Thoughts on the Composition of this Image?

12 years 8 months ago #116874 by The Time Capturer
This image was shot on the toboganning hills at the conservation area. I chose to include the weeds in this shot because there were a lot of people just to the right. I have other shots of Dex being more active but, in this case, I wanted just him, taking a break. I thought the other people would be more distracting than the weeds because the weeds are part of the atmosphere of the location. What are your thoughts?

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
Attachments:
12 years 8 months ago #116880 by MLKstudios
Works for me. Not everything has to obey the rules.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #116881 by Rob pix4u2
nice candid portrait- don't see a problem

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 8 months ago #116925 by Dori
Works for me as well. I see the weed then see the main subject. The weed leads my eye to the child.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #116927 by crystal
It's fine that you include the weeds, but IMO that out of focus weed is distracting. The green weed/plant next to the child is nice in the frame. It adds to the picture, but the out of focus tall brown weed is distracting and because of that it looks like a snapshot.

I understand you didn't want the other people in the photo, but you could have moved to the right, to include less of that brown weed or none at all and just have the green tree next to the kid.
12 years 8 months ago #116938 by Baydream
This shot follows "the rules" as well as breaking them at the same time. An excellent example of doing both in the same capture.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #116949 by akphotograph
Love the photo, but the out of focus weed is a distraction to me also. Just my opinion.

12 years 8 months ago #116961 by chasrich
:agree: about the weed. It does not add to the photo. I love the pose though.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago #116969 by Baydream
I've looked at it again and without the weed, the composition would be weak with nothing to draw the eye. Because the weed is out of focus, the eye does not stop on it but moves to the child.
Try visually cloning out the weed and the photo is crisp but much less interesting.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #116986 by crystal
My eye goes to the child and to the weed. I know the child is the subject, but my eye can not help but see the weed first. Then when I do look at the child, since the weed is next to the childs head, I follow the weed.

Overall the composition is not bad at all. It's just that out of focus weed is distracting. The child does stand out, but that weed is almost as tall as the whole image. And at that angle it is bigger then the child. If that weed was the same size as the green branch in the foreground, then I wouldn't say anything.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #116989 by Baydream

crystal wrote: My eye goes to the child and to the weed. I know the child is the subject, but my eye can not help but see the weed first. Then when I do look at the child, since the weed is next to the childs head, I follow the weed.

Overall the composition is not bad at all. It's just that out of focus weed is distracting. The child does stand out, but that weed is almost as tall as the whole image. And at that angle it is bigger then the child. If that weed was the same size as the green branch in the foreground, then I wouldn't say anything.

That's what makes composition so subjective. Without the weed, my "eye" was split between the bushes and the child (and the child was facing out of the frame).
WIthout the weed, I would have cropped and kept the top right 1/3 of the shot,
Glad we can agree to disagree.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #116991 by Tammyluvshorses
Well I think it's a beautiful image altogether, with the weed or without it. :thumbsup:

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #117075 by Scotty

crystal wrote: It's fine that you include the weeds, but IMO that out of focus weed is distracting. The green weed/plant next to the child is nice in the frame. It adds to the picture, but the out of focus tall brown weed is distracting and because of that it looks like a snapshot.

I understand you didn't want the other people in the photo, but you could have moved to the right, to include less of that brown weed or none at all and just have the green tree next to the kid.

I agree. It's distracting the crap out of me. I'd edit it out.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #117086 by The Time Capturer
LOL! This is a perfect example of how we all see things differently. Personally, I hate that blurry weed. I was sitting down, taking a break myself and was right beside one of the jumps. If I got up and moved to the right, not only would I have put myself in danger, but I would've distracted his attention. Dexter isn't used to being photographed so when he sees the camera pointed at him, he thinks he has to pose and smile and I didn't want that. I was one of those take it or leave it shots.

Thanks for all the input. :)

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024