well My sister in law had me cracking up because she took her daughter to a park where they live and took some ok shots and Photoshoped the heck out of it and now thinks she can run a photography Business on her crapy Photoshoped pictures.....At first I was mad because she only lives like 20 mins from me but now I just sit back and Laugh. She really thinks shes that good because a few of her friends tell her they were really good photos.

12 years 5 months ago #160503 by StevenHallPhotography
I had a person bragging about being a photographer, after I caught her stealing one of my photos and posting as her own, she told me that one day I would understand that a good photographer creates their work in Photoshop...

12 years 5 months ago #161303 by Stealthy Ninja
LOL she stole your photo and "Created" her work in photoshop using the photo?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024