Do you think anyone can be a photographer?

12 years 6 months ago #145951 by MLKstudios
The best saying I've heard to define art is...

Leave it out by the trash. "If someone picks it up before the trash guy takes it, it must be art".

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 4 months ago #174628 by wenspics
If you own a pencil are you an artist?
Anyone with a good camera does not become a photographer.
Someone who can "see" something out of what other's may call nothing and show it in their work is a real photographer.
When I go out, it can be gloomy, sunny, whatever.. I can find something beautiful and show you how I see it. I may not be the best as there are always better, but fellow photographers will know exactly what I am saying ;)

12 years 4 months ago #174640 by lschaerer
I set up a booth at several art shows this year. I heard so many people come in to my booth and say "oh, I got a camera for (my birthday, etc), so I'm going to start taking pictures now. If the picture isn't good, I can just delete it."

12 years 4 months ago #174655 by kadalas
Anybody can be camera operator...I think a photographer means something different.

12 years 4 months ago #174674 by Rob pix4u2
I agree that anyone with a camera can take a snapshot but it takes something totally different to make a photograph

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 3 months ago #186873 by blather44
Sure, anyone can BE a picture taker. I have worked at it for 20 years...no schooling (no money!! haha), just learning what I can where I can, I have limited technical expertise, but I have heart and Im always willing. I encounter 16 yr old's whose parents buy them a fancy camera and high dollar photoshop & $$ lenses and they turn out decent stuff..and it does make me angry. Shoot, I can't even figure out why my photo's won't load on here.....You have to have the desire & the drive.

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #186906 by 707photoguy
Well I've been shooting since I was 13 yrs old, junior high yearbook blah blah blah!!!!!! it used to take more talent to even get a usable image, with a good ol' Pentax K1000. Now I can point my Canon Xti at darn near anything, and get what "some call a great shot" In my niche of drag race photography it takes some understanding of the subject also, 'course my saying is "I don't call it art, but it does require some skill". The best piece of knowledge I've ever heard was the only difference between an amateur and a pro is "the pro doesn't show anyone his mistakes". I don't really believe just anyone can do it, at least not reliably, and consistantly, ...............some just don't have a clue. But by definition, as many pointed out,......well of course! .........I personally don't go around calling myself a pro, I make some extra scratch with my photos, but nowhere near a living. Someday I'll be shootin for a race magazine and call myself a pro.

12 years 3 months ago #187023 by JHoward

707photoguy wrote: Well I've been shooting since I was 13 yrs old, junior high yearbook blah blah blah!!!!!! it used to take more talent to even get a usable image, with a good ol' Pentax K1000. Now I can point my Canon Xti at darn near anything, and get what "some call a great shot" In my niche of drag race photography it takes some understanding of the subject also, 'course my saying is "I don't call it art, but it does require some skill". The best piece of knowledge I've ever heard was the only difference between an amateur and a pro is "the pro doesn't show anyone his mistakes". I don't really believe just anyone can do it, at least not reliably, and consistantly, ...............some just don't have a clue. But by definition, as many pointed out,......well of course! .........I personally don't go around calling myself a pro, I make some extra scratch with my photos, but nowhere near a living. Someday I'll be shootin for a race magazine and call myself a pro.

How true this is!

Canon 7D & 1D MK III, Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.
12 years 3 months ago #189806 by Wild Mitch
Isn't that a loaded question! Yes anyone can be one, but a good photographer? Is a completely different story.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #236088 by ianmccronephotography
It's like the old joke....How many photographers does it take to change a lightbulb?

50.....one to change the lightbulb and 49 to say "I could've done that"!!

I agree, it's not all about technical knowledge, it's having the skill to capture the moment....that expression, that sunset, that moment in time. I bet if you ask the people who profess to be photographers , would they be prepared to get up at 3am to capture an early morning sunrise, they might not be as keen as they appear to be :-).

11 years 9 months ago #236142 by Whimsical opa
I believe the answer is yes, however, not semi or professional.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024